Rocky series ranked best to worst

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by gottenbold, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottenbold

gottenbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

I watched my first Rocky film last night!

For some reason I have never watched a Rocky film in my life, so last night I pulled out my boxset and watched Rocky 3. (I probably should have started with the first!)

I enjoyed it immensely! Here are a few thoughts on the film's plus and minus points.

PLUS:

Some decent acting from Stallone in places. His confusion and fear before the first fight with Clubber and his pain when Apollo mentioned the death of Mickey were conveyed well.

The training montages. These were well edited and put together. When he finally outruns Apollo on the beach I was exhilarated!

Exciting fight scenes. I actually replayed the last fight scene when he beats Clubber as it was so good!

MINUSES:

The fight with Hulk Hogan. It was absurd. Its preposterouness jarred.

The whole story arc seemed a little rushed. I think the story arc could have been more drawn out. Mickey's announcement of his retirement came out of nowhere. The way that Clubber was shown watching all of Rocky's fights was too simplistic. Surely there was a better way to introduce the character?

Can you rank the film's from best to worst, and tell me your favourite and least favourite scenes/moments?

eric777 likes this.
  2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

razerx, Dude111, Bingo Bongo and 3 others like this.
  3. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I loved all of them except for parts 3 and 4. In my opinion, part 3 is pointless. Part 4 is only important in regards to how the story progresses onward. I won’t say why since there are a couple of spoilers.

If I were you, I would start with 1 and work your way up. The best thing about these films in my opinion is not the fight scenes, but rather the story itself. Parts one and two are less about fighting and more about the characters. Parts 5 onward go back to being less about fighting and more about the story.

Much of what I disliked about parts 3 and 4 were just like you said. They were rushed. The plots for both films are very basic. They are more about Rocky defeating someone who appears stronger.

In my opinion, the first two are the best ;however, I still loved everything after part 4 including Creed.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Burgess Meredith is very, very good in these movies. Sometimes he has corny dialog, but it's very easy to forget that he's really not this grizzled fight trainer.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

First/last with Drago last.

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ridiculous street fight ending with Don King figure in attendance!

Then he is ancient and slow, comes out of retirement, fights heavyweight world champ and lasts 15 rounds!

Just 1 and 2 in full please aside from later isolated clips.

7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

3 is my favorite but it is the one i saw first when I was a kid. 1 and 2 are great as well. Saw 4 & 5 in the theater and liked 4 at the time but haven't seen it since. Found Rocky Balboa on BR a couple of years ago for les than 5 bucks and it is good as the first 3. I can see why some would think 3 was pointless. But for what it's worth I enjoyed it. It may not be the best one but it's my favorite one. I was genuinely terrified of Clubber Land.

8. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Not starting with the first is a ruination of the entire series!!!

...wait nevermind I saw Rocky III first as well.

Love them all...even Rocky 5.

1, Rocky Balboa, 4, 2, 3, Creed, 5

Nice Spoiler there. Dude said he never saw the other movies!

S. P. Honeybunch and Texastoyz like this.
  9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

10. gottenbold

Don't worry. I knew about the street fight ending even though I've not seen the film!

11. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Yeah most do because of the bad rep.

Btw I like it along with a great flashback! I envy you. Hit Rambo series after this if you haven't.

But Rocky 1 is the top of the heap along with First Blood (top of Rambo series).

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My preference
    Creed
    RB

Steve Litos likes this.
  13. gottenbold

I actually put
    I actually started watching the first Rocky last night but was in the mood for something more fast moving so went with the third one.

Saw Rambos 2 and 3 at the cinema on release (liked 2 but not 3) and a couple of years ago saw First Blood on DVD. It's very different from what followed, isn't it?

14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

The first three are so good I find it hard to separate them. II gets a lock of flack but I don't understand because it's a great natural sequel.

III for its LA vibe and Mr. T is so good. You are genuinely scared of Clubber Lang.

IV onwards starts getting silly. But IV is still interesting. Even now, I get goosebumps whenever I hear Gonna Fly Now.

Stallone directs better than you think he will. Credit should go to DOP Bill Butler who also worked on Jaws. He's so underrated.

Jack Lord and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  15. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Rocky
    Rocky 2
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky 3
    Rocky 4
    Rocky 5

I'd prefer to pretend "Creed" doesn't exist. The ending of "Rocky Balboa" was a fine way to say goodbye to the character. I regret going back for more. I don't need to see this character suffer any more hardships at this point.

