Rising record prices at your local shop. Is it happening to you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Oct 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

More like 30 million, but you didn't answer my question. If there are buyers who will pay $18, why would a store charge $1?

Edit: for what it's worth, I'm sitting here in a record store with no copies of Thriller on hand. If you need some Moody Blues or Linda Ronstadt, though, we've got you covered.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

And just think, how many hipsters are playing those records on Crosleys or otherwise poorly set-up TTs? Lol. Maybe all those playable copies of Thriller will be rare in no time.

Cronverc likes this.
  3. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

...and in about 15 years those CD's will end being "retro" and "in vogue" to a new generation. :nyah:

24voltsdc and hi_watt like this.
  4. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

Nothing gets my goat more than some hipster noobs coming into my hobby and buying records they want at prices they are ok with. its terrible.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Don't forget it's not just shops asking more, I regularly hear people offering vinyl for sale saying how they've looked things up on the internet, it's funny how they always seem to only see the unsold copies at top prices, just the other day I was in a shop and a seller was asking them to pay twice what they'd actually put some records out at because that's what they'd seen on the internet, then they think the shop is trying to con them, even though if they'd bother to look through the racks they'd see copies of those same records for less than half what they asked for.

I guess all the articles about vinyl's resurgence mean some people think they are sitting on a goldmine, even when they aren't.

Man at C&A, Rodz42 and NaturalD like this.
  6. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

7. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

There is one HPB near me that marks anything by any artist that is vaguely popular at a much higher price. A couple of weeks ago on what will likely be my last stop there, they had two copies of "Rumours" for $25 each - nothing out-of-the-ordinary about the pressing or condition.

hominy likes this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Everytime I hear some kid saying how they've just looted their parents record collections I have nightmares about carefully looked after records that have survived intact for 30 or more years getting ruined in days on a crap deck with a bad stylus.

9. overdrivethree

I was at a flea market a couple years ago. Some dude had a Rubbermaid tote full of old (and pretty worn) classic rock records. Came upon a copy of the first Zeppelin album. Not an original since it had the RIAA sales sticker on the front. Definitely not mint, but figured maybe I could get it home and give it a good cleaning.

I asked the guy and he goes "that's an original..." (which it wasn't) "that's $25. Blue Book value."

I actually kind of argued with him on it. "This is not an original, see the sticker? And it's by no means in mint condition."

He just goes "$25. Blue Book value, I'm know what I'm talking about."

I put the record back and walked away without saying another word. Felt good, man.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Five years ago locally you could easily find a near mint "Rumours" for between £2 and £5, these days they are £10-£15 and probably sell much faster, still cheaper than the resissue though. Lots of those common records that used to be in the Pound/Dollar bins, Tracy Chapman, Paul Simon, Michael Jackson, Dire Straits etc. are exactly what many of the kids are buying and they've wiped out the pool of spares.

NaturalD likes this.
  11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Right on. I asked a owner why he was selling Rumors for 15 bucks and he replied snidely "Because I can" F him and his store.
    I don't like that Band(after PG) and didn't want the record but consider it common so I asked the question.

rockadelic and Cronverc like this.
  12. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Prices aside the thing that blows my mind are the people I see who I watch pull records out of the bins and pay for them with out pulling them out of the jacket and checking the condition.
    Or to make sure its the right record in the jacket even.

EasterEverywhere and chacha like this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Your point is well taken, but I don't know why someone would pay that much for that record. Maybe its a regional thing where there is more demand for MJ's music in your area. I have around 3 copies of that record in my collection. I never paid more than a buck for each of them and they are in excellent condition. I bet that I can find another(if I wanted too) for close to the same money with no problem at all. Certainly not for $18.00.

14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I am almost certain, there are millions of people that have small record collections of popular older rock stuff, in their garage, basement, attic or in storage, that literally have NO IDEA, there is a new record fad going on today.

They are simply packed away in some corner and never get played, never get traded or never see light of day.

There are simply far too few people INTO vinyl today to have bought up all the multi million sellers of a few decades.

JoeF., hominy and hi_watt like this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

DJ decks make me crap my pants !

EasterEverywhere and Frippwire like this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

That's true, even with all the copies sent to landfill or trashed beyond use there should still be millions of copies for some of these titles, obviously many people either haven't made the choice to let them go, can't be bothered to get them out of the loft/garage or maybe just don't realise anyone still wants records.

kevintomb likes this.
  17. overdrivethree

Hahaha. My wife and I have already had it happen with a couple of friends of her mom's..."Betty says you guys are into records! Well I brought over a whole box of mine for you guys to take!"

And it's always been the Lettermen, New Christy Minstrels, Jim Nabors, etc. Nothing to do but politely smile and say "thank you."

18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

You may have felt good, but he probably got his $25 from someone else. As far as I can tell it's not possible to overprice a Zep record these days regardless of condition :sigh:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  19. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

This just happened to me too with my Aunt. Out side of a couple Cosby comedy records it was as you described. I kept the Bill and the rest went out to the curb for pick up.

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Plenty of those sort of collections still about, but think how the demographics are changing, people who bought Hendrix and Zep LPs on release are now pensioners, even the people who bought Punk new are nearing retirement age, MOR and Easy Listening collections plus ubiquitous records like "South Pacific" and "Sound Of Music" are finally on the way out.

21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Agreed, they may be worth the money but that doesn't mean that anyone should feel compelled to pay it. $100 is a lot of money to most people.

22. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It's a lot of dough, but the point is that those albums are worth that. Everyone would like to get a good deal for practically nothing, but that's not always realistic.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

To be fair to the youngsters' the old cats got the milk a half century ago.

24. DonnieT

DonnieT Forum Resident

The Goodwill closest to my house has started to individually price their LP's. Not all of them, just the soul and rock. Last trip I saw Saturday Night Fever sndtrk at $13.93, Bangles Different light $6.06 (pretty beat up, woc) and Eagles Desperado $5.95 (cover split out). All the other LP's (Mitch Miller, Perry Como etc.) are still 77 cents. I guess they should start keeping Goldmine price guides at Goodwill for the staff to reference. Who is buying this stuff?

25. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I don't know about the others here, but going to Goodwill or flea markets is not always a good alternative where I live. The records are trashed, and not worth owning, at least not for the serious collector who prides himself on decent condition. I'm lucky though in that I have a used record store that always sells their quality vinyl at a sensible price, as opposed to their competition.

LordThanos1969 and John Grimes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.