Rogue Audio Sphinx hybrid integrated amplifiers are now shipping!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulysse

Ulysse New Member

Thanks, moops! I'll dig these reviews.

2. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Has anyone auditioned the Rogue Sphinx with Monitor Audio RX6 (or RX8)?

Any impressions /feedback is appreciated.

3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

I have heard it with two pairs of Monitor Audio speakers. Both were older, UK built models. The sound improvements over most conventional solid state amps was similar to the results obtained using other speakers. Each speaker has its own limitations and quirks but in general I heard improved bass performance and a very transparent sound overall.
    -Bill

4. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Thanks Bill for the feedback. Sounds like you like Rogue more than the MA speakers :) Another thought I have is to get some Vandersteen 2ce sig II with the Sphinx - which my gut feeling tells me they are in a whole other league than the MAs.......best Theron

5. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Still haven't had a chance to hear this amp... looking forward to getting an opportunity some day soon. A number of great reviews out there.

6. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

me too!!!

7. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm headed To Seattle this weekend, I'm hoping The Audio Connection has one set-up for audition.

theron d likes this.
  8. moops

moops Senior Member

Hey everyone,
    Took the top off my Sphinx yesterday to try out a pair of Brimar/Mazda 12AU7 ECC82 tubes. I haven't had a great deal of experience with tubes and I wasn't sure if the hybrid type configuration would lend itself to tube rolling where I would hear much difference in tubes, but I am really enjoying what I am hearing with these, more life and smoother than the stock JJ tubes, no harshness or excess brightness and things sound more open if that makes sense. They're keepers for now. Anyway, I thought if anyone was interested I'd post some internal shots of the Sphinx that I took just to amuse myself and to help out those of a more technical persuasion .........

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. moops

moops Senior Member

some more ......

004.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

Still, duvallite and james like this.
  10. JohnBal

JohnBal Forum Resident

I have been eying this amp for a little while. I have been wanting a Rogue and this hybrid is right up my alley. I have noticed some people complaining in reviews that the volume when controlled via remote, advances in too large of a step to be useful. Does anybody notice this, and if so, does it bother you? Thanks for any input.

11. KT88

It moves pretty quick. How fast the volume in the room rises in relation to that is a function of speaker efficiency and room size though. So if you have inefficient speakers, especially in a large room, it isn't so noticeable. If you have very efficient speakers in a small room, then it'll be good for typical adjustments from all the way down to up and rockin' but you are not going to be able to do 1db steps for fine adjustment. So if you were the type who is always just looking for reasons not to like something (and I am not making an accusation here), then you'd have to grab at that because it's really the only thing even conceivable to complain about. I use a Metis Magnum at home and although I like the remote and used it in one system, where the preamp is located now, I never use the remote. I just set the level and I'm done. I couldn't be happier with it.
    -Bill

12. JohnBal

JohnBal Forum Resident

That sounds reasonable. I am using Thiel 1.5's in a smallish (12x15) room. They are not the most sensitive speakers around and I don't listen at headbanging volumes either. And, BTW, it's all about the sound for me. :) I am not the complaining type. :winkgrin: Thanks for the help.

13. moops

moops Senior Member

It's not a huge drama but I have found the remote volume control takes a little getting used to.
    Good news though ! ....... Rogue have now apparently fixed this for any new production models from February and they're even offering a retrofittable chip you can do yourself - no soldering - if you have a model from an earlier production run, as I do. :thumbsup:

http://www.rogueaudio.com/New.htm#volume

14. Ekimg

Ekimg New Member

Hi all...just joined the forum. I have been looking at the Sphinx for a few months now. I had an opportunity to demo it on a couple occassions with PSB Imagine T speakers, which I loved. I got a very good deal on the Monitor Audio RX-6s as they are being closed out and replaced, so those are now my main speakers. Has anyone heard this pairing...and if so what was your impression. I'm using an old Yamaha AV amp, and will be upgrading to a new integrated within the next 6 months hopefully. I've heard NAD and Arcam are good with the MAs, but am very intrigued with the Sphinx. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Did you get to audition one at TAC?

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

No....on that particular Seattle visit I ran out of time..

Hope to go down in a couple of weeks though I doubt I'll get to TAC this time either.
    I intend to head south to Auburn to hear the Modwright
    Auditioning amps is taking forever, thanks to the stagnant state of hifi in Vancouver.

What does Tune Hi Fi carry?
    Their website doesn't say

17. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I currently have an emotiva usp-1 & emotiva xpa -200

I ordered a pair of ascend Sierra 2 which I am currently waiting for.

I would like to switch to an integrated and feel one of the rogue pieces would be a good fit. Either the sphinx or the Cronus magnum.

Anyone have any thoughts on either piece with the ascend's?

I am also debating on a marantz pm 8004 which is probably fine to run the speakers.

I have a vpi traveler and a emotiva erc-3 CD player which I use as sources and that's it.

18. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I've never heard the Ascends that you ordered, but looking at the specs, I think either the Sphinx or Cronus would work very well with them.

19. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

Thanks.

Even though my room is the number one reason and know that is where the issue probably lies, I feel like the emotiva stuff with my magnepan mmg's have been really bright.

I imagine the marantz would have a warmer sound but I have never heard the rogue stuff and would love to buy American to go with the vpi and ascend USA made pieces.

20. GoldprintAudio

Neither of the Rogues are what I would call "bright", but I do think the Sphinx is a little more forward then the Cronus.

21. james

james Summon The Queen

I'm still tire kicking both the Cronus and the Sphinx (to replace a Brio-R to power LS50's). Every time I look around at other options, the Sphinx checks all the right boxes at an incredible price. Are they selling a lot of them? I'd think so (and hope so).

22. KT88

I have heard some large Magnepans driven by the Cronus Magnum and it was a very nice match. Most tube amps and less than stellar SS amps have trouble with the Magnepans but the Cronus Magnum pleasantly surprised us with very nice sound and without running out of steam while producing fairly high levels in a very large room.
    -Bill

23. KT88

They are selling tons of them... literally.
    -Bill

24. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

How about with the ascend Sierra 2? Is the Cronus magnum overkill?

I am selling my mmg.

25. GoldprintAudio

Don't know if I would call it overkill really. I would think it would be a great match.

And yes, Rogue is selling quite a few of Sphinx's. Just an incredible value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.