RIP Monty Python: 1969 - 2014

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sunspot42, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Palin worked with Jones
    Cleese worked with Chapman
    Idle on his own
    Gilliam on his own

2. Carol Cleveland has aged well....:love:

rtalwani and danner like this.
  3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

She really has, hasn't she!

Pete Puma likes this.
  4. Maidenpriest

And she is natural to my eyes and has not had surgery which is a ++++ for me, even with wrinkles etc :)

Pete Puma likes this.
  5. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Great that Carol was invited to be part of the show. Pleased the chaps didn't forget about her.
    A shame Neil Innes wasn't there but previous posts allude to a falling out with Eric...

Rupe33 likes this.
  6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I saw the special last night....I agree with many thoughts here that it was a bit too sing-songy for my taste (I'm not a showtunes kind of guy) and would have preferred a couple extra skits but overall loved it. The second half was stronger than the first by far.

I also think all of the guys still have that magnetic stage presence and quick comedic delivery; it's a shame that Graham is no longer among the living and that we couldn't have gotten the rumored tours they almost did over the last 20 years. They just seem so natural up on stage, even Gilliam and Jones.

7. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

And Now for Something Completely Different.;)

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, it's definitely a shame about Neil "Ray" Innes--especially given how much music they did...

vince likes this.
  9. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I wonder if it was Innes who didn't want to do it or Idle who had no desire to make the call.

10. Maidenpriest

Perhaps because the Rutles are so huge, it may have overshadow it (I like to think so anyway) has anyone ever thought that maybe the 'rift' (if there is one) is between Cleese and Innes because, Neil Innes was at the Harrison concert ? BTW why was John Cleese not at George Harrison memorial concert ??

drivingfrog likes this.
  11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I saw some scenes and I found it funnier than I expected it to be, but my expectations were very low... It made me think of the "Last Goon Show Of Them All" in which the then-aging Milligan, Sellers and Secombe did one more show and the jokes were greeted as old friends. The comedians (once cutting-edge and influential) as old artists with their greatest hits....
    The same as with the Python-reunion, I feel. The jokes are performed with more energy I had expected, but it's more 'pantomime' than anything else. Well, in the next few days I'll dig up these old dvd's with the original series :).

goodiesguy and kwadguy like this.
  12. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

That's absolutely the vibe I got from the Python show. I don't know what else you could do reuniting the group. They brought everyone from "A Fish Called Wanda" back together with the idea to try something completely new, and the result was "Fierce Creatures" - which wasn't a complete disaster but really lacked the same spark. How many people even remember that one?

cloggedmind likes this.
  13. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Just got done watching my unofficial Bluray of the final show and I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would, even with particularly high expectations. Now, to ponder a couple of things..

First, does Cleese suffer from emphysema? His breathing is particularly labored (seems rapid and shallow) and his voice more gravelly and strained than ever. It doesn't really detract from the performance, but it is noticeable to a great extent (Ah, the joys of high definition!).

Eric is still the best singer of the group, though there is something a bit "pork chopsh and apple shaush"-ish about his delivery.

When this show is officially released, will it be as transmitted/performed, or will it be heavily edited like the Hollywood Bowl film? Seems like the HBO showing of Hollywood Bowl from years ago was more complete than the theatrical film. Further, were all the shows recorded, or just the last one? Would be nice to see highlights/flubs/surprises from each night included as extras on the forthcoming video.

Also, it must have been hot in the O₂, as you could see ripples of heat in most of the master shots of the recording.

Finally, I'm not sure if I should get the new lp set or the cd set. I've preordered the cd box, but I'm thinking lp's for the artwork.

..Oh, and I enjoyed the Fierce Creatures and would love to see the original version of the film before it was re-tooled/re-shot!

drivingfrog likes this.
  14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I believe the rift was between Idle [not Cleese] and Innes over 'The Rutles' - and Idle was the one not behaving very well. I heard a few years ago that they had mended their dispute - but seem to recall Innes was the gracious one who basically caved in to Idle. I'd be surprised if things between them are good. I believe Innes is claiming he is still owned back royalties and credit for the 'Spamalot' show and has renewed requests for payment recently.

You might find this article an interesting read. It describes the history of 'The Rutles' and the relationship between Idle and Innes over the years.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010531153921/http://home.earthlink.net/~wyuen/rutlesstory.htm

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    drivingfrog likes this.
  15. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Interesting article, a bit one sided though against Eric. From what I've read and heard said by his fellow Pythons Eric is very driven and motivated by money. The article makes him out to be not just greedy but very petty and ungracious to, particularly around the comments on not doing the Amnesty gigs. Would be interesting to get a view from Eric's side on this one as well. Whatever the reality it's very sad that Eric and Neil have fallen out to this degree.

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Agreed that the article reads like the writer is biased against Idle - although, to me, it supports other accounts I've read of 'The Rutles' mess and about Idle personally.

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Cleese may have heart issues.

18. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

It would have been nice from the Saville Theatre, intimate and close,like the original tele.
    Hey they wanted money and they got bucket loads from O2 and cinema/tv streaming.
    I watched it live on Gold in the UK and will definitly watch a better version
    It still works for me,so do the Goons and Spike.

19. sunspot42

It's the footlights, at the front of the stage. I noticed it during the broadcast. Those things put out a ton of heat, and the cameras were down low and had to shoot right thru the rising heat.

20. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

We all know about Idle's supposed love of money and Cleese's need to round up alimony, but the documentary link posted up thread noted that the Pythons as a group had lost over a million pounds defending a lawsuit regarding "Holy Grail." It was said one night at the O2 would put them back in the black, and they all agreed. At least if Idle is to be believed.

21. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Way too many production numbers and film clips

22. The writer would have more credibility if he didn't slam Idle at almost every opportunity, deserved or not. In particular his remark about Eric not giving actors who ad-lib dialog some writing credit…well this is pretty much the industry standard….the exception is when writing credits are given, so why hold Idle to this standard?

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. sunspot42

In the documentary, Idle comes across pretty good. Better than Cleese (who's always seemed like an ass, god love him) and Palin (who frankly seems kinda out of it and also a bit self-centered himself). Jones seems like a sweetheart, but he also seems kinda out of it. Gilliam and Idle struck me as the only two left with a ton of energy and still fully on-the-ball and - surprisingly I guess regarding Gilliam - fully connected to everyday reality.

The rest seem to be living in kind of a celebrity bubble, frankly. Even though Idle is the only one of the bunch living in the belly of the beast (Hollywood), he seems the most tuned-in to reality. And he seemed to be treating the staffers extremely well...

My $0.02, for whatever it's worth.

zobalob likes this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Definitely left the documentary with the feeling that Jones will be the first to not be able to continue in the business. His wit has slowed considerably.

25. sunspot42

Yeah, unfortunately that's how it felt, too. He was extremely cue-card dependent on stage as well... :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.