RIAA Articles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

On the RIAA website, there are a number of articles involving pirating, CD Copying, Napster and the like.

Briefly, the summation is that the RIAA wants to push technology back 40 years.

They feel:

Consumers have no right to copy anything.

Cd Burners and the companies who make them are the Devils Children.

Gateway Computers has no right to say that they "Support Our Right to Digital Downloads", because we have no such right.

CD copying is responsible for the severe slump in Record sales. Not bad music, not bad signings, not irresponsible record executives, not ridiculous marketing plans that guarantee over the hill singers 100 million dollars. No, its Cd copying's fault

Sending music over the internet must be banned. Consumers cant be allowed to do this. I guess thats a lot different than borrowing your brothers Beatles LP and making a cassette for yourself. How its different, I dont know.

The record companies and the movie business and all of Hollywood will cease to exist because of CD copying and internet file swapping.

Of course, GOOD Cds still will generate millions for the record industry. GOOD movies will still make trillions for the movie industry. But that doesnt matter. The BAD ones that lose money are CD Burners and DVD Burners fault.

>>>>>A funny comparison is that in the 1920s, if you wanted music in your house, you had a victrola, and your favorite records. Then,
    This newfangled thing called RADIO put FREE MUSIC into the house!!! This will kill the record business!! Music on the radio cant be allowed!!!
    Whose gonna BUY a record if they can hear it free on the radio??

Isnt it funny that every generation has technology thats going to "Kill the entertainment business" and what happens is that the entertainment business makes trillions BECAUSE of it every time?

You would think after 100 years, they would learn.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Give us tube amps, half-track tape and vinyl. Then, proceed to shut up, record geeks.

Course, this will never happen, so too bad. CD technology is clone-able, and they knew it long ago. Duh, it's Data!

I love CDs. I do, I do I do (said like the cowardly lion). This too, shall pass.

Pretty soon, we'll have a flat-platform of communication, the way of a walkman/cellphone/palm pilot. Kids in class will be beaming whole album sides to each other in the hallways. ;)

3. Matt

Matt New Member

Pffftt. These guys never stop whining. Has history ever proved these guys right? It seems like every major technological advance in the music industry is followed by an alarmist reaction by the RIAA. Everything from broadcasting on radio to audio cassettes and now this. How come they don't put up a fuss about the other "evils" going on in the music industry? You know, labels and managers/agents screwing artists out of royalties, publishing, etc.?

4. RetroSmith

screw

Because Matt, its a whole lot eaiser to make money by forcing each and every music consumer to spend more of his/her own money. Even if by doing that, they violate our rights as consumers, and laws that THEY THEMSLEVES put into place.

You know, one reason why cd prices are so high is because built into the price of EVERY CD is a margin to cover what the Record Companies said they would "lose" by Home Copying, under the Fair Use Act.

Now, these SAME companies want to put copy protection on every CD, to make it impossible for you to copy a CD. So, if they DO, are CD prices going to be reduced by that predefined amount?

Never.

Someone should ask Hillary Rosen THAT question. Lets she how she bulls her way out of that.

The good thing is that the public KNOWS that the RIAA is full of crap. We can only hope the government does.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You know, I can see why they'd say this - and I can see their point. If there is going to be a happy medium, where reasonable personal copying is allowed but mass produced copying for either profit or music sharing (as in 20 people chip in 1 dollar and one person gets the original CD and 19 people get a CDR) is not allowed, they have to take the extreme view.

RIAA - no copying allowed, ever! You can't even listen to music in public unless it's licensed (like at a radio station).

Free World: Copying is a right and can't be denied to anyone.

Happy medium: See first paragraph.

So it'll go to the courts and be resolved reasonably. Fair to everyone. I hope. :D

See what I mean? Or am I wrong?

BTW Mikey, I love the 1920's story! I just think the music industry is afraid to change, don't you?

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

I am still waiting for the advent of cassttes to "cause the record industry to collapse".

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I agree that this is crap. New technology is what makes money. I'd tell the RIAA to let technology evolve and will not want to listen to their BS.

8. RetroSmith

Change

Hewy Gary, you are 100% right. The music bix has always been afraid of change.

