Robert Plant new album "Carry Fire" on Nonesuch/Warner (10/13/2017)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Elliottmarx, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Hey guys,

Not sure if this video has been posted, but I love this live version.

Carry Fire

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Thanks for this! I haven't played or bought the new album, but I really enjoyed that. I saw Plant live last year and enjoyed his band, the new stuff was fine. This was better than anything new I heard at that show. Very cool song,

Pipi3 likes this.
  3. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

New album is fantastic. A twin to Lullaby, which is not a bad thing at all.

paradox55 and Pipi3 like this.
  4. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I guess I'm truly in the minority in that I'm not digging the album as much as everyone else. Even though I prefer 80s and 90s Plant by a large margin, Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar is one of my favorites and has quite a few standout songs. Despite also having some good stuff, Carry Fire just hasn't made a huge impact on me. My rating still stands, but hopefully the album will click with me one day.

Vinyl_Blues and c-eling like this.
  5. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I like it a lot too. I don't own Plant's entire discography but I was a little surprised at how mellow it is. I used to really enjoy albums like "Now and Zen" but after listening to it recently, I realized it has not held up well at all. "Carry Fire" is a very different record but it has grown on me tremendously.

Vinyl_Blues, Pipi3 and Jellis77 like this.
  7. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I'm a bit annoyed these variants couldn't be announced prior to release though. I enjoy collecting coloured vinyl but I don't feel like double-dipping on an album that's only a month old.

JasonA likes this.
  8. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Take away the topical songs, and I'm wondering how much of this album is a love letter to his lost love Patty Griffin. That's the vibe I'm picking up. They were spotted by a Hoffmanite at Waterloo in Austin just a couple weeks ago so maybe they're still romancing even though RP left Texas for the UK.

9. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

What’s the view on CD v Vinyl release?
    Cheers
    Gary

10. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

CD sounds great, couldn't play the vinyl if I had it:)

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Another listen of Carry On and enjoyed it immensely. It takes a few listens to appreciate the smooth spontaneity this album offers.
    A humble listening experience Plant doesn't try to act like a 20 year old rocker. He is very aware of himself at this point of his life. Greatful Plant is still releasing new albums.

DJ LX, Larapinta, ralphb and 2 others like this.
  12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Finally got around to hearing this and it's wonderful. The man has been on a creative roll for quite a while now and he's doing it by embracing his vast music/life experiences, staying creative sound-wise and not, as you said, trying to be a kid anymore. Is it any wonder he doesn't care about a Zep reunion?

13. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

14. ThomasL

ThomasL Forum Resident

Three-sided vinyl. Sounds really good. Pressing is fine (EU) - plain black vinyl (not 180 gram) - like in the good old days ;-)

15. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I love Carry Fire.
    So much so that I went to a CD store and bought Now and Zen, Fate of Nations and Manic Nirvana.
    It had been such a long time since I had heard those albums.
    They don't hold up at all...the production is terrible. Fate of Nations was surpringly the one I didn't mind of the three.

superstar19 likes this.
  16. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Cheers Thomasl, o have ordered cd and will go from there.
    Cheers
    Gary

17. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Guess you had to be there. They definitely sound of their time, but I still enjoy them. You may want to stay away from Shaken 'n Stirred too! I've consistently enjoyed Robert's solo output since the beginning. Others in that time frame not so much. Bruce, Neil, Dylan? Not as much.

DiabloG likes this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The comp 66 To Timbuktu does a nice job collecting his solo highlights through the various twists and turns and fashions...

One notable omission of "In The Mood".

19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Manic Nirvana is the only Plant album I ever play. The production works for me on the original vinyl.

Blastproof likes this.
  20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just picked up the gold pressing from Barnes and Noble, cleaned it and played side one. Is there a weird distortion that goes left to right on some parts of the first song? It was driving me crazy thinking there was something wrong with my gear. The rest of the album sounds fine by the way. Thanks in advance

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

22. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

JasonA likes this.
  23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Hi. I don't have the gold but I have the standard vinyl pressing. No way there should be that anomaly during "The May Queen." Don't settle for that. From a fidelity standpoint, this is the best Robert has put out on a while. I would suggest exchanging it....the vinyl is worth having for this release....easy to immerse into, especially via headphones.

JQ

24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Thanks man. I actually haven't listened to it again. Been on a giant Yes kick lately. I'll have to return it to Barnes and Noble then

25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Crazy....so have I!!!!!!!!! There is a thread here that inspired me to listen to the entire Progeny set this weekend.

SirMarc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.