Robert Osborne has died, TCM announced.He was 84.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

A few years before TCM became available in Canada..a friend use to record a lot of TCM content off his satellite feed...i recall buying a Betamax machine so i could borrow some of his recordings...that was my first introduction to Robert Osborne..i always enjoyed his film intros and insight. When TCM became available in Canada i was thrilled..not only a great selection of classic movies ...but more of Robert Osborne...including his interviews with some of Hollywood's great stars!
    He will be missed, remembered and never forgotten.
    Thank you Mr.Osborne!

Vidiot, Karnak and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

He was a class act and a great speaker of Cinema. RIP.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Gotta agree here.

Side comments -- TCM is one of the only cable stations that assumes its audience isn't a bunch of dumb-asses. Cable should be a wide open field for channels that show so much respect for the art they broadcast and the the audience that watches it. It's sad that TCM's mission and presentation is an outlier and not the norm.

I will miss this dude -- he really knew how to set context and clarify important aspects when setting up the films (to then be shown in their original and uninterrupted form).

Wes H, beat_truck, Chris R and 9 others like this.
  5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Ben Mankiewicz
    3 hrs ·

ted321, chacha, Silver Surfer and 3 others like this.
  6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, BOB. Excitement over beginning my new "Noir Alley" show on TCM turned to sorrow this morning with news that Robert Osborne has died. He'd been in failing health for quite a while, but we all held out hope he'd recover and reclaim his rightful place on the TCM throne. I called Bob the "Walter Cronkite of American Cinema," since he so brilliantly had earned the trust of the movie-loving public. He is, frankly, irreplaceable.

I first worked with Bob when he invited me to share hosting duties at his own film festival in Athens, Georgia. I was primarily there to introduce "Double Indemnity," but he surprised me by asking me to co-host a screening of "All About Eve"—his favorite movie! I knew a fraction of what Bob knew about the film, but he masterfully propped me up and made me look better than I deserved. I learned more about "hosting" from Bob in ten minutes onstage than I had in the previous years combined.

We had a great time a few years ago taping a segment for TCM called "A Night in Noir City," and once again I learned a LOT being able to watch him at work in the studio. Since then, it was always a pleasure to share time with him at TCM events, where he proved himself to be even more gracious and generous than anyone who only saw him on TV could really know.

A colleague at TCM called me this morning to share the news—he'd expected the call to be about the tremendous response to "Noir Alley." Instead, we commiserated about the network losing its iconic host, and I choked up when he said, "You know Bob adored you, right?" Well, it was mutual.

Robert Osborne was a wonderful man, and a brilliant light in all our movie-loving lives.

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Robert Osborne had his heart, mind and soul in his career/job, which basically made it a great hobby for him. A dream job that many would like to have. Unfortunately I don't get TCM as part of my subscription. But when I did get it in the past I viewed it quite often. It's the only channel I miss that I don't have. RIP.

krock2009 likes this.
  8. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

I would tape movies I already had in my collection just to see what he had to say about them. Ben is good, too, but this is a sad day for classic movie fans.
    I hope he's up there right now watching "Hats Off" with "London After Midnight" as the feature presentation.

Simon A and shokhead like this.
  9. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I always found myself wishing he had more time to share tidbits about the films...RIP good sir, and thank you.

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

They are showing a special short film on Robert right now, which Ben came on with his condolences before they showed it!

RIP Robert, to me, you were as important as the films that you introduced.

11. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

RIP :(
    For years, for many movies I DVRed from TCM, I've split and deleted the movies but kept Robert's intros and outros. The movies will be back. I may have a few TMC recordings on VHS somewhere.
    :(

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

So sad to hear this. He was a class act and provided so much fascinating information on the films shown on TCM. :cry:

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Damn. Glad I recorded so many movies with him doing the introduction.

Thanks Robert!

ZippyPippy likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I enjoyed his spots on HBO years back...R>I>P.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Classic guy. RIP.

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

17. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

He was outstanding and he so excelled at what he did that he made it look effortless. We will not see another Robert Osborne anytime soon. His enthusiasm and love was made visible in his work. He will be sorely missed.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  18. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

RIP. Encyclopedic knowledge, affability, a true ambassador befitting the best of what Hollywood offered. And you could get a sense of the man from the sincere appreciation that often showed through when others discussed him.

19. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Ha I do this too. I was surprised they didn't just rerun previous intros for the same films

20. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

He was absolutely irreplaceable. I was just thinking the other day that his prolonged absence couldn't be good news, but was hoping he'd bounce back. The past year has seen several big names in the classic film community pass on, and with them went a vast store of knowledge cultivated over several lifetimes of film appreciation.

Hail and farewell, Mr. Osborne. Your work shall not be forgotten.

ralphb likes this.
  21. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Wonderful gentleman. I always looked forward to his commentaries on all those movies. RIP.

22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

23. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

RIP. Just a fantastic host.

24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

will be missed.

25. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

One of the most knowledgeable people in Hollywood. We'll miss ya.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.