Rolling Stone record guides. Anyone else get irritated???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BrentB, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

The safe bet and comfort zone reviews...

How they would have rated ‘Caravan - In the land of pink and grey’ is another story.

2. Actually, I disagree. There were some five star reviews which had me scratching my heads particularly from artists that the label favored.

3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

which ones? im sure there are some for me too but I haven't read it in years, going by memory know they steered me to : blonde on blonde/highway 61, whos next, vu with nico, etc

Zeki likes this.
  4. The one I remember the best would be "So" by Peter Gabriel. The album has some terrific material on it but I would hardly call it a five star album. Let It Be would be another one that doesn't deserve five stars. Siren, ditto. It's a very good album but hardly five stars. Rhythm of The Saints--the arrangements are interesting but a lot of the material is second tier Paul Simon. Those are some that I recall off the top of my head. Some, of course, are spot on but they weren't always right about these either. Some of these were also revised later as well.

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

They had a lot of compilations with 5 stars, but lots of Dylan, Beatles, Stones. The Doors had s/t, Strange Days, L.A. Woman and 13 (a comp). CCR had two: Green River and Willy and the Poor Boys. Ry Cooder Paradise and Lunch. Tons of jazz were given 5 stars: Eric Dolphy, etc etc.

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Let It Be didn't have 5 stars, at least in the Red one.

7. Aphoristical

Aphoristical Aphoristic Album Reviews

Which Let It Be are we talking about. I'm fine with The Replacements album getting full marks, but The Beatles effort has always seemed like a tired end to their excellent career.

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I was thinking he meant The Beatles. Isn't The Replacements one after 1979?

Edit: if it's a different edition being discussed, I have no idea. I only know the Red one.

9. the pope ondine

i only had the original I dont think it had rhythm of the saints ( I agree more a 3-4 star - ps im sure they gave graceland five if this got five!) not really familiar with Peter Gabriel. Let it Be maybe a four star but it did have some great songs....hard to rank it too low

going on ancient memory (I used to study that book) Aretha had a few, Costello, Hot Rats? I remember they hated Chicago, gave them all 1 or 2, Styx as well, they weren't really into Eagles/Linda Ronstadt

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, on Aretha. Also a couple of Joni Mitchell (Court and Spark, for sure). Fairly new, at the time, was Graham Parker. And I'm pretty sure there were a couple of Yes albums with 5 stars.

Almost too many jazz and blues, considering those sections were add-ons (didn't it say "someone should do a similar guide for jazz and blues"?). I thought they were getting a bit carried away in handing out the stars.

11. Aphoristical

the pope ondine likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

13. Aphoristical

Apparently the two acts that Dave Marsh hated and kicked off the initial list were The Doors and Yes.

14. the pope ondine

yeah I don't see sticky fingers or exile on here, I thought they were 5 stars but maybe now, has this been edited?

15. Leaman

Leaman Has a foggy notion

Very true. They have been stuck on the rock acts that were popular when the magazine was founded.

I mean, I love the Beatles, the Stones, Floyd, Hendrix, etc., as much as the next guy. But to Rolling Stone, nothing can ever reach those peaks.

I also find it somewhat humorous the way they savaged new bands that came along, only to honor them as legends later on when they would have been crazy not to. Their early reviews of Zeppelin were outright brutal, but now they find them good enough to join the above-mentioned canon of greats.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yep, they disappeared. Neil Young's Everybody Knows This is Nowhere is gone, too. And The Beatles Let It Be is now on the 5 star list.

Aphoristical likes this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Doesn't it just depend on how much the reviewer likes the album? Do you think that no one could really like So, Let It Be, Rhythms of the Saints, etc. that much?

18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but Rolling Stone had a personal relationship with a lot of people in that crowd--basically the singer-songwriter and soft rock crowd, including both JT and Ronstadt. They were always very biased towards people they had personal relationships with. Sometimes that seemed to make them a bit more (and more pithily) demanding on them, too--they seemed to get more frustrated with those folks when they did something that RS felt wasn't up to par, though they'd give more thoughtful, constructive criticism about it, but they were still biased towards those folks.

Personally, I'd give both JT and Ronstadt 5 stars for some albums, and not just because I had out 5 star ratings like candy. But that doesn't mean that RS wasn't biased towards them or lots of similar/associated artists.

19. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

I picked up the first couple of editions used when I was in high school and even then I thought they were snobby. I used them just as basic discographies until I got M.C. Strong's and my first price guides.

20. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

The Dylan one was really good reading I thought.

21. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I'm in the middle of reading the newly published history of Wenner/ Rolling Stone, "Sticky Fingers". It's a good read particularly if you were a longtime subscriber back in the day, and its quite an eye opener. Around 1970, RS was close to bankruptcy but was rescued by loans from the big labels which Wenner personally arranged. I'd love to go back to see how said labels' major releases fared relative to those which did not give RS money. Landau's snarky reviews of several acknowledged classics are recounted. Wenner had a person antipathy toward Paul Simon and, for instance, Bookends was panned. Being a SF guy, Wenner is said to have disliked LA artists CSN, Joni, Jackson & the Eagles. On the other hand, he is depicted as a Jagger groupie who did not deny (or confirm) they had slept together. Someone earlier wondered how RS could have given Jagger's "Goddess in the Doorway" a five star review.

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm sure that I did at the time too. I purchased the blue guide in the late 1980's when I started scouting around for used albums. It did help me discover the New York Dolls, for one, so I'm grateful for that.

I still have that blue guide and have gone back through it recently. It's a fun read at this point, especially with 30+ years of perspective, both personally and in terms of how certain artists are now viewed critically.

Zeki likes this.
  23. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

Group Shot:

[​IMG]

Missing In Action: Rolling Stone Record Review (1971)

-- Tom

Mr. D and troggy like this.
  24. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

I disagree with all of them. I agree with all of them.

I like to use the guides for what they are good for: a good starting place to learn more about music that you are not familiar with.

They're also good for a laugh.

It's only music; it's not a competition.

-- Tom

25. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

More miscellaneous information that I discovered on my own: if you want the most complete version of the light blue (& most recent) version of the album guide -- get the hardcover. It includes artists left out of the softcover edition, like George Harrison.

-- Tom

Lost In The Flood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.