Robin Hood DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Anybody here get the Warner Bros. Robin Hood dvd yet??? How's the remaster look? Just as important, how do the 2 cartoons look? Do they have original title cards/full credits? Again, how's the transfer look????

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I just brought it home and plan on watching it tonight. All words I've heard are good, but I'll let you know.

John K.

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Well, the transfer of the film is, indeed, fantastic. I watch on a 34" Wega, so I can't comment really meaningfully on edge enhancement, but the colors are amazing, with none of the odd shifting as seen on such early Technicolor transfers as the first "Singin' in the Rain." It was especially instructive to have watched part of the movie the night before last on TCM via satellite. The print they have is horribly washed out, and the opening credits swam so much it seemed like they were filmed through water. The DVD feels at times like you're right there in the California forest with them. It rewards reviewing just to catch all the details now visible on things like costumes and set dressing. Oh, and the film IS a lot of fun.

I watched about two seconds of "Katnip Kollege" since I can't stand those early Merrie Melodies, but did watch the entire of the other two 'toons. "Kollege" seemed faded, the other two clean, but perhaps a bit too saturated in color. There was noticeable bleeding on the deeper and more saturated hues. Still, much better detail and crispness than any VHS copy I have. I don't know how much restoration was done on these, but it gives me hope for the boxed sets coming up.

All in all a must-have in my book.

John K.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The film - outstanding
    Katnip College - Faded colors
    Rabbit Hood - Appears to be same transfer from 90s laserdisc -- even seems to have color aliasing consistent with being from a composite master
    Robin Hood Daffy - Looks much better than the other two.

Regards,

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The restoration of the Looney Tunes library is far from complete, and it's entirely possible that those shorts haven't been worked on yet. I'll bet you see them in much better quality if and when they're released as part of a proper LT collection on DVD.

6. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

The movie looked great, but I havent had time to watch the whole thing yet. Colours are great! I agree with the above on the toons. Hoping for better on the WB toon set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.