Rock Candy Records re-issues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Natvecal., Jan 1, 2018.

1. DentonChris

DentonChris Well-Known Member

I might have missed it somewhere along the line, but how does the RC version of Autograph - That’s the Stuff stack up? I have the original Sign in Please, and it’s thin and quiet, but it’s okay. I think someone mentioned the RC version is overly loud/compressed. I’ve never owned TTS and I’m interested in getting that, but I’m curious about the sound. Any thoughts on that one?

Queezma likes this.
  2. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I have all three Autograph on RC. I am pleased with all three....especially That’s The Stuff and Loud & Clear. Sign In Please is more dynamic and has some nice bottom end...compared to original RCA pressing.

Rocketdog and DentonChris like this.
  3. DentonChris

That's good to know. I might have to get all three as well. I've never owned L&C, but I've always heard it's a pretty solid album.

4. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

This label drives me nuts , They have some of the coolest cds ever but remastering is horrible on a lot of them . There cds are only good for your car audio .

sound chaser likes this.
  5. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I've got it and it's awesome.

DentonChris and carlwm like this.
  6. DentonChris

Cool. I’m going to have to get it.

7. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

You won't regret it.

8. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

Rock Candy just released remastered versions of Mean Streak, Black Tiger and Earthshaker from Y&T.

Mean Streak and Black Tiger both have one bonus track; all three are remastered by Jon Astley.

Would be interested to see how these sound. At least from the shops I go to, the originals are not easily found.

lenny nero, carlwm and Greenalishi like this.
  9. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Three killer records. Check the Y&T website though. Earthshaker was reissued not that long ago. I the cd, sounds great. Thanks for the tip on the reissues. Rock on.....

carlwm likes this.
  10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Queezma likes this.
  11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am now listening to the Rock Candy Armored Saint "March of the Saint" CD, mastered by our friend Jon Astley.

I was worried that this would be a total disaster like his Judas Priest remasters, but I am pleasantly surprised.

This is a very loud CD, but I am able to crank it without ear fatigue. Similar to the Judas Priest "Firepower" CD, if you have that in your collection.

Doggiedogma, Queezma and carlwm like this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Underrated band, Armored Saint.

Queezma and The Hud like this.
  13. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

VERY LOUD. I can’t get through the whole CD (Armored Saint). I know Astley takes a lot of crap, and I don’t have a problem with most of his remasters....but this is one of the few I wasn’t happy with. But man I love those liner notes :edthumbs:

The Hud and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. The Hud

It is very loud, and I am probably in the minority in liking it, but that is fine with me. If I come across another version that isn't insanely priced, I will pick it up, but I will keep the Rock Candy for the bonus tracks and liner notes.

Andy Pearce remastered the Rock Candy "Delirious Nomad". Too bad he couldn't have done "March of the Saint" as well.

patient_ot and Queezma like this.
  15. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Oh! I had no idea Pearce did the remastering for Delirious....I just assumed it was Astley. I am still trying to track down an original Chrysalis Pressing of March of The Saint on CD. And I would never unload any of my Rock Candy reissues...the collector in me won’t allow it lol

The Hud likes this.
  16. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

I have two of their releases:

Hanoi Rocks - Two Steps From the Move (2 CD Deluxe Edition)

Phantom, Rocker, and Slick - Men Without Shame

The Hanoi Rocks CD doesn't sound great to my ears, compared to the original pressing, but it's the only way to get the vinyl b-sides on disc to my knowledge.

On the other hand, the Phantom, Rocker, and Slick album sounds great. This is the first time that it's ever been released on CD, and I highly recommend picking up a copy if you can track one down!

The Hud and Queezma like this.
  17. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

And it would be great if they (Rock Candy) gave the reissue treatment to Built For Speed too. THAT is in major need of remastering. My original EMI pressing on CD sounds like it was mastered in a tin can. A shame because it’s an amazing album. I am surprised EMI never did a proper reissue/proper Remaster. I need to get Phantom, Rocker, Slick. Who did the remastering....Astley or Pearce?

18. JeffHunt

I have both pressings of "Built For Speed" - the original EMI and the DCC. It's shocking that such a huge album has been out of print for years. I know that it's on iTunes, but I don't know which pressing it is, or if it's a brand new mastering done just for them.

I don't have the P/R/S CD in front of me to check that for you, unfortunately!

19. Greenalishi

Thank you so much for that. I never knew it existed. And with the live stuff i don't have. Thanks man.

noname74 likes this.
  20. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

I am not familiar with DCC. Is that the reissue company that puts out the gold CD’s?

JeffHunt likes this.
  21. The Hud

Yes. DCC was the Gold CD company that Steve worked for before Audio Fidelity.

Queezma and JeffHunt like this.
  22. JeffHunt

Yep - and Steve's master of Built For Speed is truly astounding!

Queezma likes this.
  23. Greenalishi

I have an old beat up lp of Built For Speed. Still sounds great. Great record too. Rockin'...

JeffHunt and Queezma like this.
  24. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Love their magazine!

Tony Cruse and carlwm like this.
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, it's a top read.

Just got the Y & T remasters and they sound epic! :righton:

Tony Cruse and Greenalishi like this.