Robert Palmer - The Very Best of the Island Years

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joliom, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joliom

joliom Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe someone can help me out with this. I have what I thought was the original single version of "Addicted to Love" on the 2005 compilation The Very Best of the Island Years. The running time is the same as the original 7" single, but I noticed that Pat Downey lists it as an alternate version (not the original single, LP, or 12" versions) and Amazon lists it as an edit. Can anyone tell me for sure what version it is?

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I don't think the single 45 rpm release has ever been put out on CD. There was an edit made of the album version in 1989 and put on his first greatest hits release "Addictions Volume 1", and all subsequent releases erroneously use this edit and pass it off as the single version.

EDIT: more information here: http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1886&KW=robert+palmer

3. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

There seem to be so many edits of this song floating around. Judging from the various recording times listed on Amazon, I'd guess this is a slightly early fadeout of the 4:04 version featured on Palmer's Millennium Collection disc. I doubt you're missing much here, as long as the fade isn't too quick. The Best of the Island Years does appear to be pretty packed at 23 songs and seconds shy of 80 minutes. According to the track listing, it contains many single edits and mixes, all from each song's period of original release.

My personal favorite of "Addicted to Love" is the 4:25 edit from "Addictions" Volume 1. The Riptide LP version, at 6:03, goes on a bit too long for my taste.

4. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

I have The Best Of The Island years. On my version, Addicted To Love runs 3:55. I picked this comp over the others because my research indicated remixes on some of the other comps.

Also, this one has Sailin' Shoes/Hey Julia/Sneakin' Sally all tied together as they were on the original album.

5. 905

905 Senior Member

This is also the comp I chose, after doing a search on the forum.

6. joliom

Thanks, MekkaGodzilla. That link proved very insightful. I'm curious, though, how long does the intro run on the LP version?

7. stopbrickwalling

stopbrickwalling Forum Resident

8. joliom

After listening to all the versions, I have to say that I agree. The Addictions Vol. 1 edit has the same :17 extended intro as the LP version, but cuts out the :43 breakdown from the middle of the song, tightening things up so it doesn't feel overly long. It's the perfect edit for my money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.