Rolling Stones 2015 Tour??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by One_L, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

My memory of Keith is his hand motioning away from the guitar like he's gonna cast a spell or something. He was off timing to "my ears", and sometimes embarrassingly so...Bitch didn't come close to the actual song (original or new one) because of timing...

Again, don't get me wrong, I like Keith and was one of the few applauding hardily in my section after his numbers.

But, for all the Stones experts, why can't they do some more early stuff from the Jones era? I would have loved Satisfaction, Ruby Tuesday, Pain it black - heck even Under My Thumb, instead of a 10 minute (it seems to me) - Midnight Rambler. Do they hold a grudge or is that simply what they think audience wants to hear?

Hot Ptah likes this.
  2. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

I paid 400 dollars for a ticket. I'd much rather hear Midnight Rambler then the songs you listed above. So maybe that is what the audience wants to hear.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Shine A Light :righton:

icirider likes this.
  4. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

About the set list--they did play "Satisfaction" in Kansas City. It was the second song in the encore.

They have enough old classics to fill a four hour show. Some choices have to be made. They would have performed "Get Off Of My Cloud", 0ne of the four choices, if the fans had voted for it, instead of for "Street Fighting Man".

Bob Dylan now takes the approach that live, he will mostly play material from his last few albums, even though it is not as good (in most people's estimation) as his classic songs. At least the Stones are not playing only material from "A Bigger Bang" and "Bridges to Babylon." I agree that I would have loved to hear "Paint It Black", "The Last Time", and "It's All Over Now"--but others would probably pick different preferred songs from that era.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I'm not a Stones expert, but I've seen them a lot of times. They did play Satisfaction here in Orlando. I've seen them play Paint It Black as late as 1997, I believe. I loved the long version of Midnight Rambler and will never get tired of hearing them play it. They're mixing up their setlist somewhat depending on where they are, and I couldn't imagine them playing the same setlist every concert. They would be stale after a while. A lot of us are just happy to see them again, but I understand your desire to hear songs they haven't played in a while. I really enjoyed almost all the songs they played when I saw them.

Jack and Hot Ptah like this.
  6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I'd guess it's a combo of what they think the audience wants to hear and what they feel like playing. I saw them play Paint It Black and Ruby Tuesday and while those songs are great records and singles, they did not blow me away in concert. Midnight Rambler, I never get tired of that one.

streetlegal likes this.
  7. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

If they do Shine A Light I will @#(4.......be happy. Off to vote now.

JoeRockhead and John Fell like this.
  8. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

Everyone, please vote Shine A Light early and often. Even if you're not going. This could be my last show. XO.

duggan and JoeRockhead like this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes, the Stones have 4 songs they play pretty much every night (Jumpin Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice, Honky Tonk Woman) and another dozen or so (Satisfaction being one of them) from which they pick about 8 to play every show.

But over the years, the Stones have probably played a greater variety (and certainly quantity) of their catalog (and covers) than any other rock band ever (off the top of my head, only Springsteen compares). They've played over 300 different songs live in their storied career (although probably only about 75 different songs since the 70s). And they've played the songs you mention and others from the Jones era many times even on recent tours -- although they usually seem to incorporate only 2 to 4 of them into their sets. Paint It Black has been played over 300 times since the '89 tour. Ruby Tuesday more than 150 times. Under My Thumb was the tour opener in 81-82 and has been played every now and then on recent tours. Get Off My Cloud, 2000 Light years From Home, Time Is On My Side, The Last Time are others that find their way into the sets now and then as well.

Honestly though, as much as some folks love and prefer the Jones era stuff, most of the audience isn't familiar with most of the cuts on the earlier LPs. And IMO many of those songs just don't work as well in large stadiums and arenas.

10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I've already voted for it from three different devices... :righton:

icirider and JoeRockhead like this.
  11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Whoa, according to the IORR forum, "Shine a Light" has only been performed a total of 20 times! Didn't realize it was such a rarity. All the more reason to vote for it, then! (That is, unless these are always rigged...)

Hot Ptah and icirider like this.
  12. Rocco

Rocco Find My Way

Point well taken - and the stones should know. My personal preferences tend towards the Brian Jones days and the more pop/rock songs played without the extended jam. I am likely in the minority.

My fav was Honkey Tonk Woman - the sing-along awesome.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Shine A Light won the fan vote in Raleigh.

14. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Hope you're happy now:)

It was worth going for that and moonlight mile back to back, plus a thundering midnight rambler.

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'd rather hear In Another Land sans Wyman than hear another Midnight Rambler

16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I was there :D

jumpinjulian, John Fell and Hot Ptah like this.
  17. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

As a matter of fact I am happy now.

John Fell and Hot Ptah like this.
  18. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

This is the last performance of "Shine a Light" before tonight, from Chicago 2013:

According to IORR, it has only been played five times this century!

Hot Ptah likes this.
  19. Rachel

Rachel Active Member

My dad went to the Stones concert in Kansas City on Saturday. He's seen them at least five times live and said they were as good and lively as ever

mgb70, rburly and Hot Ptah like this.
  20. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I love the Stones but:
    • Compared with Dylan (ignoring the last 2 years) the Stones play a far narrower variety of material
    • Unlike Dylan they have been woeful in performing material from this century.
    • Neil Young is another longstanding performer happy to oftentimes build a set list around recent material.

Gazza63 likes this.
  21. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Raleigh setlist

Hot Ptah likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

23. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I saw Bob Dylan live in May and the Rolling Stones live about six weeks later. I have been a huge Dylan fan for
    over 40 years. Being objective, the Rolling Stones are about 1,000,000,000 times better live today. I mean, it is not even close, at all. Song choices are not the issue-the difference in level of live performance today is simply vast, between them. Sorry Bob but it is true.

rburly and jumpinjulian like this.
  24. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

'Satisfaction'? They play it every night without fail . Its their final song. Aside from the 1999 No Security tour, the number of arena or stadium shows in the last 35 years where theyve omitted it could be counted on one hand.

Paint It Black is sort of semi regular and was basically a warhorse until recently - where theyve now done a bit of revisionism by putting it things like fanvotes as if its an obscurity.

the answer to your question can be summed up in two words - Mick Jagger.

Chuck Leavell regularly pitches song ideas to him during a tour. He's on record as saying that Jagger basically isnt interested in doing a) anything from the Brian Jones era that isnt a warhorse and b) more than about one ballad per show.

Keith has basically abdicated all responsibility by leaving song choices to Mick because 'he has to to sing them'.

Basically it would appear that the man regularly described as the greatest entertainer on earth is **** scared in case his audience gets bored for five minutes hearing a song they dont know or cant dance to and drifts off to the bars or merchandise stalls never to return.

Its a bizarre audience demographic he appears to be trying to reach in recent years - ie, people who will pay $500 or even a thousand dollars for a concert ticket but who dont care for the band's music enough to spend $10 on a CD. He's quite happy pandering to an audience that wont 'test' them beyond wanting to hear a selective smattering of greatest hits.

As a concert, its still top notch entertainment and the band are playing better than they have done for over a decade - but artistically, its a waste.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    pablorkcz, MRamble, Rocco and 2 others like this.
  25. Gazza63

Gazza63 Forum Resident

There's hope for mankind yet. Either that, or they just fancied playing it so much that they rigged the vote.

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.