Ride - New album Summer 2017, first new song out now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dudley Morris, Feb 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojave77

Mojave77 New Member

I actually prefer Tarantula to the bloated mess that is Carnival of Light.

As for Charm Assault, the song's decent enough but the production's got too much polish.

EasterEverywhere and Neonbeam like this.
  2. Mojave77

Mojave77 New Member

Have any of you compared the OG creation pressing of Nowhere to the 2015 remaster/reissue? Thoughts?

3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

4. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Cool, Just pre-ordered the red vinyl

For those in the UK you can do so here ..... Welcome

AJK74 likes this.
  5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I don't understand why people hate Carnival of Light so much (it's not even on Spotify!). It must be because they went for a more vintage sound. I suppose the second half is a bit shakey and I very much dislike "I Don't Know Where It Comes From," but there are some great songs on it: Birdman, Moonlight Medicine, From Time To Time and Only Now spring to mind. Their Creation cover is great, too. As far as I'm concerned, it's far superior to Tarantula. The only song I like from that album is "Black Nite Crash."

AlienRendel, Rupe33 and AJK74 like this.
  6. Mojave77

Mojave77 New Member

I wish I liked it more. I've never really dug it.

Exit Flagger likes this.
  7. HeydayKilbey

HeydayKilbey Forum Resident

I'm completely with you on Carnival of Light, my friends hated it when it came out but I personally love it. Got a nice jangle for a bit of it and I think the songs are great. Sure it's not a shoegaze noise fest, but I like the change of direction and still think it holds up quite well now.

For anyone interested, here are some more preorder bundles, good choices. I got the red vinyl with cd, and each comes with 4 signed art prints, all for $50 shipped to the US, good deal if you ask me:

Ride Official Online Store : Merch, Music, Downloads & Clothing

Man at C&A and BeardedSteven like this.
  8. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Moonlight Medicine and Birdman alone make Carnival of Light worthwhile for me. Those two tracks are so heavy and badass. I remember an interview with them in Select magazine when the album came out and they were all decked out in 60's gear in the accompanying photos (Andy had a cool Buffalo Springfield t-shirt, too), but overall I don't think it's fair to peg the album as a 60's/70's pastiche. Is it shoegaze? No, but if it had been, they probably would have been throttled for it. They just weren't the hip new thing anymore, unfortunately.

9. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

Am I the only one that's completely underwhelmed by the new LP artwork.... ? I'm not sure I need that on a t-shirt, but I might splurge for the red vinyl with the signed prints. $37 including postage to the US isn't so bad. It's $33 with shipping from their US store.

10. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I like Slowdive and am digging this one:

Neonbeam and AlienRendel like this.
  11. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Finally got around to listening to these tracks. I like "Charm Assault" right up until it hits the chorus which seems a bit too corny to me.

Still looking forward to this album because Nowhere and Going Blank Again and even my old CD of Smile still get regular play at my house.

12. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

Some UK online stores have an "indie exclusive" limited edition clear vinyl up for pre order. So we have black, red and clear vinyl?

13. Dudley Morris

Dudley Morris Resident Thread Starter

Advance review from those junior hipsters over at Stereogum - generally positive with a couple of reservations: "While the few moments where Weather Diaries falters echo the band’s past missteps, most of it is a worthy continuation of the moments where they gave us greatness. And in these moments, it’s easy to hope that Weather Diaries goes beyond giving us a handful of great new Ride songs. Instead, maybe it’s the true beginning of a new chapter, with more new albums to come — and just like the first time around, it’ll be interesting to see what enduring music they still have in them and what surprising left turns they might take."

Premature Evaluation: Ride Weather Diaries

AlienRendel and Rupe33 like this.
  14. Dudley Morris

Those older hipsters at the Quietus weigh in: "Weather Diaries feels like the rightful heir to Going Blank Again". The Quietus | Reviews | Ride

BeardedSteven and Neonbeam like this.
  15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

While the elder statesmen of MOJO have this to say: "At it's best Weather Diaries rejuvenates their burn-it-down guitars and pretty vacancy.... but some of the old problems remain: a thin lyrical wash, an occasional plod."

Three
    stars out of five.

16. Dudley Morris

Yikes! By Mojo standards that's a near-savaging.

Neonbeam likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

I actually too think that "Tarantula" is - while certainly no master stroke - a decent album. That Creation deleted it after.. what.. was it one week, was very unfortunate. But look what they did to "Pygmalion" by Slowdive. Which is more than just decent.

18. Dudley Morris

Yep. I have a clear one on the way myself, ordered direct from Wichita in the US.

19. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Actually, Wichita Recordings sent an update that there'd been a problem with the red vinyl and those orders were being changed over to clear.

20. BeardedSteven

There's also a purple version that's going to be exclusive to the Vinyl Me Please subscriber store. I ordered the red from the Ride UK store and haven't heard anything yet about shipping nor changing it to clear...

21. Exit Flagger

What exactly is a "thin lyrical wash" and how does it differ from a "thick lyrical wash"?

3Dman likes this.
  22. Exit Flagger

I guess they were alluding to this:

[​IMG]

BeardedSteven likes this.
  23. BeardedSteven

Yeah, I have since read that. It kind of makes a little more sense now. Also the raised fist from the inner sleeve or gatefold pic. Not sure it matches the music yet, but at least it has an explanation.

24. Dudley Morris

Presumably it refers to how Ride's lyrics have never been their strong suit and have tended toward a lightweight sort of sky/fly/why thing.
    Oh bloody hell. I might need to get this as well, no matter how I ultimately feel about the album. :)

BeardedSteven likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

You actually plan to get this album twice? Colour me amazed! But then again I have the new JMC on vinyl, CD and - state of the art - cassette.

I guess my biggest problem with the new Ride is Andys role in Oasis as Gallagher yes-man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.