RIP Chopin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crimpies, Oct 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last week was the 165th anniversary of the death of Frédéric François Chopin (1810-1849), a Polish composer and virtuoso pianist of the Romantic era, who wrote primarily for the solo piano.

RIP Chopin!

2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Play the Funeral March

John Fell and ChadL72 like this.
  3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Frederic Chopin is my dad's absolute favorite composer. Someone he considers one of the greatest geniuses (in any field) to walk the face of the earth. I can't disagree. The "Revolutionary Etude" sends cold shivers down my spine.

Hey Vinyl Man, Ayshpaysh and sami like this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

Some of the great solo piano pieces in any genre ever conceived. Pure brilliance.

5. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Wonderful, wonderful stuff! Amazing left hand work.

Ayshpaysh likes this.
  6. Ayshpaysh

Ayshpaysh Forum Resident

I was just about to say that Billy1, it's seemingly random, but if you listen properly you can see what he's doing. Amazing.

Can anyone suggest some other good compositions so I can delve further?

7. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Ditto. I used to have a great DG tape by Tamas Vasary of Chopin pieces (from 'The Great Composers' magazine series). Miss that but can't find it anymore.

Ayshpaysh likes this.
  8. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Seems like only yesterday he left us... May flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. :cry:

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

165 years and still receiving Birthday wishes! no that's staying power!

Peter Pyle and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

time wait for no one!

11. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

The YouTube 'channel' Chopin played by Vladimir Horowitz contains a treasure trove of great pieces. Just pick one at random! http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67DECFEA680809D2. Chopin was like the Beatles of his day in that nearly everything he wrote was brilliant. And thanks to my dad it's all been indelibly imprinted upon my brain.

Ayshpaysh likes this.
  12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

This summer I was in Poland and had the pleasure of hearing a Chopin recital along with only about 2o other people at the University of Warsaw.

13. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

RIP. Shaking and crying.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Thankfully, his stuff gets reissued a lot.

15. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

16. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I just heard about this. I was expecting it but it's still a shock. RIP Chopin.

Mr. H and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  17. George P

George P Notable Member

May I suggest this performance?

DJ LX, jay.dee and EndOfTheRainbow like this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Lovers of Chopin should check out this very special box set, released by Marston Records in 2010. The focus of this set is on pianists who play in the Romantic style, rather than the more common modern style that is used today. I think they did an incredible job on this set. As always with Marston, superbly mastered sound.

A Century of Romantic Chopin

54001-2 (4 CDs for the price of 3)
    amazon link
    A Century of Romantic Chopin is a four CD-compilation commemorating the Chopin bicentennial year. The set will include some 65 pianists, going back to Francis Planté and Vladimir de Pachmann who were born when Chopin was still alive. Other pianists in the set include Josef Hofmann, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Ferruccio Busoni, Moritz Rosenthal, Ignace Jan Paderewski, Ignaz Friedman, Alfred Cortot, Jan Smeterlin, Rosita Renard, Claudio Arrau, Guiomar Novaes, Benno Moiseiwitsch, Solomon, Arthur Rubinstein, Emil Gilels, Earl Wild, Jorge Bolet, and others. All of Chopin’s etudes will be represented, as well as a selection of preludes, mazurkas, waltzes, nocturnes, ballades, and scherzi, each performance conveying a personal approach to the music. Some of the recordings will already be familiar to pianophiles because of their legendary status, while many others will be delightful surprises, as they are taken from concert performances and out-of-print recordings.

19. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

You won't go wrong with a few of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Etudes...qid=1413952920&sr=8-14&keywords=etudes+chopin

A steal at under $10 ... mid-1960's Stereo recording, nicely remastered in the late 1990's - excellent interpretation... http://www.amazon.com/Rubinstein-Co...1413953395&sr=1-1&keywords=rubinstein+waltzes

This one appears to be out-of-print and very expensive new; see if you can find it in a B+M store (say, Barnes and Noble) or get the amazon mp3 (I know, don't flame me) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004ZD5E/ref=dm_ws_ps_cdp?ie=UTF8&qid=1413953023&s=music&sr=1-3

And here's a 10-CD box for about $18 ... http://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Rubins...=1413953545&sr=1-1&keywords=rubinstein+chopin

Happy listening.

Ayshpaysh and jay.dee like this.
  20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Only ten years until the Dodransbicentennial.

21. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

"Chopin Mazurkas" by Kapell is my favorite Chopin CD by a mile, love it (and one of my favorite classical records), and cheap (6 to 9 bucks on amazon). Wonderful music
    There is a box set that is not expensive..for the money probably a better buy (20 bucks for 11 CDs !)
    [​IMG]

I listen to a lot of Chopin, pull out the Rubinstein box set regularly..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  22. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Brilliant performance...

jay.dee likes this.
  23. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I like Chopin!

24. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

25. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

he died again!!!!! why I am I always the last person to know these things ! now we won't get his Beatles album! shame really!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.