Ripping CDs Directly To FLAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Smith, Oct 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

I would be very grateful if someone on here with more knowledge than me on this could recommend a good software program that let's you rip CDs straight to FLAC (preferably free software)? At the moment I'm ripping to WAV on iTunes and then using a program called WAV to FLAC Converter, which does just that. I feel I would be saving time if I could just rip them straight to FLAC without having to rip them as WAV files first.

Thanks

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Are you using iTunes? If so are you aware it doesn't support playback of FLAC files? What operating system are you using Windows or Mac? For Mac a good choice is XLD. dbPoweramp is an excellent product for Windows and has released a beta for Mac. Others on Windows seem to use EAC also.

Abbey Road likes this.
  3. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Dude, save yourself the hassle and open your wallet for a measly amount of money to get DB Poweramp. It's well worth the time saved and extra features, along with accurate rip to put your mind at ease.

Jdam, jimbutsu, boots and 9 others like this.
  4. Andrew Smith

As opposed to free software you mean? What advantages does this software give you?

5. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Time = $$$$$$$,Time = $$$$$$$,Time = $$$$$$$,Time = $$$$$$$,Time = $$$$$$$,Time = $$$$$$$,Time = $$$$$$$,

6. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

CueRipper. Simple, accurate and free.

7. Andrew Smith

I know iTunes doesn't support FLAC, which is why I have to rip to 16bit/44.1kHz WAV using iTunes and then using software titled "WAV to FLAC Converter" to then convert those WAV files to FLAC. I then delete the original WAV file.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Get EAC and FLAC for Windows (or whatever operating system you use). Both are free and there's plenty of information on how to set up EAC to work with FLAC.

Grant likes this.
  9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

This is what I used when I ran windows.

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

JRiver,ripping and whole lot more.$50,better than free.

quicksrt and Coricama like this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wait . . . you're using iTunes as your ripper, but not to manage your library?

iTunes is a crappy ripper. Don't use it for that.

Since it sounds like you're on a PC, I'd recommend Exact Audio Copy (though it's hard to setup) or dBPoweramp (easier although still not simple, but does a bunch of other things, too).

Grant likes this.
  12. Andrew Smith

I've just installed dBPoweramp. When I chose the option to rip in FLAC I have nine options. I have Lossless Level 0 - Lossless Level 8 and Lossless Level Uncompressed. What's the difference between these? Will this affect how the file will sound or how much space it takes up on the hard drive? I've yet to rip the same track in all 10 different lossless levels and then check the sound waves to see if there's any difference between them. What are these lossless levels for?

c-eling likes this.
  13. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

How much space the file takes on the hard drive, that's the difference between FLAC compression levels. I'd just use Level 5 or whatever is the default. They'll all sound the same. No matter which level FLAC compression is used, when you decode to WAV you'll get the same file, bit-identical.

c-eling likes this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'd use the highest compression level. You might as well save as much space as possible. In the old days it took more computing horsepower to compress and decompress at the highest compression level, but that hasn't really been an issue now for almost a decade - even handheld devices can easily uncompress FLAC files.

Grant, tin ears and c-eling like this.
  15. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I've used dbA for years and find it fairly painfree and easily to use effectively which saves me time plus if you do need to convert your Flac files, that batch convertor is so darn useful.

Grant and tin ears like this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

People like options and I think Spoon answered respectfully by having all the levels, the more compressed the more processing it takes to un-compress it, but in this age not sure it's needed, I just use the lossless un-compressed for my SBTouch, it's a straight WAV in FLAC wrapper, just a personal choice, hope you like the trial and decide to purchase it, As said above the batch converter is well worth the cost, I use it for my needledops :)

17. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Yep, EAC is great, downloaded it yesterday.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Oh, wow...a "what software should I use to rip" thread. That's new. Never seen one of these before.

Vidiot likes this.
  19. Graham

Graham Senior Member

EAC / LAME to rip CDs to FLAC, then foobar 2000 to convert FLACs to MP3s in seconds for portable device use.

20. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I would caution that while portable devices can "easily uncompress FLAC files", the higher compression levels typically require more CPU power to decode which translates to shorter battery life. Level 6 is a good trade-off of file size vs. CPU power to decode.

21. Andrew Smith

I'm getting mixed advice. Surly, if they all produce identical files (as far as the audio goes) then using the setting that uses the least disk space (Level 8) should be the best setting to use. I've just ripped a track using DBpoweramp that lasts 4:31. I ripped it at Level 0, 1, 5, 8 & uncompressed.

Level 0: 32.8MB
    Level 1: 31.9MB
    Level 5: 30.1MB
    Level 8: 30.0MB
    Uncompressed: 45.7MB
    Ripped to WAV using iTunes and then using the WAV to FLAC Converter software (with no level setting options): 30.1MB

For a start the first five rips had 100% identical sound waves when I imported them into Wavepad Sound Editor to check, so it seems Level 8 is the best one to use, although there's only .1MB in it. Only the last one that was ripped to WAV 16bit/44.1kHz and then converted to FLAC had a sound wave that was ever so slightly different. I'm guessing this is because it was ripped using iTunes instead of DBpoweramp.

There is no audible difference between the iTunes rip and the DBpoweramp rips. Also, the WAV to FLAC Converter I've been using for my WAV iTunes rips has been creating files (size wise) equivalent to Level 5 on DBpoweramp, so I'm certainly not going to rip all my CDs again using DBpoweramp, although I will rip CDs in the future using this software. Also, I have no compatibility issues with alternative FLAC levels, at least not with my Sony phone/music player.

When I ripped using iTunes I had to put in ALL the metadata myself. iTunes just created a filename and nothing else. DBpoweramp solves this problem.

22. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I did compare level 5 the default with 6 and found no audible to me difference so stayed with that but in terms of space there's so little in it I wouldn't lose sleep over this. Glad your finding the metatagging (you can "review" before ripping btw) handy as the databases are one of the best features of the whole suite.

23. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Level 8 means that the compressor works harder to make the smallest file. It will take longer to compress, and the file will be smaller. The music is unaffected.

Someone mentioned that this may mean that un-compressing a level 8 flac may make the computer work harder, using more battery. I would suspect that the difference in battery usage is very small.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  24. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

:laugh: My guess it's much to hard to do a search while using a phone or portable, much easier to start a hundred new threads on the same topic or question

25. Andrew Smith

As long as the sound waves are identical, that's what I care about the most. It doesn't bother me if it takes longer to compress when copying a CD to my PC.

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.