Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome vinyl or cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btltez, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just got Cd and it sounds boisterous and loud. Can't crank it. Love the music though. Wonder why this was done like this? Listening to it just keeping it at an acceptable level.

Maybe the stones wanted that loud distorted blues vinyl sound on cd, Just sayin...

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Yes, the CD is loud but pleasing sounding in my opinion. Miles better compared with A Bigger Bang. That is a no go CD for my taste: compressed in a terrible way.

3. Yes they did want it. Is was their choice, but not a very good choice imho.

Jam757 and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hear ya, when listening to this cd I pictured and old 50's 60's phonograph with two shelf type speakers blasting the loud distorted vinyl of the day. Love the effect just wish the stones and engineers didn't use this effect. I don't mind it, it's just a minor irritant.
    Great album will be requiring vinyl soon. Will have Blue on tonight as well at a low volume, Ahhhhhhhhhhh it's New Years eve I got a crank it up besides it da stones.

5. The vinyl is slightly better but still has that bloated sound. Makes me not want to pull it off the shelf much when there is so many better sounding stones records to play.

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Yeah I hear ya. Wish A Bigger Bang would get a remaster treatment.
    How does the Bang vinyl sound, I heard it was better sounding not as harsh.

7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Oh you are right about that one. A proper release would be very cool, and I know I'd buy it. I keep rotating between Stripped and Blue and Lonesome. I can't believe it took me all this time to hear Stripped! Fantastic performance from the boys.

8. thegroovyguru

thegroovyguru Forum Resident

You've nailed it. Having now heard both, I completely agree.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  9. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Dude. Nice rig!

Turntable likes this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

It would be so damn cool if they went back with an all analog mastering of that and reissued it. It's ok to dream!

11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That I think is exactly what happens to me with records with questionable mastering. They don't get played a lot. The recent Tom Petty and Stones mono sets are keeping me mighty busy! Also got the Kinks mono and Faces sets on the way. It' gonna be hard to make time for Blue and Lonesome although I did just get the ITunes version for the car.

12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Stripped is a real fun Stones album in my opinion. I really like the small club setting of that one. Actually may be one of my favorite live Stones performances.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and rstamberg like this.
  13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

:laugh: How many time has this same argument about modern releases--concisely summed up in your statement there--played itself out over countless threads? I've been on both sides of the fence myself. Often, it just seems to come down to how much fans want to enjoy the new album, audiophile concerns be damned. It's a very subjective thing, as ever.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  14. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I thought it sounded just as bad, but on vinyl.
    I also had to sift through probably 25 copies to find one that didn't have non fill, warps or other defects.
    This was back when I worked in a record store and was able to be fussy, but I couldn't believe how bad the copies we had were.

Not sure hoe the 2009 box set version compares.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  15. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

No card in the sleeve? UK version has option of WAV or MP3 downloads. Not that it's much use to me; couldn't get passed the second track of the digital version (not including the time I fell asleep listening on headphones). On vinyl it makes more sense in a perverse kind of way, enough to be enjoyable anyway.

16. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Little Rain fades too early, I could do with at least another 3 minutes of that ****!

bonus, RogerB and mick_sh like this.
  17. I just got this album (Universal/Polydor Thailand CD in a jewel case! I hate digipaks) and it is a nice gem. Yes, the sound is overdriven and compressed, but the music is really great.

18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Imagine if The Rolling Stones Now was released now.

Fifty plus pages of complaints, I have no doubt.

Such a wasted opportunity, ruined by sub-par sound quality and questionable mastering decisions. I can't even make myself listen to it.

fmfxray373, stetsonic, AJK74 and 2 others like this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

I was one that complained about the sound quality of Blue. I'm just happy the Stones released a new album albeit covers.

adm62 likes this.
  20. Now sounds better than Blues though. .

Steel City likes this.
  21. Psychedelic Good Trip

22. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

It's the Stones on top form. How can there be any negatives?

ffracer, Carserguev, mick_sh and 2 others like this.
  23. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Just heard the the album (on vinyl) for the first time today. Absolutely loved this record. Yes, I have a few qualms, but it really feels like nitpicking given that the Stones just bestowed us a kick-ass, all-blues album this holiday season.

I also read how they were struggling a bit with their original material in the studio and put out this covers album instead. Honestly, if the Stones wish to just finish out their career with blues-covers albums every couple years, I'd be totally happy with that. Maybe throw in 1 or 2 original compositions on each record. Why not? They have nothing left to prove, and they are clearly one of the best blues bands in the world.

Anyhow, I adore this record. Can't wait to hear it many more times in the coming weeks.

RogerB, mick_sh and Jam757 like this.
  24. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Couldn't agree more! I am really hoping this isn't the last all-blues album they do.

mick_sh and Jam757 like this.
  25. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I agree!! And I would love an all acoustic blues album! Love the boys sittin around with acoustic guitars!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.