Rhino/Warner ~ Original Album Series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Django

Django Forum Resident

I got the Chic set.

1 Chic
    2 C'est Chic
    3 Risque
    4 Real People
    5 Take it off

Sounds fine to me.

kennyluc1 likes this.
  2. I'd just like to point out that this thread refers to the Rhino/Warner 'Original Album Series' sets yet I see some folks are referencing Sony/Legacy's 'Original Album Classics' sets. Similar beasts as far as packaging etc goes but I have noticed differences. For instance, Sony's sets vary in so much that depending on the artist they may contain either three or five complete albums, whereas all the Rhino/Warner sets contain five. In some instances the Sony sets contain bonus tracks as they were included on the original CD release, whereas the Rhino/Warner sets seem to omit bonus tracks. With respect to both, the mastering is mixed and varys from album to album even within a box. Some albums are issued with the lastest remaster others use the original masterings. For what they are they are good buys but they are issued on the cheap so caveat emptor!

garythain likes this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Yep. In Australia the 5 are $20 and the Complete (11 CDs) are $44. :D

4. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

Just purchased the Alanis Morissette series off Zavvi for only 8.05 with the aid of a 10% discount code, it also priced 8.99 on amazon uk. Just stunned at how cheap that set was!

5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

The Lovin Spoonful one is the only place to get the John Sebastian-less "Revelation: Revolution '69" for what that's worth...not sure about sound quality vs. recent Edsel reissues

Attached Files:

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  6. Rottenstain

Rottenstain Forum Resident

Just re-read the thread it seems they not included the booklets, oh well order cancelled sorry.

7. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

They provide several albums at a low price per CD but skimp on the packaging....so it's one step above simply downloading the albums....they are good for building the Music Server with complete albums vs. best of.

Some artists like Madonna are really cheap used so I prefer getting the original CDs with original CD packaging.

The Lovin Spoonful seems more tempting.

Attached Files:

8. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

I'd like to know this too. Thanks.

9. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The most stooopid Sony one is the third volume of the Elvis boxes. It's supposed to be soundtrack albums but one of the albums included is Pot Luck. Don't these guys ever check the facts??

10. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Original Album Series

At Xmas I bought the Randy Newman set (first five albums no remasters) luvved it, recently I bought the Ray Charles (five prime albums no remasters) it's not available in the U.S. and that set was OK, last week I got the Harry Chapin (first five albums no remasters) and I'll report back.
    These sets are wonderful if you don't already have anything by the artist.
    Regards, Trevor.

11. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Sony's boxes seem to be less well presented with random albums thrown together more often than not.

Speaking of getting your facts wrong...here's the spiel on the back of the Journey one - "Albums from 1978-1986 are covered here and includes the huge hit Dont Stop Believin' as well as being the first 5 albums featuring vocalist Steve Perry in the new line up"

The box includes Infinity, Evolution, Escape, Frontiers and Raised On Radio but alas the 3rd album with Perry Departure is nowhere to be found!!:confused:

12. The Dionne Warwick set is good, albeit stereo.

13. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

I have this set. I don't have any comparison, but I can tell you that the first 3 CDs are very quiet.
    RG values of +0.3dB, -3.2dB and -3.1dB respectively.

BTW, EMI has jumped on the bandwagon. Amazon UK has 4CD boxsets of Duran Duran, Supergrass, Roxy Music, later years Ramones, etc

14. Scott57

Scott57 Forum Resident

I got my introduction to Rory Gallager through this set.

chumlie likes this.
  15. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

are the Nina Simone sets Warner or Sony? and which would you reccomend to a total Nina noob?

16. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

Harry Chapin, highly recommended....

I'm really enjoying the Harry Chapin set, I've never listened to his music before, a revelation and the sound quality is fine too, highly recommended.
    Regards, Trevor.
    P.S. I think I'll try the Patti Smith Original Album Classics set next but that's for another thread.

17. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Someone at the New Wave Outpost forum claims that the supposedly withdrawn Prince Original Album series box is readily available on the shelves in Australian shops. Does anyone know about this? I thought this release was cancelled prior to the actual release date...

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

It was everywhere on the weekend. Huge displays of the Prince and Madonna in JB Hifi

19. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I wonder if they are just the original albums completely untouched. It would be cool if they were at least tweaked a bit. Im guessing with Prince touring they want to have something like this out for when he gets here this month.

Steve

20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I should have it this week I'll post info

21. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

The Prince set I've had for soem time...standard issue cds..no tweaking!

22. chodad

chodad Hodad

Just picked up the Byrds and Spirit sets. Greta stuff.

23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Those are part of the Columbia Album Series....not the Rhino/Warner ones.

24. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

noname74 et al, there have been numerous attempts to persuade people to distinguish between the Warner Original Album series and the Sony Original Album Classics and so far we have all failed....

25. jonathan

jonathan Senior Member

I knew the Byrds and Spirit had a lot of members, but...

Attached Files: