Rhino Records Summer of Love issues, July 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob J, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

e.s. likes this.
  2. MisterBritt

I can't really tell from this post if you're looking for opinions. I got Aretha Arrives yesterday and promised to review it here. I guess I don't have much to say. I think it sounds fine. I just don't think it's that great a record based on content.

While what I'm about to say goes beyond the scope of the Summer of Love catalog we are discussing -- just to say it anyhow -- if you don't already have the Aretha Franklin I Never Loved a Man, Rhino did that one too a few years ago, therefore not as part of this recent Summer of Love catalog. It was, however, released in 1967. It fits the bill.

In searching the usual suspects, elusivedisc, musicdirect, amazon, I am not really seeing it available. There are some on eBay from international sellers and there's one on amazon for $75 but that sounds like a lot to pay. 4 Men with Beards did it but I've never heard that.

I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You - Wikipedia

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  3. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Do you mean this one on Amazon, I think this is the Rhino reissue, I bought it from Amazon UK when it came out for £10. However in the UK it came out in 2015, Amazon say 2013?
    ARETHA FRANKLIN - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You - Amazon.com Music

MisterBritt likes this.
  4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

ggergm and MisterBritt like this.
  5. MisterBritt

6. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Could you post a picture of the deadwax of a release showing both GZ and Record Industry?

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Yes. I bought a copy from Amazon direct (not marketplace) and it has his signature.

ClausH and 0476pearljam like this.
  8. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I really wanted the Dusty in Memphis from this series, but it's not available in the UK, whereas other titles like the Tim Buckley, Aretha and Rascals are available over here. The only reason I can fathom is that UMC brought out a fairly uninspiring re-issue in January, with the UK cover - so perhaps this particular title is somehow prohibited from being offered in the UK/EU.

To get the US Summer of Love re-issue of Dusty in Memphis, I would have to order it directly from the US at a cost of £36 minimum, and risk the possibility of customs charges. So instead, I've picked up the AP 45 at £42 - I figured I might as well have what probably is the ultimate version for just a few pounds more, and it sounds stunning - I'd like to have the latest 33rpm version, but until I can get it much more cheaply, I'm happy to flip sides twice as often...

9. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Haven't heard the mono version yet totally agree, the AP is spectacular! Without a doubt one of my favourite records period, just superb sounding.

Revolver, Summerisle and JP Christian like this.
  10. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I believe the new Summer of Love re-issue is Stereo - I don't think it was ever issued in mono, even in the UK where we had mono releases (the later ones were fold-downs) until 1970.

Somerset Scholar and e.s. like this.
  11. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I can't get images to work on here anymore.

but.. the code number for Record Industry is 19569 1A and the code number for GZ Vinyl is 158913E1/A

That's for side 1.

I have the same issue with some of the Tom Petty reissues.. Some have a Record Industry code and an Optimal code. It is sworn they are pressed at Optimal. NO ONE responded to me in the Tom Petty reissue thread about this.

Just like with Aretha and some of these other releases.. somebody is probably doing the plating and somebody is doing the pressing.. involving facilities which are able to do both.

bibijeebies likes this.
  12. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

I got the Van Morrison pressing today, sounds outstanding to me. Very quiet pressing and at times when the vibes or xylophone are played the sound fills the room and the notes just hang in the air. Immediately turned me on from a listening perspective. I haven't much experience, sorry to say, with this album however my observations are that on a few tracks the folks who worked on this must of had a heck of a time with a few vocal passages. Vans powerful voice sounds to have gone into the red during some sssssssss lyrics almost to the point of nastiness. It sounds to me everything was done to tame it back. Not a deal breaker though from my point of view. Will listen to the digital version I downloaded to compare if I pick up on that again or if it is in my playback chain/stylus issue.

MisterBritt likes this.
  13. now_sounds

now_sounds Forum Resident

My original US mono copy is a gatefold tip-on.

chacha likes this.
  14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Did anyone get the Transparent Days 2-lp collection?

15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes. I was mistaken on that.

16. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

Quick question: has anyone who purchased the Arlo Guthrie "Alice's Restaurant" mono issue compared the timings and/or content to a stereo copy? I have read conflicting opinions on other threads as to whether it is a fold-down of the stereo or a dedicated mix. Any information (or reviews) on this lp would be appreciated.

Thanks!

chacha likes this.
  17. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Looking forward to hearing your further views. I almost "bit" at £15.99 in HMV today but held back. Probably because I have 2 pressings already and a CD!

Alofter likes this.
  18. Mad shadows

Mad shadows Forum Resident

Just picked up the summer of love reissue of Loves debut. I have a stereo original to compare it with.
    My first impression is that the mono mix is superior.
    Arthurs singing is more upfront, the harmonies in the music is clearer and the bas is fatter and propels the music in an magnificent way.
    And did I mentions that the mono flat out rocks.

19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'm interested in SQ/source feedback about Aretha Arrives and Dusty In Memphis. Anyone dive in yet? NP my 70's RI of Aretha Arrives. Must be a RCA Record Club edition...has the plum/gold label but stereo. Pretty noisy VG copy but I'm diggin' side 1...time to flip.

20. chacha

Aretha Arrives sounds really strong - better in some ways than my original mono. More weight.
    Dusty I'm not quite sure on first listen. Her voice sounded a bit more metallic than my original ( but the original has its own problems). Wonderful album.
    I recommend buying both especially if you don't already have them.

21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

thanks chacha. I have an Aretha VG stereo 70's RI as I stated above so I'd love to hear the new mono. I do have the much berated 4 Men for Dusty and a VG+ original with a few ticks so I would like to check out the new Summer Of Love RI's for replacement of what I now have. Seems they'd be an upgrade from what I'm reading in this thread.

22. chacha

Definitely. I think you'll be happy with both.

23. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's that same mastering as the 2009 Rhino. Fremer discusses the sibilants in his review of the Test Pressings. The sibilants are recorded. Exclusive Preview: Van Morrison's Legendary Astral Weeks on 180g Vinyl

Alofter likes this.
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The band didn't even form until December '67 and their debut "Jethro Toe" single Sunshine Day/Aeroplane didn't come out until well into '68. Plus "Sunshine Day" would fit a hippie comp better than "Living In The Past," and it's rare.

25. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

I am interested in feedback about Love's first record, vanilla fudge's first record and triangle by the beau brummels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.