I like III for sentimental reasons as I watched it as a kid but it is pretty ridiculous with Thunderlips and all that stuff.

Like Star Wars and Jaws, probably the best thing to do it just quit after the first film.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Rocky
    Rocky Balboa
    V
    II
    IV
    III

The first is easily the best, but "Balboa" is also very good.

The rest are flawed and never better than mediocre...

17. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Jaws unquestionably, most certainly... but Star Wars...???

The Empire Strikes Back
    is a popcorn masterpiece whilst Return of the Jedi is a flawed-but-worthy conclusion to the saga overall...after those two, then you can quit.

As far as Rocky goes... the first two are essential, Rocky Balboa is optional if you're in the mood... forget the rest.

seed_drill likes this.
  18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Oddly enough, 3 was also the first one I saw. But that is because I was 12 and my family took me to the theater when it first came out.

Seeing it lately, I agree that is seems rushed. But it is still pretty good.

The Hulk Hogan thing made more sense at the time, as wrestling and he were pretty big. Cross-promos like this happened once in a while. I remember it was a big deal at the time that he sort of admitted what he was doing in the ring was an act, but they didn't quite admit wrestling was fake yet.

My favorites:, in order

Rocky
    Rocky II
    Rocky III
    Creed
    Rocky Balboa

IV and V are not necessary IMO.

genesim likes this.
  19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

While it's watchable, in no way do I see "Rocky II" as "essential" - I'm not even sure it's good!

It's basically a cheap remake of the original with a more audience-pleasing ending...

Rocky II: The Undisputed Collection [Blu-Ray] (1979)

Quadboy and Texastoyz like this.
  20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Both quotes look the same? However, I have edited after the fact. I try not to, but I do, so people can and do quote me different. Not a big deal to me. If it is, I will point it out.

If one wants the best experience ABSOLUTELY. Star Wars is the only film that truly works by itself and you don't get the sniveling love sick changed Han and everything else that goes awry with Empire.

Star Wars as in the original is perfection and that is why it continues to stand at the head after adjusting for inflation.

Empire is 100% overrated and will always remain second (and maybe even 3rd actually) in my book.

Can't agree there. I think Rocky III for instance with the story of being fame drunk is essential to the Rocky canon. It is just as essential and Return of the Jedi without question.

There are a lot of great scenes in the movie and I while I see the "remake" point, I don't think it is cheap at all and expands on many themes quite a bit. First and foremost Adrian's feeling about his fighting that comes with her first misunderstanding questions on their first date.

Mickey's concern is also well developed. I would even argue the scenes with Gazzo.

I wish OP would watch the darn movies so I can get into this though. lol

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  21. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Yes, Empire is great, I love it, but then you open the door to a whole bunch of other stuff. Considering what followed it (EWOKS, GUNGANS, FINN RIDE HORSEY), maybe it's best to just be one and done. Farm boy saves Princess. Gets metal. Bye.

genesim likes this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Watching the 3rd installment to start the series was certainly a strange decision.

I-IV were good but I didn't like the rest (including Creed), with the exception of Rocky Balboa (basically Rocky 6) in which Stallone acted well but I didn't like the TV look of the fight as opposed to the cinematic one we've had with 1-4. I missed that. A rather anti-climatic way of doing it, IMHO.

I'd rate them as 2, 1, 3, 4, 6. 5 and Creed are out.

genesim likes this.
  23. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I've always been a fan of II over and above all the others, but outside of the one with Tommy Morrison, they're all enjoyable to watch. I'd probably go:

The Best:
    Rocky II
    Rocky Balboa
    Rocky
    Creed

The Good:
    Rocky IV
    Rocky III

Ugh:
    Rocky V

24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that thought this way.

The "HD" look just sucks to me. I don't want to feel like I am watching a TV while seeing a theatrical situation. That just makes no sense whatsoever. Along with the weird Scorsese/hallucinogen look, it just didn't trust the fighters to just be as it was in the first movie.

There are lots of things that were right about the film, but lots of things like this that plays up to the modern thinking that were just flat out wrong.

All this talk makes me want to watch the first film again. While the mono track was lossy at least the latest bluray fixed the color issues that was prevalent in most sets before. If this ever comes out on 4K I will be so buying this especially if we get a proper high quality mono track.

25. gottenbold

The blue crop top that Apollo wears on the beach in III is a moment of unintentional high camp!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.