Rock mistakes you’ve caught in movies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bataclan2002, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That one for sure:cheers:

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Scott's English-language of Brel's "My Death" would have made more sense too...

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Damn right! :pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

4. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Not a movie but a novel. In James A. Michener's The Drifters, the characters discuss Blind Faith's second album. (Would there actually was one!)

Fullbug likes this.
  5. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

Another Seinfeld one:
    When Neumann plans his millennium party he says he booked the place in 1978 and reserved Christopher Cross.
    Cross’ album came out in late ‘79.
    Minor I know but it ruins it for me.
    It would have worked if they had him say 1980 or 1981, when CC was hot and everyone wanted him.

mschrist likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have no complaints about that, as it's not part of the story - it's not like the characters sing it.

The songs in "Grease" don't "sound 50s" anyway. It's not like that's a movie that attempted actual realism - most of the cast of "high school students" were 60-years-old! ;)

Hey Vinyl Man and Dudley Morris like this.
  7. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

One thing I would hope we could all agree on; Jamie Foxx was utterly incredible in that film. And remember, at that time he was really only known as being a star of sophomoric comedies. Who knew he had that kind of talent?

8. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

As has been mentioned here, we're speaking about movies; fictionalized accounts produced for dramatic effect. But some examples come to mind where historical authenticity is sacrificed to the point of absurdity in order to maximize impact.
    Let's talk about Cadillac Records, the scene where Muddy Waters has just moved to Chicago. Yes, he plugged in, and this was a massively influential period that changed the course of popular music. But when he sits down on the street corner and begins to play through an amplifier, it literally sounds like Hendrix, with effects, distortion, etc. What Muddy did would have sounded new, fresh, innovative, exciting and downright mind-blowing to those who were there at the time. But he wasn't playing "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)."
    And Eddie and the Cruisers. Good movie. Good soundtrack. But the music that band plays was not authentic to the period the movie was set in. It sounds more like Springsteen than 1963.

9. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

This is going to drive me mad now any time I see someone put on a vinyl record in a movie or on a TV show. I had never thought of it before and I think it is now my favorite kind of continuity error.

It does make me want to immediately fake it out by making a movie where someone takes a cassette copy of the Beatles "Rubber Soul", rewinds it, hits play, and "Norwegian Wood" comes on. So that when someone approaches me and says that "Drive My Car" should have played instead, I can say no, "Norwegian Wood" comes first in the cassette running order. :)

drum_cas and CBS 65780 like this.
  10. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Yeah. Like all Oliver Stone movies, more "impressionistic" than factual (see also the lie-strewn JFK).

Flynbryan and Dudley Morris like this.
  11. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

I've noticed that when people in movies put on a record, they always drop the needle in the beginning of the side, and never use the cue lever. Most recently I saw Lori Petty's "The Poker House". There's a scene where Jennifer Lawrence plays a 45 with a large centre hole on a regular turntable without using any kind of adapter. The music you hear is clearly not from the record.

JoeRockhead and mschrist like this.
  12. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

The whole movie is one big error.

Hey Vinyl Man and JoeRockhead like this.
  13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

So was my initial post - sorry about all the autocorrect!

14. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

"Neumann"? Christopher Cross + Seinfeld in your very own thread seeking "rock" mistakes in "movies"? I just found 3 mistakes.

It's possible the anachronism was deliberate, in line with Newman's erroneous belief that the millennium would start in 2000. Either way, TV shows are frantic production lines, and continuity mistakes will happen. If the scene was ruined for you, it's best not to wonder why old man Sid Fields' record collection included Emotional Rescue.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  15. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Some of the films being discussed are fiction, plain and simple. But I think a film that is purporting to depict real people’s lives or real historical events has more of an obligation to be exacting in its period detail, even though it’s likely the script plays fast and loose with the facts anyway.

And even if the story is entirely fictional... there’s a line somewhere where you’d insist on some accuracy surely? You wouldn’t make a film set in the 50s and show a character using a laptop. At what point between that and “this record label was used in 1956 but not 1957” do you stop caring?

munjeet and GodShifter like this.
  16. Squealy

Why would Zeppelin be willing to give Fast Times “Kashmir” but not a song from Led Zeppelin IV?

17. In one of the deleted scenes, there's a bit that's not so much a mistake as a bit of a goof for us collector nerds to spot: Rob goes to a woman's house to check out her ex's supposedly exquisitely-valuable singles collection, and comes across a copy of the Sex Pistols' "God Save The Queen" 7". In the book it was the quickly-deleted A&M release, which is indeed worth thousands of dollars, but in this scene the single is a French copy on Barclay, which is worth maybe $20, tops.

18. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now. Thread Starter

Oh but I did catch Journey’s Escape in that collection! I let it slide though.

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The Kathryn Bigelow movie from last year, Detroit, is full of them. It is set in 1967, but several of the Motown songs aren't from that year e.g. Nowhere to Run by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, Get Ready by the Temps, and Heaven Must Have Sent You by the Elgins.

20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

If a filmmaker wants to make a film that's reporting factual info, they don't hire actors to play roles, they don't build sets, etc. They make a documentary. As soon as you hire actors to play roles, etc., you're entering the realm of fiction.

And there's a line where I'd insist on some accuracy? No. Not in the slightest.

And I've been on a crusade against that idea for decades. This isn't something I just came up with. Folks here are not going to come up with ideas I haven't heard before about this stuff.

showtaper and Flynbryan like this.
  21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Was it their second album or just their "latest" album (which is still a mistake, since it implies that there was more than one)? I remember catching that mistake too. I was also a little skeptical that six hippies would all love "Macarthur Park," but stranger things have happened.

Zack likes this.
  22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Just for the record, I agree with you. Filmmakers who do fictionalized bio-pics are creating a story and to do that effectively, they often need to reshape the material to one degree or another. What matters most is not absolute historical veracity, but internal thematic coherence on the story's own terms.

Terrapin Station and GodShifter like this.
  23. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Eddie and the Cruisers definitely sounds more like 1974 than 1963.

t-man 54 and highway chile like this.
  24. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I agree,But... Oliver Stones The Doors was ridiculous. Sorry,I had to say it.

25. Squealy

So if you made a film about the Beatles recording Sgt Pepper, or the Kennedy assassination, or the trenches of World War I, you would do no research and make no effort to at least approximate the clothes, cars, decor of the period?

I don’t think it’s as simple as “it’s fiction.” Even if you’ve taken dramatic license, the original events and people being depicted are not fictitious, nor is the general time period.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.