Rob Thomas - DVD-A DualDisc....who is Rob Thomas?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

I was in BB today, and on their table of new releases was a DualDisc by Rob Thomas. I was surprised as it was a DVD-A DualDisc, something of a rare breed lately. It is on Atlantic, which would indicate why. However, I do not know who this is? Anyone know what kind of music it is?

Thanks - (I may be showing my age)

2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Rob Thomas was lead singer of Matchbox 20.

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

Thanks Ed. I "have" heard of Matchbox 20! :shh:

I wonder if this solo album is of the same type of music? Anyone have it?

4. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Rob Thomas also sang lead on Santanas hit "Smooth".
    I've heard Matchbox 20 described as alternative but I always thought they were just a pop band.(Not really a fan) I really don't know much about his new album though.

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

He performed on Jay Leno last night.

6. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Matchbox 20 has not broken up, nor has Thomas left the band. He is still the band's singer. He also had Carlos Santana make a guest appearance on his single "Smooth." :rolleyes:

7. Jay

Jay New Member

Justin Timberlake 2002 = Rob Thomas 2005, musically and for the look. A total clone. This is not a bad thing, incidentally. I liked the album JT, and I like this new song by Rob. Justin looked better in a baldy, though.

8. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

he's a good looking guy (read: marketable) and based on the success of 'Smooth', it looks like they're making a big push for the guy...did you see that set he had for the Tonight Show? sheesh. elaborate, flashing lights.. looked pretty expensive, especially when compared to most acts that appear on the show.

9. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

He also has a song that receives some airplay around the holidays called "A New York Christmas." Not bad, actually. I've got the CD single around here somewhere; it was issued commercially in 2003 (and appeared on a compilation sold by the Kohl's department store chain that same year) after first being issued to radio in 2002.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

He's actually on Jay Leno again tonight...

11. stypee

stypee New Member

I don't know. How do you go from a "pseudo-rock" band, to singing with Santana to a metamorphosis of Justin Timberlake? That's just wrong.

At least after I saw Jewel's video for "intuition" she was being blatantly honest about what she was doing (not to say she can write poetry) with her quick buck into disposable bubble gum music.

12. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

MAD TV's parody of the video, featuring Mo Collins as Jewel was dead on, over-the-top and nailed it. I read that Jewel is going "back to basics" with her next album. No joke.

13. Jay

Jay New Member

I just read an interview with Rob Thomas in INTERVIEW magazine (Bernie Taupin, interviewer), and the name of his label is Melisma (that sound the American Idol singers make).

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I missed him on Jay Leno last night because I was watching Al Green tearing the roof off of the Ed Sullivan theater on a Letterman re-run at the same time. :)

I generally like his voice, though, so I will try to check him out if he is indeed on Leno again tonight.

Regards,

15. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

a whole new stage set for his second Leno appearance. Not quite as elaborate as the first night, but still.. another new set? I've never heard of anyone getting two nights in a row like that.. makes you wonder what the deal is.

16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I certainly don't get the earlier Justin Timberlake comparison, other than they both have "women" appeal? If it's true that if one is youthful looking and sings songs with a dance beat, that doesn't mean that are clones! I really don't see any wardrobe malfunctions in Rob's near future!

I bought the DualDisc for $9.99 and while it certainly is far from great, it is a decent listening experience for anyone who has enjoyed the voice of Matchbox 20 and/or Santana's "Smooth".

Chris C

17. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Wasn't the song on Santanas album? How could Carlos make a guest appearance on his own album? :rolleyes:

18. stypee

stypee New Member

Carlos has appeared on many albums, most of which he wasn't aware of since his presence wasn't physically there.

19. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

My point was that the song was on a Santana album.ACK had posted above that Santana guested on "Rob Thomas' hit Smooth". :confused:

20. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

My comment about Santana was tongue-in-cheek. :D

Although Carlos' latest albums bear the Santana imprint, it seems like he's relegated to being a guest star on them. The hit singles are written and sung by outside artists, like Rob Thomas and Michelle Branch.

While it has indeed restored Carlos to multi-platinum status, they don't strike me as being Santana "group" recordings...even if the members of the band do play on the songs. :(

21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Yeah,I have to agree with you there.looking at the songwriting credits the song Smooth was indeed written by Rob Thomas.My mistake.Sorry if I came off a little testy about this.

22. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

You didn't come off "testy" at all. I took your remarks at face value. No problemo, ed. :righton:

23. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

That's cool, when I looked back at my post I thought it sounded a little sarcastic.Not my intent,I'm glad You didn't take it that way. :)

24. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I've learned from experience not to necessarily expect the worst of people. It's hard to know how exactly a person is feeling by the written word. I've been misinterpreted myself, so I know how that goes. Unless someone is blatantly sarcastic, I don't go looking for it.

And even if someone is, I usually ignore it.

:edthumbs:

25. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

Target has been selling the dual disc for $9.98 this week.

I think the sale ends tommorow.

My wife likes Matchbox 20 so I bought her the disc.

It played in both of our cars - but I've been having problems
    making a CD-R copy of the CD side.

I don't think its wise to play the double sided disc in a car
    and my wife is really hard on discs in her car (never puts them
    back in the case - scratches them - etc) plus shes just
    as happy with a CD-R anyway

I played the DVD side on my DVD-A player.

Yes, the multichannel mix is 96/24.

But to my surprise the hi-res stereo mix is only 48/(24 or 16?)

I wasn't overly impressed with the 5.1 mix but then that's typical for
    most things not done by Elliot Schiener. Seemed mostly like
    a 3.0 (front right, center, front left) mix with an occasional
    effect in the rear...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.