Roger Waters Amused to Death Coming to LP and SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

After a looooong chat with Amazon I got them to issue me a promo credit for the difference of the previous pre-order and the price of the relisted item. As I did not have records of my previous order (amazon erased it and I foolishly deleted the email saying the order was cancelled) I only got a price of $23.41, even though I'm pretty sure the price I was locked in at was $18.97. Whatever, no point complaining, Amazon was very cooperative with me.

Hawkeye and Simon A like this.
  2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I decided to go with the vinyl release ( double album for old timers like me ) and couldn't be happier. Cleaned the records on my Okki Nokki before playing and they are dead quite and sound fantastic. I read an earlier post about pops and clicks on records but the poster doesn't say if he cleans new records before playing them. I highly recommend cleaning all new, and of course used, vinyl before playing. I always empty the contents of my vacuum tank on my Okki Nokki into a white bowl after a cleaning session of new vinyl and it's just amazing to see the all the crud that comes off new records.

Simon A and Dino like this.
  3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I got the picture vinyl today (I know, momentary lapse of reason/it goes back and proper normal records on the way). Good to see it looks like Doug Sax most likely cut the entire album. All records have TML-M in the dead wax. Despite the noisy picture vinyl the music sounds very good and well done.

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  4. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

That was me I think. I don't usually clean new records because I rarely find a need to. But I did give this one a good clean on the RCM to see if it would improve things - it did, to a degree, but couldn't remove four or five consecutive 'ticks' near the start of What God Wants (Part I). There seems to be a small amount of vinyl residue fused on to the surface here... I totally accept this is a one-off fault and I have arranged a replacement.

It's not really a moan though. I am several decades shy of a vinyl newbie so I do know that records are never entirely silent...

It's a great production and I plan to compare it to my original vinyl - well to record one of the original vinyl anyway, as my second record was missing when I obtained it...! - Still, I do have the original sleeve and booklet and if the remixed elements of this new version are limited to just the two tracks previously mentioned then both of those are on record one, so I guess I have actually ended up with both versions on vinyl... Sort of..!

It is a great album though I do still worry that all that 'yellow rose' stuff on Watching T.V. is a little, erm, 'unfortunate'... Not sure what he was thinking there but it doesn't sit easily with me...

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Same here. Heard the album for the very first time yesterday and that "yellow rose" bit made me cringe. "Careful With That Age Eugene";)

6. analogy

analogy Active Member

Stupid question perhaps, but after buying the 2LP version of AtD (which I adore) I was thinking about getting the SACD release as well, because I really like the higher resolution SACD's offer. However, I have 'only' a stereo setup and I saw that the AtD SACD was offered as 'Hybrid multichannel SACD' at Analogue Productions. Will this still be playable on my stereo setup or do you really need a 5.1 setup for this release? All this technical mumbo jumbo is confusing me.

And any reviews on the SACD maybe? Loads of info on the LP release, but not so much on the SACD. And how's the CD release?

7. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

It will be playable on your setup but there would be little benefit to buying the SACD unless you have an SACD player. If you do have an SACD player you would need to make sure that the player is set to play the 2ch area on the SACD and not the multi ch area.

8. analogy

analogy Active Member

I have a SACD player, of course. I own various SACD's but most specifically mention there's a stereo track on the SACD and this one doesn't seem to do that.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I Posted there were some minor pops and clicks. I normally play new records first and clean them if necessary, unless they come out the sleeve with excessive dirt and static. Normally I don't see the need to RCM clean QRP product because it looks clean an plays clean. May clean this one but sometimes the clicks are gone on second play.

BTW this Lp has proper QRP stickers on the sleeve and looks like a proper AP record. AP as well as Legacy logos printed on the sleeve. I believe this is the only version even if Sony are marketing it. If anyone gets something different please post the information.

10. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

All SACDs have a 2ch mix on them. It is a requirement of the format I believe.

11. analogy

analogy Active Member

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks for clearing that up!

PROG U.K. and Mij Retrac like this.
  12. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

No, it is not a requirement of the format. There are a few early SACDs without a stereo mix but they are really rare.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You've stated this three times in this thread I believe.

The truth is this title on vinyl is a niche market specialty item. The numbers pressed have to be considered early on. In order to contain costs, the pressing run numbers must be decided on before a single copy has been pressed or a cover has been made. They do not keep an open run and press as they go for a Roger Waters album on vinyl. The numbers on this will be limited and then gone!

Classicrock likes this.
  14. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Pink Floyd SACD "Wish you were here" has sold over 40.000 copies.
    "An audience member asked if Super Audio CDs (SACDs) have a future. Chad Kassem of Acoustic Sounds said "If they weren't selling, we wouldn't be doing them." Kassem noted that the 5.1 Multichannel SACD of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd has sold over 40,000 copies to date. He said that the success of that SACD reissue led to interest in additional SACDs from Pink Floyd band members including the upcoming 5.1 Multichannel SACD of Amused to Death by Roger Waters which is scheduled for release on July 24."

http://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/dsd-analog-great-convergence/

warp2600 likes this.
  15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

So, Mr. Kassem, when will you be releasing the Animals SACD?

:D

Seriously, thanks for posting that. Encouraging!

LEONPROFF and Simon A like this.
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Could somone tell the player manufactures and Sony Music (who should be well aware of this by now) to make new machines that do native DSD and start issuing more titles. We will soon be reliant on Oppo and old Universal players to accommodate the format.

17. Neonbeam

This would explain why some German dealers limited this to one copy per customer. Why would you do that if it was an open run?

German Amazon has already priced the picture disc 10% down. Apparently this is not exactely a top seller;)

18. Neonbeam

This would explain why some German dealers limited this to one copy per customer. Why would you do that if it was an open run?

German Amazon has already priced the picture disc 10% down. Apparently this is not exactely a top seller;)

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I want the picture disc version - provided it's not one of those pop crackle city deals. Sometimes they are pressed thick and clean of ticks / clicks. If this is a good quality set then I want one.

20. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

That set of rules applies to 99% of all vinyl releases today... ;)

This release by Sony Europe is not any different. As far as I know there is absolutely no information from suppliers in Europe or from Sony Europe itself that this product is to be considered a limited edition. Sure it might and probably will be gone soon, but the product life-cycle is no different from any other Sony release. This is the information I have as a retailer. I have, obviously, nothing to gain by saying this... and I might be wrong, no problem. Maybe they'll switch to a completely European pressed version in the future and this QRP pressing is limited? Maybe, who knows... Let's see in a couple of years time... ;)

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I have a cheap CBS Holland Masterworks pressing of the Four Seasons and there is not a single, audible, blemish on it.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Listening to Side One right now and so, far it's been absolutely perfect without a single tick on it. If I didn't know better I'd swear his voice is coming from my centre.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Vintage Dutch CBS is like the finest LPs ever pressed. Wonderful. Decca too!

Simon A likes this.
  24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Agreed. I have long collected CBS Holland pressings. As a result of that one, I found some more from the Masterworks series for 2€ in French 2nd-hand shops and they were equally perfect.

25. jonstatt

jonstatt Forum Resident

I have heard 3 copies now, as I had 2 (one had to be replaced due to disc 2 being very off centre)...and a friends copy. All have had ticks, but in all 3 cases, disc 1 has been very good indeed with very limited ticks. It is disc 2 which has been more problematic on all 3 samples I have tried. I should also add that the few ticks I did hear on disc 1 were at a low volume, not those loud POP type ones, so depending on how loud you play it, and the sensitivity of your stylus and brightness of the pre-amp etc, you may not hear them (which is a good thing of course!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.