RocknRoll firsts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by samthesham, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident Thread Starter

TE="andrewskyDE, post: 17587069, member: 68990"]I was re-checking that tune. It contains distorted guitar sounds but no amp feedback. Btw, another early recording with guitar distortion is 'Rocket 88' by Ike Turner's Kings Of Rhythm.[/QUOTE]
    Actually it is titled Jackie Brenston&His Delta Cats-Rocket 88 but it has Ike Turner and his Kings of Rhythm playing on it.I have 5 different copies including the original 78 RPM Chess 1548.I have been a avid/rabid collector of Ike Turner since mid 60s.Peace.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

First multitracked one-man band solo album: McCartney (1970, probably not, maybe Les Paul or Joe Meek had one man albums before that?)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Skip Spence "Oar" was the first I know of. It was recorded in 1969 over seven days in Nashville, on which Spence plays all of the instruments.

sekaer, andrewskyDE, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  4. samthesham

[QUOTE="andrewskyDE, post: 17587069, member: 689 re-checking that tune. It contains distorted guitar sounds but no amp feedback. Btw, another early recording with guitar distortion is 'Rocket 88' by Ike Turner's Kings Of Rhythm.[/QUOTE]
    No. The sound that you hear on Rocket 88 is not distortion but a busted woofer from their amp that was damaged when it fell out the car on the way to the studio.And Ike stuffed it with paper and that is what people called distortion.But it isn't its a busted speaker.Peace.

5. samthesham

The first artist in the RnR medium to be recorded as a one man band is Wilbert Harrison Let's Work Together also the title became a hit in 68.He toured with CCR as the opener in 69.I saw the tour.Peace.

6. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

First band to include Butch Vig and Duke (Doug) Erickson: Spooner

(Second band to include Butch Vig and Duke (Doug) Erickson: Firetown)
    (Third band to include Butch Vig and Duke (Doug) Erickson: Garbage)

7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Ry Cooder's eighth studio album, Bop Till You Drop, released in 1979 and consisting almost entirely of covers of earlier rhythm and blues and rock and roll classics,
    was the first digitally recorded major-label album in popular music.

ribonucleic, McLover, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  8. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

This statement bears repeating. Sadly, that seems to be necessary far too often in the current climate.
    There are many factual errors & incorrect claims within this thread.

Oh, well. :shrug:

9. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

First I thought it was a first and last, and that's when I remembered the Four Seasons' Motown stint

WilliamWes likes this.
  10. Yep.And they are quite obscene.[/QUOTE]
    obscene for that time but once you hear it you hear it everytime you hear the song

11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

The first rock band to tour the Iron Curtain countries - Blood, Sweat & Tears (1970)

12. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

The first US band, perhaps. Finnish band The Boys (no relation to the later UK punk band) did a tour of East Germany in August 1965. I don't know if they were the first though.

Silksashbash likes this.
  13. AudiophilePhil

You may be right but that band is not popular worldwide. I can rephrase my original statement to the following:
    The first internationally known or commercially successful rock band to tour the Iron Curtain countries - Blood, Sweat & Tears

14. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Talking about Finland, the first Finnish rock'n'roll record was the instrumental Hawaiian Rock by Onni Gideon in 1957. A friend of mine has the original shellac 78 and played it to me on his wind-up gramophone. I am presenting it to you now on a much humbler format.

PHILLYQ and Standoffish like this.
  15. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

Fair enough. In connection, has it yet been established what was the first ever major band to perform in the eastern bloc (just a single gig, that is)? The Stones supposedly played in Warsaw, Poland in 1967 but were they the first or did somebody beat them to it?

16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The first rock-related LP to win the Grammy for Album of the Year: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles, 1968 (for achievement in 1967).

17. AudiophilePhil

You are correct. They performed in Warsaw, Poland in 1967. That has made them the first major act to tour a country beyond the Iron Curtain beating Blood, Sweat & Tears by three years.
    That would make BS&T the first American band to tour the eastern block countries during the Cold War.

Aftermath and stetsonic like this.
  18. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

From Onni Gideon to Hanoi Rocks in less than 25 years. Sure was a wild ride. :)

19. samthesham

What is commonly known as the 1st RnR song (I disagree) was the 1st RnR side cut at Memphis Recording Service March 5,1951 subsequently Sun Records.Titled "Rocket 88' was waxed by Jackie Brenston And His Delta Cats featuring Jackie Brenston ,vocal/baritone sax;Ike Turner ,vocal/piano
    Raymond Hill,tenor sax;Willie Kizart,guitar;Willie Sims,drums;unknown claves.Produced by Sam Phillips.This info comes from my The Legendary Ike Turner -That Kat Sure Could Play! The Singles 1951-1957;Ike Turner Singles Discography 1951-1957.Pure Ike Bliss!129 sides of everything Ike cut in that time frame with 16 pages of historical facts about The Mac Daddy of RnR.Hell he even taught Elvis on the piano& was a talent scout for Sam.But I'm sure someone who wasn't even born until the 60s on will dispute it." Just the facts ma'am, just the facts;Jack Webb-Dragnet mid 60s.Peace.
    Note: It was pressed and released on Chess 1458.

20. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Chris Clark-a White Motown act since 1964.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

McLover, bekayne and LandHorses like this.
  21. The Quiet One

The Quiet One Forum Resident

The Beatles were the first rock band to receive the MBE award.

oboogie and AudiophilePhil like this.
  22. WilliamWes

Again for years before Chris Clark, the female singer was the only Motown artist (with the Four Seasons) on the label and then Rare Earth. Just look it up guys before you post, doesn't take long.

There have been some great ones here I never learned about anyway.

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Brother of Alex Harvey.

Adam9 and samthesham like this.
  24. WilliamWes

But not the first rock band in China:

The Peking All-Stars were a rock band formed in Beijing in 1979 by a number of foreigners then resident in the Chinese capital, and was the first rock group in China. The band was formed by Graham Earnshaw, on guitar and vocals, Chris, a Brazilian drummer, and Richard Thwaites, an Australian bass player who doubled as the China correspondent of the Australian Broadcasting Commission. It played the first rock concert in China at a university campus hall in Beijing in late summer of 1979, a performance that is commemorated by a photograph in the book China After Mao by Liu Heung Shing.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I believe the intro to "I Feel Fine" was the first "intentionally recorded" (or "intentionally induced") guitar feedback on record. That's what I've read but I have no idea if it's actually true.

Jimmy B., oboogie and andrewskyDE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.