Rolling Stones 1999 Virgin LP Replica CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Futurecity, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbeamer407

dbeamer407 Forum Resident

The 1999 releases do not have the plastic sleeves you are talking about, they have an LP style outer sleeve that is exactly the same style that you can buy for a real LP

The stickers in your picture of your 8 CD's are not the same stickers that were being discussed here. The sticker on the 1999 release is round and is yellow.

This was hashed out in this thread much earlier but suffice it to say that there were LP style limited editions that came out in 1999.

Five years after the Virgin contract there was a different release that was much more limited.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Except for the serial they all have the same label on the back side of the box, with the same information. Leave me a while to see today if I can see the disks and give you the closest to correct answer.
    Except for the serial they all have the same label on the back side of the box, with the same information. Leave me a while to see today if I can see the disks and give you the closest to correct answer ! See you !!

3. danielbravo

4. danielbravo

Yes, you´re Ok. BUT with all due respect (there is always a but) , it happens that I meant 1994 editions... You mean (like previously members here) about the "relaunch without slipcase type plastic boxes" with date 10/05/1999. This is why my interpretation and observation I made.
    The true and first editions for collectors are the Virgin of 1994. But both have the same remaster, art and inserts...guess they removed the slipcases to cheapen the relaunch. However I see some more expensive than early 1994. As I have mentioned before both have the same remaster and art inserts (1994 editions and the 1999's). I must investigate more about it.

But many thanks for your observation... really. See you !

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  5. danielbravo

EXCATLY!

6. danielbravo

JULY 1994...

7. danielbravo

Both of them have the same remaster and art/inserts, but the 1999 edition comes without the slipcase, in a resealable bag with the yellow sticker (limited collector´s edition..) the 1999 version is a reissue from the initial collector's edition made in the 1994.

8. danielbravo

Attached Files:

9. danielbravo

This Is Only Rock n' Roll, 1994 collector's edition. Photos are my best efforts with the camera that I own. I hope you find them useful in answering the question.

Attached Files:

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The JAX code is in the "deadwax" of the CD. You can see it in DSC02704. Made in the USA.

11. dbeamer407

I have the '99 LP Replica's of Exile and Sticky Fingers. I do not have any of the 1994 slipcase versions, I remember seeing them back then so much earlier in this thread I was comparing them by memory. Today I saw Black & Blue in the slipcase and Tattoo You (slipcase missing). The replica sleeves from the slip case are just slightly larger than a standard CD booklet. The 99 LP replicas are a good bit larger than a typical CD booklet. That was my basis about the artwork being a little better earlier in the thread. It was good to see my memory was correct regarding the size difference.

12. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

So are the mini-LP, the Collector's Editions and the regular CD all the same masterings for the Virgin ones?

13. danielbravo

Yes. The standard and collectors editions (Virgin 1994 and 1999) have the same master.:righton:

14. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

To confuse the issue further, at some point, the standard jewel box Virgin CDs were reissued with a black "tour" sleeve of some sort. I think this was applied only to the core studio albums.

15. dbeamer407

I believe you are referring the USA collection, the only one of those I have is Exile.

16. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

What is still "kind of" a mystery though (at least to me) are those round stickers on the plastic sleeves of the 1999 larger-size LP replica CDs. The stickers, which say "Limited Collector's Edition - Digitally Remastered - Original Album Packaging" almost give it a cheap, boot-like appearance. I only have the STICKY FINGERS one, but I don't think there was ever a consensus which company issued the stickers, unless Virgin just had some company produce them and the sleeves? In other words, they don't look like an official Virgin sleeve and sticker, but I guess they are though?

17. danielbravo

They are officials... are reissues series from 1994 collectors editions without digicase. Be sure that you have the original collectors edition of Sticky Fingers released in 1999. :righton:

18. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, I do know that the 1999 LP replica's are quite official...I was only saying that those round stickers and rather cheap plastic outer sleeves give it an almost boot-appearance, but yes, they are official releases from Virgin!

danielbravo likes this.
  19. danielbravo

You have a great version of Sticky Fingers. I don't know because Virgin reissued these cds without digicases.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  20. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

In what way? Eq? Sound quality?

21. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Sound quality. Everything is much clearer, the band seems to be in the same room. It is clearly the best digital version for me, with the Virgin being a close second.

John Grimes likes this.
  22. Mark B

Mark B New Member

I have all the 1994 releases. Does anyone know if they are worth much?

23. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I can't say, but I would suspect that due to the complexity of the original artwork, only Sticky, Exile and Emotional Rescue have any special value.

24. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'm curious about this as well as I have a few of these Special Editions with the hard cover and mini-LP.

25. If you have the complete set including the plastic slipcases, all in very nice condition, then they should be worth a little something. More than your average used CD for sure. My guess would be around $15 to $20 per title, but I am not sure about current market value/prices.

Clanceman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.