Its pretty incredible. The fact that the record companies paradigm is now obsolete must scare the crap out of the old men and accountants that run the record business.

For years its been "We'll give the public what WE want to give them". Problem is, the REST of the country operates on a Customer driven model, in other words, the public demands drive what goods get offered for sale.

Until the record companies shift their paradigm completely to the public model, Cd copying, file sharing and downloading will proliferate.

Dont they GET IT? Give the public what THEY want, not what you SAYT they want, and they WILL pay for it!!!! It doesnt take a genius, guys.

Mikey

9. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Piracy is what drives this business. It is the purpose Music Companies are in business these days.

From everything from cost of software to new software technology, it justifies the ever increasing high costs for these things, that keeps them in business. If it were not for this illegal activity and the want of Music Companies to create more "illegal activity", we would be paying lower cost per unit price for CD's.

10. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I think Roger McGuinn summarized it best in "So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star" - the Company is not interested in selling music, but in selling plastic.

And that ain't gonna change.

Home taping is killing music,

burningfool

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Record Labels--the current state of affairs

All,

I do not believe that home taping is "killing" the record business! Home taping has been going on for decades in one form or another and nothing is going to change that. I am not talking about piracy, but legitimate personal use home taping. What is hurting the record business is poor quality product that is largely marketed to pre-teens, teens and young adults without signficant regard for those of us over 25 years of age. The demise of the wide, traditional Top 40 Radio format has also the hurt the business. There is, simply, too much market differentation. The major labels treat their older catalog much like they treat the music marketed to the younger audience--with more fluff and hype than substance and largely poorly mastered as well. The record labels never appear to want to take responsibility for their own poor performance. Rather, they blame the consumer--their customers. Interestingly, the many mergers and consolidations from the business end of the industry have focused the labels on the "quick buck" and quarterly earnings that have, ultimately, affected the music being recorded and the way it is mastered and released. Too much short-term thinking. Ridiculous contracts with non-deserving artists have also hurt the business significantly.

Record labels remind me of the Airlines in many respects. They have lost sight of the customer. There is an old adage about the airlines--"they are great as long as you are going where they want to take you when they want to take you". The same can be said about the record business!

Bob :eek:

12. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yes, Bob, and then when BIG companies with big 'fly-by-night' pop groups make enough money off their spoon-fed teen music to swallow a smaller company they take the aquired company's catalogue and sit on it.

At least this might be benificial to 'special market' companies like DCC, Mosaic, MFSL, S&P, Rhino, etc. to release some of those long forgotten, shelved goodies the way they should be.

13. Bob Lovely

Alex,

Bravo!...great observations.

Bob :)

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Home taping may not be hurting the music business probably because it's a different format than a CD or LP. But I'll bet home taping hurts the "pre recorded tape" music business. Why buy a cassette of the music as well as the LP or CD when you can get a higher quality blank cassette, control your own recording levels, etc. for much less than a pre-recorded cassette?

But I'll bet the CDR copying is hurting the CD music business. Why? It's an exact copy of a music CD or at least one that is pretty darn close and costs a fraction of a pre-recorded CD. You can play it on the same CD player. It's the same format!

Proof? This is why HMV changed their policy on taking music CD returns. One could invest $20.00, buy a CD, copy it, return it, buy the next CD, copy it, return it, buy the next CD..... see what I mean?

15. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

RIAA wants it both ways.

Create and exploit software technology to pedal their plastic, and slap you on the hand and say "no, no, you cant do that".

As long as it serves their purposes they will sound stupid...and gladly take your money.

Hypocrites and thieves !

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

How often do you even see pre-recorded cassettes anymore. Not even Best Buy carries them. CDR copying also pays some money into RIAA, anyone that buys blank "music" CDs, part of the price is for licensing.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

As person who has written and recorded music, I resent the cavileer attitude by some of you on here. I personally think it isn't a big deal to make a copy of some music for a friend and swap back and forth. However some people are boot legging copies and selling them. Some people are just tight wads and are trying to save a buck at the expense of the recording artist. With the internet being accesible to millions of people the possibility of whole sale piracy exists.

