RIP Martin Cockerham (Spirogyra)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ma Kelly, Apr 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member Thread Starter

There must be some fans out there of Spirogyra - the UK 70s folk band, not the US Spyro Gyra. Heard today that Martin Cockerham has died - it was posted on the band's facebook page, though there are no real details at this early date. He might not have had the voice of an angel like Barbara Gaskin did, but he wrote plenty of killer songs. RIP.

thevinylguy, dubious title and Alan2 like this.
  2. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

Very sad news. St. Radigunds is a great LP, I saw Spirogyra at Kingston Polytechnic in 1972 or thereabouts and loved the band. Martin was a very good songwriter indeed.

Condolences to Martin's family and friends.

Horse Majeure, Ma Kelly and Alan2 like this.
  3. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

...must dig up my favourite Spirogyra album Bells, Boots and Shambles and play it.

Alan2 and Ma Kelly like this.
  4. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I'm so sad about this. Alongside the ISB, Spirogyra were the very best of the psych folk genre. St Radigunds is due for another reissue imminently. I knew MC on facebook some time ago.

Ignatius and Ma Kelly like this.
  5. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

He was a wonderful and original writer. Spirogyra's songs stretched the imagination, and their music fills a gap in the ordinariness of life.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Horse Majeure and Ma Kelly like this.
  6. Ma Kelly

For a long time I didn't particularly like St Radigunds until it clicked about a year ago. I'm not sure why I didn't like it (it's not that different from their other stuff), but yeah it's a great album.

Alan2 likes this.
  7. Ma Kelly

His songs are odd - on the face of it, most of them are more straightforward, poppy even, than someone like say the String Band but they're not really pop songs either. They're convoluted in their own special way but full of hooks. Definately have a unique quality to them and they produced some of the most beautiful muscical moments of their time.

8. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

one of the best (if not the best) album coming from the UK 70's folk rock scene

R.I.P.

[​IMG]

dubious title, Alan2 and Rodney Toady like this.
  9. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

RIP. I knew and loved Spyrogira's three lps. Don't think the Stewart-Gaskin site has taken note yet

Alan2 likes this.
  10. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

RIP Martin.
    St Radigunds is my favorite of three albums.

Alan2 likes this.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

12. Sergius Wegmuller

Sergius Wegmuller Forum Resident

Very sad news. Bells, Boots and Shambles is a fantastic album.

Rodney Toady and Alan2 like this.
  13. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I played Old Boot Wine last night and wondered for the nth time @ the strange beauty of the songs. I had this album when I was very young and was deeply affected by it.

Is there any word on what Martin died of?

14. Ma Kelly

Old Boot Wine is my favourite. The ending of Runaway, A Canterbury Tale, Van Allen's Belt...genius stuff.

Not heard anything yet, though did read that he caught a bug on a plane from India last week but I don't really know.

Alan2 likes this.
  15. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Bump.

16. Dok

Dok Senior Member

[​IMG]

From fRoots Magazine FB page -

RIP Martin Cockerham of '70s prog folkists Spirogyra. Sandy Roberton writes "I'm sad to hear of the death of Martin Cockerham of Spirogyra. I signed the band to my production company September Productions back in 1971 and had Robert Kirby produce their debut album. I brought their manager Max Hole into the music business (he ended up running Universal Records for the World outside N. America before retiring). Max produced the bands 2nd and 3rd albums for my company September Productions and Robin Black engineered and mixed. Keith Morris did all the sleeve photos. Martin was a unique talent RIP."

Ma Kelly likes this.
  17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Taken from the PE forum... they had a reunion (sans Barbara Gaskin) just days before his passing.

[​IMG]

"Back standing from left to right: Steve Borrill Spirogyra Bass player and half roadie. Drove us everywhere in his transit van. Helped build and design our PA. Julian Cusack Spirogyra Violin & Piano. Rick Biddulph Roadie and Spirogyra 3 member on Guitar & Bass. Patrick Wright band friend and house mate. Max Hole holding the photo - Spirogyra manager and organiser & financier of this event. Steve Hillage - house mate who also travelled and once played with Spirogyra. Seated left to right: Pete Ball Road Manager & Sound Engineer. Martin Cockerham vocals, songwriter and guitar. Pete Rhodes our artist photographer and house holder."

Steve Hillage's reaction upon hearing of the news : "I'm shocked and saddened to hear that Martin Cockerham of Spirogyra has passed away. He was my friend from my time at Canterbury University, a great musician, songwriter and personality. What is particularly shocking is that I was with him just 11 days ago, at a gathering of friends in Canterbury, where he seemed to be in fine fettle and full of plans for new record releases. Martin - Rest in Peace."

Fullbug and Ma Kelly like this.
  18. Ma Kelly

Yeah that photo is just missing Barbara Gaskin on a bike! Do you recognise what photo martin is holding?

Dok likes this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. Dok

Dok Senior Member

This?

[​IMG]

Ma Kelly likes this.
  21. Goaitsen

Goaitsen Active Member

Martin is holding the photo I took in the Vera club in Groningen in the Netherlands March 7, 1974, with Barbara, Steve and Rick.

Ma Kelly and Dok like this.
  22. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam Forum Lurker

Sad occasion for my very first comment (joined up today). Was so shocked to hear only today of Martin's passing. Glad that many here know of Martin's '70's work w/Spirogyra, but I recommend his somewhat more recent records Rainbow Empire and (as Spirogyra) Revolution Solution & Spirogyra 5. There is also a very worthwhile collection of early Spirogyra demos (of high quality) called Burn the Bridges. He was certainly a one-off...

Dok likes this.
  23. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Might have a chance to purchase a VG+ German/Brain Bells, Boots and Shambles. It's pricey, but well under what is usually sells for. Have to agree with the poster above who claims it's one of the best UK folk records. I have the Repertoire CD, but the LP has been at the top of my list for records I'd like to have for some time. Any thoughts on how some of the early vinyl or the Si-Wan reissue sounds compared to various CD issues?

I didn't know until I did a search today that Martin had passed away. Very sad. Quite surprised that their music isn't better appreciated. Barbara's voice is so ethereal and not hindered by some of the usual Brit folk female vocal mannerisms. Also love Martin's vocals, not quite as madcap as the ISB, but still sounding at times unhinged and full of urgency. Excellent players/arranging and production add greatly to the magic.

24. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I did manage to buy this, there were a few competitors at the record show. The record just sounds fantastic, totally engrossing. Unfortunately looks VG+ and has been run through an ultrasonic clean but still surprisingly noisy.

This is up there with Nick Drake's records. Absolutely one of the finest UK folk/psych folk records. It you don't know it please have a listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.