Roger Ebert documentary "Life Itself"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It'll be re-run Friday, January 9th, on CNN.

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I recorded it last night and will watch as soon as I can. He always seemed very passionate about what he thought about films and it came across on "At The Movies With Siskel and Ebert." I have to admit to watching bits and pieces while it was recording last night and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I have to admit, it was very hard to look at Roger's post-cancer face. I've seen pictures of course but seeing it close up on video, his mouth hanging there with nothing behind it, I felt queasy at first. Poor guy.

4. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

A few years ago I saw an online article about Roger Ebert, before he passed away, that dealt with his illness and issues relating to it. There was a photo of him and I don't know if it was the way my screen is configured or if they planned it this way, but from the top of the page, you'd only see the upper portion of his face in the photo until you scrolled down to read the rest of the interview. He looked just like the same old Roger Ebert, until...

As others have said, very brave of him to let everyone see him during his illness and see what he was going through, and I admire how he kept going and doing what he did.

I tended to like the stuff Siskel liked, more so than Ebert. But I'm looking forward to catching this. Thanks for the heads up.

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Especially when they talk about the particular incident that led to the reconstructive surgery going horribly wrong. I read his blog up until his last post and he kept his spirits up to the end.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

He was asked if he feared dying, and he said, "There's nothing to be afraid of." :winkgrin:

bluejeanbaby and IronWaffle like this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Watched it last night. Loved the outtakes with Roger and Gene doing promo's for the shows.

Never realized he won a Pulitzer...

Best part was the story of Gene writing the note on the airplane to have Roger step into the cockpit.

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Finally catching this on CNN right now. Most enjoyable. :righton::righton:

rburly likes this.
  9. This movie will be available on DVD & blu-ray on Feb. 17th, if anyone's interested in having it in their video library...:wave:

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I missed it. Finding a schedule for a CNN rebroadcast is mind numbingly difficult.
    Anyone have info on a rebroadcast?

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Jan 9th airing, both time slots, were pre-empted by the Paris bombing.

12. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Yeah, that was frustrating. Glad it's coming out on DVD.

13. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

CNN actually ran it just last night again, though I don't know if it had been scheduled for that date all along or if it was just a rebroadcast to make up the interrupted 1/9 ones. Either way, they've been showing it quite frequently, usually on weekends, so I won't be surprised if it pops up again soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.