Ridley Scott's Prometheus (2012) - Alien prequel ... (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I thought the Aliens were created from the black gooo infecting the engineers?

2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'd say the main problems were -

1. The Script. It's really bad. Like no one sanity checked it. It's like a script and characters I would expect from a Sharknado/Asylum picture.

2. I reckon Scott just stretched himself too thin at the time and wasn't fully in control. This movie is Scott's equivalent of Spielberg's second Jurassic Park movie I reckon. Messy and unfocused.

wayneklein likes this.
  3. Well it was part of his disinformation campaign because of leaks and rumor.

I agree with Colin that, while there were unanswered questions, they really didn't need to be answered. Some things you never have an answer for and Scott seemed focused most on the questions I was least interested in hearing about. Scott no doubt felt he had roger that way because the sequels largely de-evolved into a series increasingly bad b movies largely lacking style and creativity after the first two. Now film directors DID (and writers) try and bring something original but corporate vision, you know the same corporate vision that turned cheeseburgers into Mcadonald's, did the same thing to a series of films that had some potential after the first two. Corporate people aren't creative and they shouldn't be involved in that decision process at all but--it's their money (or the company's and they safeguard it so there you see)--are making creative dead end decisions (largely--there are the occasion executives who are actually essential to the process).

All creative choices were taken away by creative dead ends pushed by the wrong people.

4. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I watched the movie online and thought it kinda sucked. Then I watched one of those Youtube movie review guys that point out every little problem with the movie and realized it sucked even more.

barnaby and Deesky like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In "Prometheus"? I guess - I can't remember the details of that movie.

I was looking at the notion that there needed to be a backstory for the "space jockey" in the first place - ie, the need for "Prometheus". Don't get me wrong - I'm kinda interested in the events that happened pre-"Alien",

But I don't think it's a "crucial" story, and I don't think that we "need" to know who the space jockey was or what happened.

Like I said: seems like the SJ and his crew landed on the aliens' planet and got all alienized. Scott can add flourishes to that, but I don't think many people clamored for more backstory...

barnaby likes this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Forum Resident

The next Prometheus movies are being made here in Australia. I have a friend who'll be doing the catering for the film crew. I'll see if I can get some sneaky pics from the set.

PH416156, barnaby and Quadboy like this.
  7. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Also, isn't it quite risky to give an actual explanation to the Space Jockey? I guess everybody had his own personal theory about it when watching Alien, that was a big part of the mystey and charm of that movie. "Explaining" the Space Jockey feels a bit unnecessary, and might disappoint people more than anything. Expectations are much too high. Mine are, anyway, and I was quite disappointed by Prometheus, although the movie was pleasant to watch from a very formal point of view. But the story? What story, anyway?

8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Prometheus was yet another "great looking, bad movie" just like Alien3. I'm willing to at least give them the benefit of the doubt with the next one, but it's going to take some really great reviews to coax me to remove dollars from wallet to see it in the theater.

jsayers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.