Robert Plant new album "Carry Fire" on Nonesuch/Warner (10/13/2017)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elliottmarx, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Is there a particular track where this is most obvious?

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

+1 on the Record Industry no fill

3. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Robert Plant sounds just fine.

driverdrummer and Baba Oh Really like this.
  4. Which album side and track is affected in your copy?

5. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I'm starting to think maybe I'm just trippin'. I should note that I was listening to the autorip on a CDR while I wait for the CD. Anyway, I guess nothing to see here, carry on.

6. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I bought the CD on Saturday, but I haven't given it a spin yet. I have the FLAC files on my phone right now and I plan on playing the entire album durimg my bus ride home today. Will report back. As a big Plant fan, particularly of his 80's/early 90's material and the last album, I'm eager to hear what he's done this time.

7. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I recommend headphones with Forever Changes and Are You Experienced

RockRoom likes this.
  8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I was talking generally that Record Industry seems to have issues at the moment with no fill. My copy of Fleet Foxes, Crack Up was really bad!

9. DiabloG

Just finished listening to the album, and I have to say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed. To me, many of the songs feel like rejects from Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar. There could've been 1 or 2 more upbeat tracks as well. Also, the weaker songs tend to blur together thanks to their similar styles and tempos. Everything is just a little too samey if that makes sense.

With that said, there are some songs that caught my attention (in a good way). The May Queen is a good opener and wouldn't have been too out of place on Led Zeppelin III. Season's Song has nice vocal melodies. Perhaps my favorite track here is Keep It Hid. Besides the interesting title, I love the general tune and the droning synthbass(?). It's easily one of Plant's better latter-day songs. Bluebirds Over the Mountain is another great track. Those distortion-driven keyboard flourishes in beginning remind me of the one of the presets featured on a synthesizer app that I have on my phone, of all things. I also like how Robert and Chrissie Hynde's voices sound when combined. Then there's this moment around the 4 minute mark where Robert does a small, yet powerful scream. TTBOMK, he hasn't screamed like that since Fate of Nations or possibly even Manic Nirvana. That was a neat little surprise.

Overall, I'd give Carry Fire a 6/10. Not bad, but it could've used some improvements here and there. Then again, I prefer Plant's earlier solo material over the folk/world stuff he's done since Dreamland (though I surprisingly do like the previous album quite a bit).

sunking101, Elliottmarx and johnny q like this.
  10. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I just listened to the town hall Percy interview event on Sirius. Moderator David Fricke calls the new album "spectacular, and I don't use that term lightly." He also said that the album "will change your life."

driverdrummer likes this.
  11. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I don't know if it's going to change my life just yet but I have no reservations about calling it spectacular.

Loving the groove....

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Had to respond again on this...5 full listens and oh my does this grow on you big time! This IMO is easily as good as any thing he has released after LZ. The only songs I can do without are tracks 4 and 6.

It has been a long time that music like this just keeps pulling me in and getting better with each listen, and oh the killer instrumentation and the way it is layered through out!

The sound of this on vinyl is outstanding! It cuts in and gets even better with a few spins. Easily one of the best sounding new vinyl releases (that is not MoFi or Analog Productions releases...example) that I have heard this year. Highly recommended if a vinyl lover in this format!

13. agn

agn Forum Resident

Sirius Satellite Radio had a very informative hour long interview with Robert yesterday about his new album, Zeppelin and 5 a side soccer/football. I am sure there will be repeats. He didn't sound like he had false teeth BTW... ;) Catch it if you can.

Baba Oh Really, jon9091 and scotti like this.
  14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

15. DiabloG

A bit off-topic, but he looks kinda like Lon Chaney Jr. in that thumbnail.

googlymoogly and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  16. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

In all his recent interviews it seems like his speaking voice is getting higher.

17. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolfman, Lenny, or Count Alucard? :p

I don't see a resemblance myself.

He just looks like Robert Plant to me.

18. DiabloG

Actually, I thought Robert looked a bit like Chaney as the mute henchman in Dracula vs Frankenstein. That movie came out in 1971, so I probably should've said he looks like old Lon Chaney Jr. :p

Glenn Christense likes this.
  19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I love this album.

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Another strong effort from Robert Plant. I continue to argue that he has one of the most underrated solo catalogues by an artist associated with a major band. His body of solo work has been incredibly consistent for 35 years, with few bumps in the road. I don't think any of his contemporaries are coming close to what he is doing these days, and this includes Springsteen.

Larapinta, DiabloG, ytserush and 7 others like this.
  21. But didn't he work for the magazine that made Songs Of Innocence its album of the year(maybe if you only bought 1 album in 2014) and gave Working On A Dream 5 stars(only 4 stars out).Sounds like hyperbole from here.

22. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

This one is definitely a grower. First couple times I played it on the office system and it was beginning to sink in. This morning I played it on the big rig in the living room and ye gods, it really hit home. Another winner, a meditation on life, love, the state of the world, and growing old.

A nice interview on NPR's World Cafe: Robert Plant On World Cafe

ytserush likes this.
  23. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

I bought the album a few days ago, gave it a few listens and I must say I really like it. The title track is fantastic!

ytserush likes this.
  24. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Hi guys,

I have listened to this new album on and off for the last week (not yet this week), but I really like what I am listening to. It is a strange combination of mellow/atmospheric/electronic atmosphere (thanks to the piano) with hints of very decent guitar playing, associated with the charismatic voice of Robert Plant. Surprisingly very good. I feel this is somewhat the continuity of "Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar" tuned with a slower pace.

So far the tracks that stand out as far as I am concerned:

The suite "Dance with you tonight / Carving Up the World Again... a wall and not a fence (some nice guitar work on that bit) / A Way With Words / Carry Fire (superb title track)"

Bluebirds Over the Mountain (it took me a few listens to get used to it, then I watched the official video, and love the video, I thought it was very well put together)

Heavent Sent which concludes the album quite well. One word: Haunting!!!

I thought Plant's voice aged very well. I am not sure how much work it has been done during the production process, but it sounds as if he has remained a nice singer.

I would give this album a 4/5. Very good. A pleasure to listen to it over and over again. Two things thing I do not like

(i) The production is that "fade out" effect between songs. I think links could have been better worked out between songs. But that's just me nitpicking.

(ii) The Sensational Space Shifters should have been credited on the album cover.

Since I have listened to this album, I went back to listen to Led Zeppelin, and bought Houses to the Holy (deluxe version) and The live "The Song Remains the Same". I will revisit their full discography over the next few weeks.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  25. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I have had the vinyl for a couple of weeks and have listened to it 4 or 5 times which is rare for me with a new record.

My copy is flat quiet and well mastered (looks like CB in the deadwax)

I truly think this is up there with the best work Mr Plant has done since Zep. In fact I will go once step further it is his best solo LP to date.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.