Rian Johnson creating a new Star Wars Trilogy!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JWew, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

It doesn't matter-it will say 'STAR WARS', and there will be a crawl, and people will eat it up.

RK2249 likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Presumably it will be about some kind of space war, which is really all that's required...

Guys, Disney paid billions for LucasFilms/Star Wars. They're going to be making these movies for like the next 30+ years at least so they can have marketing tie-ins and new theme park attractions.

3. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

No, he just had everything to do with that god-awful prequel trilogy, and the semi-horrible ROTJ.

He's directed 2 good movies in his life (that I know of)...THX-1138 and Star Wars (never saw American Graffiti)

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Now we'll have NuWars to go along with our NuTrek. Exciting times.

5. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I'd rather take the so-awful-they're-funny prequels over a shameless rehash any day.

6. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

If you're referring to The Force Awakens, I agree. Rogue One was ok. But the prequels are unwatchable.

Haristar likes this.
  7. I agree with your sentiment, at least to a point.
    I find myself tired of any new STAR WARS movie simply for the sake of making another movie.

I find myself really tired of portions of the movie existing only to tie in the video game portion of the marketing scheme (watch the whole chase/escape scene when Rey steals the Millennium Falcon and gets chased through a bigger downed ship by a tie fighter)
    No reason for that whole sequence other than to tie into the events of playing the video game...Not to mention the unrealistic outcome of a freighter being chased through a technical course by a nimble Tie fighter.

You can trust me when I say I really enjoy Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon and all it represents...but it is not magic.

Now, if the writers can come up with a good story and good characters, I am in. Even if it is under the STAR WARS umbrella I can enjoy it as long as it is good.

This is where my caution flags go up. Disney is driven to make movies to sell products on all levels. They are not driven to make movies based on things that make movies really good.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It will star Boba Fett

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Definitely. I heard the Star Wars theme yesterday in a TV commercial for Nissan. With a bumper at the end giving the release date of the coming movie, as if it and Nissan cars have anything to do with each other.

Haristar likes this.
  10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I was born in the 90s, so maybe I'm a little bit biased towards the prequels (they're still crap though).

RK2249 likes this.
  11. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I will do what I have always done. The Original Trilogy is Star Wars. I am waiting until my son turns 7, and then we will watch them, and make it a big deal. I will treat the rest of these as fun, but no more. The Original Trilogy will be an event, special, set apart.

mpayan, FACE OF BOE and 5th-beatle like this.
  12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

The obvious film, that I am surprised has not been announced, is a Vader stand alone movie. Set in the time between Episode III and IV (I guess stopping before Rogue One now). Show him consolidating his power and hunting down Jedi. You can even have cameos with The Emperor (McDiarmid), Obi Wan (McGregor), and Yoda. You could even cameo the Skywalker twins. That movie would make HUGE money.

mpayan, JWew, Old Rusty and 1 other person like this.
  13. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

En masse, I agree with you.

However personally, once the Luke Skywalker character is dead, rather when Mark Hamill stops portraying him, I am done with the Star Wars franchise.

The only movie I would even consider would be a Darth Vader movie, as Darth Vader. Of course it would have to be sans midichlorians, the annoying kid, and that crappy Hayden person.

14. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I've always wanted this. You could have him struggling with the his turn to the Dark Side, knowing that he helped kill his wife. He'd have nightmares, or she would come back as a ghost and visit him.

JWew likes this.
  15. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

If there was a line in Vegas, I would bet every dime I could beg, borrow or steal, and mortgage everything I own and take the over on 30 years. Star Wars is the new Mickey Mouse in town. There will be Star Wars paraphernalia (and propaganda) into the 22nd century (and most likely beyond.)

16. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Excellent idea! A Christmas Carol: A Star Wars Story... :D Hunted by three ghosts of Jedi Past

enro99 and Grunge Master like this.
  17. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

They could've been great...but Lucas seemed more concerned with technology and CGI then acting.

Grand_Ennui, enro99 and Haristar like this.
  18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

"Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."
    Same Galaxy. Presumably (depending on when it's set) with a Jedi/Empire/New Order/Rebel Alliance/Resistance presence of some sort. It doesn't say "entirely" different characters, just "new" ones. So there's a possibility someone we know will make an appearance of some sort, to tie it all together.

Wait, what? You've seen THX-1138 but not American Graffiti? And you're proclaiming which "good" movies he's directed?

Lownote30, Plan9, Encuentro and 2 others like this.
  19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I'd be interested in movies set during the Tales of the Jedi or Knights of the Old Republic eras.

mpayan likes this.
  20. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title... Thread Starter

I too am hoping for a Knights of the Old Republic trilogy...or something along those lines that shows the formation of the Jedi Knights and the Sith ( I know, I know - *nerd alert*).

In any case, the fact that they've already hired Rian Johnson to create a whole new trilogy has to bode well as to the quality of The Last Jedi (which he also wrote btw). Heck, even JJ Abrams is on record as saying he wished he could have directed Last Jedi because the story was so good. Of course, you always take stuff like that with a grain of salt, but if Disney/Lucasfilm are backing up the praise with money for a whole new trilogy...yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about how things will turn out with not just this next film, but whatever this new trilogy ends up being.

Cue Bill Murray's lounge singer - "Star Wars, nothing but Staaaaar Waaaarrrrs..."

21. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

You forgot the "O" at the end. :D

Lownote30, BNell, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You just described the last Star Wars movie I would ever want to see... outside of some Jar-Jar movie, of course.

24. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title... Thread Starter

To quote Michael Douglas in Wall Street - "Greed is good". :angel:

As a fan (and just as a consumer really), if they give me quality, I'll be happy to give them my money. The OT is like the Holy Trinity to me; I felt a bit ripped off by the Prequels; and I've loved the first two movies that Disney has put out...so, we'll see...

SJP likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Exactly! As far as I'm concerned, George Lucas has directed only three films - THX-1138, American Graffiti and "the Star Wars saga." He had the misfortune of having too much success from what was meant to be an affectionate homage to the cheesy serials he loved. People are claiming that he can't direct actors (presumably from the deliberately cheesy aspects of Star Wars) needs to see American Graffiti.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.