Rogue Audio Sphinx hybrid integrated amplifiers are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got in our new Rogue Audio Sphinx amplifier. These have the same basic output stage as the Hydra power amp with a simplified power supply and input stage. Rather feature rich with remote volume control, MM phono input, and headphone output. USA built and only $1295 for now.
    -Bill
    [​IMG]

theron d and GoldprintAudio like this.
  2. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Nice price. Is it tubed? How much power? Have you listened to it yet?

3. KT88

It has a pair of 12AU7 tubes driving a 100wpc class D output stage. All being supplied by a custom designed, linear power supply. Here is a gut-shot:

[​IMG]

More details here: Rogue Audio Sphinx
    -bill

4. james

james Summon The Queen

Would love to hear your impressions...especially compared to the Cronus Magnum

5. KT88

Hi guys,
    Sorry that I didn't answer the listening question earlier. i was busy and had just received it, so no time for that then. I did connect and test it briefly with a phono input. Since it has only been here a few hours and was cold from UPS, it wasn't until later this afternoon that I placed in in a system and energized it. It hasn't had a chance to warm-up yet so I didn't pay too much attention to sound quality, just grateful that it survived UPS at all. I did have a customer come in later in the day who was interested in an Ortofon cartridge and the table connected to the Sphinx had one on it, so I gave it a spin for him. It did sound quite nice and the customer was very impressed. He bought an Ortofon cartridge. I can't really compare it to anything else at this point. It does have a very dynamic and clean sound but is not harsh or thin at all. Bass has exceptional dynamics. It should settle-in after being in place for a day and warming up properly. I expect it to continue to become even smoother sounding after that period as do most other components.
    -Bill

6. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

With anything with a toroidal power transformer it's very important to not have any DC offset on the power line. That messes them up: not usually damaging, but the power transformer saturates. Most people don't, but if it starts sounding a little off that's one thing to check.

7. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Just curious... how would you check for that?

Thanks for posting the info on this unit... I might be looking into one of these. I love the Brio-R, but the buzz kind of annoys me a bit. I would be really interested in hearing a comparison, once these start to get out there.

:cheers:

8. KT88

Gee, I remember when you had to pay for a buzz. What are you talking about? Any noise in an amplifier would be noise on the AC. Both of my units, one of each brand and type, are dead quiet when there is no AC noise. I can connect a neon sign on the same circuit and get a slight buzzing sound though. You need to try moving the unit or using another AC bank. Also if that isn't practical, try finding the source of the interference and remove that. It is often a light dimmer. Sometimes it is component transformers being too close to each other. That's one reason why makers don't recommend stacking components.
    -Bill

9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Bill, thanks for the suggestion. I have tried plugging the Brio into other totally separate AC sections of my house, with the same results. Brought it back to my local shop, the buzz was still there, and the owner's unit had the same issue. Researched it quite a bit, and it seems to be a common issue with this amp. No big deal, it sounds awesome, just a minor annoyance I guess.

Either way, I'm looking forward to reviews on the new Rogue.

:cheers:

10. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have my Brio-R on a dedicated mains spur and not next to any other components and they all have a bit of a hum or buzz. I have the longest running Brio-R thread going (anywhere) on another forum with about 900 posts and over 115,000 views and the hum is a common theme. The higher the efficiency the speakers the more you notice. I have relatively low efficiency speakers and I have to get within inches to hear it. The hum doesn't bother most folks but there have been a few fellas trying to run Klipsch classic speakers (and other high efficiency designs) that had to pack it in. Mostly a non issue. Personally I love the Brio-R and can't imagine ever selling it. However I'd love to have another amp as an alternative and the Rogue looks interesting, though I'm leaning toward an all tube design such as a Line Magnetic.

11. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Should be very sucessful at that price point (exceptional value for the money).I'd order one sans the remote,chuck the pot and get a stepped gold point for it for around $60

12. ncblue

ncblue Well-Known Member

I ran the Brio R through 101db efficient speakers with no problems. Great little amp.

sennj likes this.
  13. KT88

I have one connected to a set of 93db efficient Tannoys here without a peep. And that with the volume cranked past 1 o'clock (a deafening level with any source signal input) and I can put my ear within an inch of that 10" Dual concentric speaker and only hear the faintest sound at all. Totally normal. Every amp that I have ever used (hundreds of models and thousands of examples) has had some level of noise and this is far below many.
    -Bill

sennj likes this.
  14. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Certainly less noise than my old Sonneteer or Unison Research amps but still more than some folks will tolerate. My NAD's and Marantz amps are quieter. Like I said, a non issue for me. Great amp as far as I'm concerned. Back to the Rogue...looking forward to more of your impressions, Bill.

15. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Most DMMs will accurately measure DC on AC in the DC mode today. If you get a result in the 5 to 500 mV range or 1 volt it probably is right. If you get exactly zero or some huge number it needs questioning.

As far as hum, it usually is NOT noise on the AC line as such. You are picking up radiation from somewhere else through the housing or cabling (often via a ground loop) or noise on the ground line. When you think about it, the AC IS hum, pure 60 cycle hum, at 120 (or 240) volts and from a very low impedance source at that.

16. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Happy Brio-R owner here with no buzz. ​
    I'm a big Rogue fan and would love to hear this new amp. My local dealer says they might get one in, but I doubt they will - if it's not all tubes, they don't care. ​

17. KT88

Noise on the ground line is noise on the AC line as far as an audio component is concerned because it is plugged into the ground at the AC outlet. The ground is tied to the neutral leg of the AC.

That has nothing to do with the new vacuum tube / Class D hybrid amplifier though...
    -Bill

theron d likes this.
  18. james

james Summon The Queen

Bump

Any more impressions of this thing yet? I've been tire kicking a new integrated amp for 5 or so years now (marriage/home purchase making it less of a priority).

My ideal new amp would have

- some tube flavor in it
    - at least 100 watts into 4 ohms
    - high damping factor
    - built in phono stage
    - headphone jack
    - remote

There are not many integrated amplifiers in the 1-3k dollar range with all of these features. I'd be interested to hear how this compares to Perseus pre-amp paired with a decent Class A/B power amp.

19. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Yes, any impressions yet? Inquiring minds want to know. I'll probably buy one of these but not for a couple of months.

20. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Plinius does this, save for the headphone jack.

21. james

james Summon The Queen

I've eyed that 9200 for years. Little rich for me though...same with the Primare integrated amps commonly paired with my Vienna Acoustic speakers.

22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I sent Rogue an email asking if they plan on offering a phono-less version for less money and they said no but were interested when I mentioned my love for a a Goldpoint stepped attenuator for volume control.They first said it would be unlikely due to size (maybe) and cost issues but the Goldpoint I have uses surface mount resistors and takes up little space in my Audio Mirror T-61 tube pre.It also only cost me about $65

23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

24. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Go for a secondhand one. They don't come along every day, of course, but with patience, one will turn up for sure.

25. james

james Summon The Queen

when my many year long tire kicking and research fun comes to an end, Plinius is on the list. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.