Roger Waters Amused to Death Coming to LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Acoustic Sounds just posted this on Facebook:

'Amused To Death' — Roger Waters' portrait of a distracted society — returns with a remastered release, including a new cover, gatefold artwork for the QRP-pressed vinyl edition, a 5.1 surround remix on Blu-ray and SACD and a DSD download. Coming Friday, July 24, and available now for preorder.

We're pleased to announce that Analogue Productions / Acoustic Sounds is collaborating with Columbia Records / Legacy Recordings on the release of the 2LP 200-gram vinyl, the SACD and the DSD download of this landmark reissue in the U.S.. The vinyl is being plated and pressed by Quality Record Pressings. Click this link for the details, a video interview with Roger Waters and to preorder: http://bit.ly/1H7tZvD

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  2. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Seeing is believing.

3. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

It can't go wrong now!! Love it.

4. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

5. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

6. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Okie dokie.

7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Last I saw, this was $50 for 2LP.

8. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident

£37.99 seems a bit steep! I noticed there is also a picture disc edition available for pre-order too. I like the look of the picture disc, would I be better off ordering the standard edition with sound quality in mind?

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

YES

10. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Ok, so now that we know the facts, these are the important bits of information (or lack of information) about the vinyl release:

Apparently this will indeed be released in the US with Analogue Productions label catalog number, and not just pressed at QRP. This is what surprised me the most and it is something that raises a few questions...

- Who is cutting the lacquers?
    - Is it a different cut used for US AP and EU Sony releases?

What can possibly justify the huge price difference between US and EU versions? I'd say that the only reason for such a difference would be that they have different audio production...

The plot thickens even more... :D

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I haven't seen any mention of whether the blu-ray includes the promotional videos that came out at the time. It should, in my opinion.

12. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Yawn, Who's prices in the EU are you comparing with Acoustic Sounds ($50USD+shp)? Saw a listing for ($85AU+shp) in one spot today. If it is Amazon.co.uk (£37.99 free shp) you are comparing, that is an estimated price (and it will usually go down a bit by delivery, per their pricing policy). The last time I checked, there are import costs and shipping costs. I don't believe there has been any word specifically about who did the lacquers or of different regional product differences. My bet would be QRP did the plating, it would make sense, but I don't know.

13. SergioRZ

VinylRob we're talking about different things, there is a European LP to be released in June 2015 from Sony/Columbia, it isn't on the Analogue Productions Label. It will probably be priced under 30 Euros everywhere in Europe... is it different from the AP version in anything else besides pressing plant?

14. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I couldn't make that distinction from what was said above sorry, and didn't realize there was "in fact" another pressing to complicate issues even more.

Without further information though, I believe another plant would be "hard pressed" to match QRP's job, yet I realize that remains to be seen and heard. (pun fully intended)

15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

All the album’s nuances come through clear as a bell in the 5.1 surround mix and re-mastered stereo mix by James Guthrie, who mixed the original release and has worked with Waters since Pink Floyd’s The Wall (1979).

Was Guthrie the mastering engineer for the stereo mix? Was hoping Gray would be involved. I couldn't care less about 5.1.

16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

I'm not a multi-channelist either, yet I do like SACD done right for two channel. Going for the vinyl by QRP.

17. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

He brings a very important, if uncomfortable, message here. In fact, the message of his Amused To Death album may be more relevant than ever today.

snkcube, Geir, Billy Infinity and 2 others like this.
  18. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

where's the "additional material" that was originally mentioned way back when?

19. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Several people in the news have been commenting on your very point. To Rogers credit, we can now add "futurist visionary" rather than merely a rock star just commenting on what he currently sees, albeit it Neil Postman's original concept.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Billy Infinity likes this.
  20. botley

botley Forum Resident

Sounds like they have added back in extra overdubs that were overlooked for the original stereo mix.

21. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

My concern is that the stereo mix seems to have been mastered by a non-audiophile engineer. So basically, AP didn't pick the mastering engineer or otherwise wasn't involved in the way that they typically would be. Right?

22. SergioRZ

If I remember correctly, the information originally promoted eons ago was that a new stereo mix was being made for the digital releases, but not for the vinyl release, that was supposed to be cut from original master tapes by Doug Sax, not a new mix.

At this point I'm not sure if this is still true, if Doug Sax did indeed cut this before he passed away, and if he did do it did he use the original master tape with the original mix?

23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

that constitutes extra material....lol. I guess so, but I was hoping for more!

24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

saw this CD in the used bin for $2.99 on lunch break and almost grabbed it...probably should have. part of me wants to just hold off for the new one and part of my is like $3, just go buy the CD version.

25. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

So, Blu Ray audio or the SACD? That seems to be the big question. Pros and Cons? No pun intended!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.