Roger McGuinn / 5CD Original Album Classics (Columbia)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Oct 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Original Album Classics - Roger McGuinn (Columbia/Legacy)

CD 1 Roger McGuinn
    CD 2 Peace On You
    CD 3 Roger McGuinn & Band
    CD 4 Cardiff Rose
    CD 5 Thunderbyrd

It's been a very long time since I heard the original LPs and from memory some of these albums were not up to the standard of the first one Roger McGuinn, which I thought was very impressive. Peace On You was a good enough follow up but I could have lived without Roger McGuinn & Band. Cardiff Rose had some good moments but I can't recall any of the music on Thunderbyrd (although I liked the title!). So, on balance I guess this (budget) box is worth buying but I'd love to here any opinions for or against these 5 albums.

[​IMG]

2. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Did not know there were versions released with bonus tracks. BTW, really like the James Taylor release in this series.

3. Jackie P

I can't figure why all bonus tracks that were included on previous stand alond CD editions have not been included in this box.
    From what I understand the two bonus tracks on Roger McGuinn, and one on Peace On You have been included. For whatever reason the two live bonus tracks from to the previous stand alone CD edition of Roger McGuinn & Band are not included here, neither are the two tracks that were previously added to the stand alone CD edition of Cardiff Rose.

GodBlessTinyTim, Hep Alien and intv7 like this.
  4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I do not have this set but it would be well worth picking up. I will order one myself. The albums are not great but I don't think they are all in print anymore and my guess is that once these sell through that is it for Roger and his solo back catalogue outside of his own cottage industry. I do not know but assume these albums being on Columbia (Sony) will not be easy to license. There are Japanese card sleeves which are nicely done but they are out of print and go for reasonably serious money if you can find them. I like Roger's solo work in the 70s post Byrds and it deserves being available. I believe there are new vinyl versions of Cardiff Rose and the debut (which I do have).
    PS might be worth looking at the Byrds Nyrds thread as well.

Hep Alien and richierichie like this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I agree and a bit annoying really but there you go.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Are you sure that they are not? You can't always go by the track listings on these sets. The Mancini set, for example, includes the twofer of Breakfast at Tiffany's and Arabesque, but lists only the former.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Jackie P

Yes, I check that (very lengthy) thread now and again and have no doubt these albums are covered there but having to read through all those pages just to find references to these 5 Roger McGuinn albums is not very appealing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  8. Jackie P

* I have just posted a link to this thread on the Byrds Nyrds one.

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I wish I knew about this set before I took the time to needledrop all these albums :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  10. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Thunderbyrd has Roger McGuinn singing Tom Petty's "American Girl" (which is Tom Petty's verison of Roger McGuinn singing style)

11. Raoul V.

Raoul V. Well-Known Member

Have you noticed the "originally released" errors on the back of the box? It should read 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977!

Hep Alien and Jackie P like this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Loved the first album and Cardiff Rose. The others were okay, nothing special...however these sets are generally great for picking up the albums cheaply and quickly.

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Yeah it looks like they used the Sundazed masters for the first two and the Sony for the other three. That is a bit strange.

melstapler, Hep Alien and Jackie P like this.
  14. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

...I agree......!

15. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Even though I already had the albums I had to get this box, when I bought it, it was very cheap £7.99, so it was a no-brainer which suited me!

Just checked my Amazon orders, tax dodgers as we love to call them over here, and I got it in September `16.

The albums, I love the first 2 and Thunderbyrd, the other 2 are OK, it`s Roger McGuinn, it`s gonna be at least interesting.

The mastering? They sound good to me and that`s all that matters.

zobalob and Jackie P like this.
  16. I love the Byrds and would be all over this set if McGuinn made great solo records in the 70s.

What a disappointment after all those great Byrds albums.

17. Raoul V.

Replying to my own post. I guess they didn't mention the release dates in the original order but used the re-release dates for the first two.

Hep Alien and Jackie P like this.
  18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, the Byrds kinda sputtered out with some mostly lame releases, so it wasn't as if the bar was high for his solo career. The debut sounded promisingly re-energized, and Cardiff Rose has its moments (but someone please tell McGuinn that Jolly Roger is NOT one of his best songs and he doesn't have to play it at ever show), but I'd call his Columbia solo career mostly disappointing. I wouldn't call any of these albums "really good" or "great".

melstapler, Marc Perman and Hep Alien like this.
  19. Strawberry Fields Forever

Strawberry Fields Forever Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. Those were the key two releases.

20. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Worth getting the compilation BtRnR too for the best version of Bag Full of Money.

I like the Roger McGuinn and Band record, it's underrated in my view. Roger is currently working on an unreleased tracks project - praying we will get archive recordings and not re-recorded tracks. Would love some stuff from the 80's to surface.

melstapler and Hep Alien like this.
  21. Raoul V.

Roger's work on an unreleased tracks project was already on the trails in the late 90s.

22. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

True but on Twitter a few weeks ago he said he was currently working on it - will be called Sweet Memories.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Jackie P

Just received a copy of the Roger McGuinn 5CD Original Albums Classics.

CD 1

[​IMG]

Roger McGuinn - Roger McGuinn (Columbia/Legacy) CD

with
    Original LP released 1973

This CD sounds great! I love all the tracks - and the fact there is such a variety of styles too. The two bonus tracks tagged on at the end of the original are also well worth having.

This album has more than stood the test of time and I'm beginning to think there is more than a better chance the remaining 4 CDs in the box will impress more than I had remembered them from when they were originally released.

For anyone missing out on any of the albums this box set is currently selling for half the price of the original stand alone CD (on Amazon UK) so getting hold of a copy of is a must. It certainly was for me!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Hep Alien and zobalob like this.
  24. Jackie P

CD 2

[​IMG]

Peace On You - Roger McGuinn (Columbia/Legacy) CD
    with

Original LP released 1974

Maybe not quite as essential for me as CD1 (Roger McGuinn) but certainly well worth having. A solid band outing with plenty of memorable tracks mixed in with some outstanding ones.

zobalob likes this.
  25. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

In my opinion, the first album and "Peace on You" and "Cardiff Rose" are all great albums musically that I have listened to many many times over the years, originally on vinyl and later on CD. The other two albums are OK, nothing mindblowing in my opinion, but occasional enjoyable rides. So, overall, the 5CD box set is totally worth getting if you don't have any of these albums. The only one of the missing bonus tracks that is really missed is the excellent live version of "Dreamland" that was on the previous version of "Cardiff Rose"; the other missing bonus tracks are nice but not critical in my opinion.

The MEZ, Hep Alien and Jackie P like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.