Perhaps if we could duplicate the work that some of you do for free I could save some money too.

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sure, why not, Mike NYC? They OWN the music rights (copyright) and are making money from them. Forever.

Really, though, I'm not too upset about the consumer, you know. So we can't download or the RIAA does not like home copying - Who Cares? - at least the music - or some of it! - is available somewhere!

Well OK, maybe copy protection is upsetting.....

But I really get upset about the music rights - like television rights, movie rights. Oona Chaplin is very well off because Charlie Chaplin had written into his contract with the movie studios that all rights to his films reverted back to him after 10 years. Good move, Charlie! Smart businessman?! Yes!

But how many bands signed away the rights to their music just to get signed? Lynyrd does not own their first two LPs. They never make a penny from their sales. Who knows how many more artists there are who signed contrats with the record companies like this?

You know what we need? A new record company to spin the music world on it's ear! Available downloads by preauthorized internet account, mail order or intenet order for company produced CDs, sign their own artists with fair contracts, promotion for their artists by the artists request only or suggestions from the company, etc.

What else can this new type of music company do? Anyone want to create something here?

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good point, Tullman. I tried to raise this point, too, on another thread. You are ripping off the artist, the person who wrote the music, by free copying.

And, I might add, ripping off the company who licensed the music rights - like DCC, MFSL, etc.

Simply put, if you can't or don't want to purchase a CD at full price, you don't get the CD! I want a Mercedes but don't want to pay more than $10,000.00 for it. It's my right to drive, isn't it? The auto industry should change for the consumer.

Should I go to the salesman, slip him $10K and drive off? Isn't this the same thing as copying a CD on a $2.00 CDR and taking the original CD back to the store?

20. RetroSmith

Tightwads

Well, that was ALWAYS the case.

Actually, I dont see any huge difference now than in the 70's.

I went to School with a guy who had a Nakamichi Cassettes deck, and a TELEX cassette copier that did 4 cassettes at a time.

He would buy a new Lp the day it was released, and he next day bring like 25 cassette copies to school, which he sold for 4 bucks each.

The point is, bootlegers have been around since 1890 when an enterprising guy made bootleg records of the Metropolitan Opera, and they will probably be around 100 years from now intecepting satellite music transmission.

21. Bob Lovely

A Point of Reference

All,

We all need to remember that copying music for your own personal use from music you have personally purchased is perfectly legal. Any type of "commercial" distribution is, of course, illegal.

Bob :)

22. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I guess I should have put my tongue more firmly in my cheek when I posted this, because I do not believe that home taping is killing music. I do however find it somewhat amusing that the record industry continues to cling to old business models (sell plastic) in the face of ever expanding technology. Their response has always been the same: litigate, or attempt to thwart those who would promote the use and dissemination of that technology. Think about the efforts to tax blank tapes, the DAT hysteria and now CD copy protection. It's a well established pattern of behavior on the part of the major labels. And it's almost laughable how poorly they execute their plans.

I was once employed by ASCAP, so I certainly understand and respect the right of the copyright holder to protect their intellectual property rights. But songwriters are not the same as record companies. They don't share the same interests, really. I just resent the tactics used by the labels to try to protect their own business interests.

23. RetroSmith

efforts

Well, the efforts are silly, really, becase anyone who REALLY wants to pirate music will still do it, even if its a little harder. That wont stop 99% of the professional pirates. And THATs where the real money loss is, not in Joe Blow making a couple of Cds for his friends.

24. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Re: efforts

Exactly, only the average guy loses.

25. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Piracy is illegal...it's that simple. But the original topic of this thread is about personal duplication. Not for profit duplication. This is where we should all draw the line and thumb our noses at the hypocritcal "digital-tech" regulations that the RIAA want to see passed.

Off-topic: it's the record companies that are not paying proper royalties and decent wages to artists, not the consumer. I think it's rude to tell consumers that they should pay more to compensate for the industry's BS.

Off-topic #2: How many of us have a VHS video collection of your own recordings? How many us prefer to buy CDs at the cheaper used prices at our local 'second-time-around' stores? Good questions to ponder within ourselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.