Robert Plant discovers unreleased Led Zeppelin tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rupe33, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member Thread Starter

theMess, aoxomoxoa, dobyblue and 15 others like this.
  2. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Well alright!

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Pretty cool that Plant's actually shilling this stuff:righton: Him and Jimmy sitting around 'baking tapes'...conjures up quite an image...

If memory serves the tracks Robert referred to do circulate among collectors...third album sessions? "Lost In Space" I believe is the name of the supposed Jones song, and early versions of "No Quarter" could also be on these tapes:winkgrin:

rxcory and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Okay, this kind of article gets me all excited. And, yes, it's great to hear Robert's enthusiasm and humor on behalf of the project.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Was wondering if this was an Onion article.

Galeans, quicksrt and dkmonroe like this.
  7. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

Great to hear about the 'new' tracks, but please, please, please don't go on tour....leave it alone!! The time has long passed

unclesalty, herenow and Gene Parmesan like this.
  8. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

I hope they are decent mixdowns from stuff that was discarded mainly due to album (LP) time restrictions and not just demos.

drivingfrog likes this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Perhaps him and Jimmy sitting around baked, listening to tapes? :)

Actually they're supposedly both tee-totallers now for years.

10. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

Robert probably found a copy of the 18cd box of studio sessions by godfather...lol

Jimi Justin, HotHere and Rhett like this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

It's interesting at least one media report I read twisted Plant's comments about Jonesy offering Plant two cars and a swimming pool not to include his vocals on the deluxe editions to something about Plant having to battle Page to get them on the album. I guess the media needs more drama.

12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Robert, please dont let Jimmy anywhere near the remastering console

rxcory, Dave, Slick Willie and 9 others like this.
  13. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Wow, this is encouraging news! If only Pete Townshend cared as much about The Who's vaults and legacy as the guys in LZ do. I'm a massive fan of both bands but LZ blows The Who away when it comes to curating their legacy.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ain't that the truth.

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is great news, not only for the revelation of new Zep material, but the fact that a former Zep member acknowledges the box sets!!!!!!!!!!

However, before you get too excited, go listen to a 1977 version of "Battle of Evermore" to get a taste of JPJ on vocals :)

kozy814, liboriofriki and DrBeatle like this.
  16. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The remastering of the studio catalog has been done and available for nearly a year now on iTunes. Most people here like it just fine.

crispi, DiabloG, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Or the Scream for Help soundtrack or his second solo album. Not a terrible singer but not a strong one either.

snkcube and DrBeatle like this.
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

While this is good news I am not holding my breath for any of the releases to happen in 2013. It sounds like some of the found recordings could be for some of the early albums.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Oh yeah....forgot about that....yikes. Love the tracks on that album with Page though.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Bring it on!

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Where can I click the pre pre-order button!:drool:

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Am I right to feel that this is somehow too "serendipitous" to be true? Not that the tapes exist, but that Robert just now "discovered" them?

It's not like I'm seeing some big conspiracy, it just seems like a very convenient story to use to promote the next round of reissues, which is always several months away.

Jose Jones, rd1, Bill and 1 other person like this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Really? At least the proposed Who projects actually come to pass in a timely fashion, flawed though they may be. We've generally gotten more outtakes and live performances over the years from the Who. How has LZ blown away the Who?

markbrow likes this.
  24. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

The Who recycle the same sources over and over; how many times have we gotten tracks from Swansea '76, Leeds '70, and different remixes/edits of the same outtakes? And the "new" stuff they do release ends up being the same stuff we've had on bootleg for AGES, while they'll release a snippet from something that's never surfaced on boot that we all know they have, and that's the end of it. Sure, the *volume* of stuff we've gotten is more than LZ, but I'd rather have new and different stuff than the same stuff regurgitated over and over. Don't get me wrong, I'm a MASSIVE fan of both bands, but I don't think The Who have gone about it the right way, at all. Just my personal opinion.

J_D__, WhoTapes1 and athensdrums like this.
  25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I would guess that they asked for basically all Zeppelin tapes to be sent to them and whilst wading through all that stuff, found some out-takes. It sounds logical that this would be the time that stuff would be found, don't you think?

fifth beatle99 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.