Rolling Stones - Brussels Affair 1973 - What's the story ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dhreview16, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

It is a safe position, now it can only be found at prices close to $ 100 up to $ 130 on average. I bought it for $ 87.68 plus the shipping costs. I do not think I'll make another purchase for those ranges in a long time ...

Jam757 likes this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not when they are thinking of a later edition "The Complete Brussels Recordings" in high-rez in another 5 or 6 years.

BlueGangsta and Jam757 like this.
  3. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I'd like it more if they hadn't played the songs so fast.

sekaer and Mark Wilson like this.
  4. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I bought that on google when it came out, I made myself a nice cd cover for it. They should definitely re-release that again, it's a great performance but I still like the 1969 Stones live the best.

bonus likes this.
  5. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

A minority opinion for sure, but for me, this is where Taylor's excessive soloing upsets the balance that made the Stones so great. I'd argue that both "Goats Head Soup" and this recording were the first hints that the Stones best days were behind them.

Bowland, bonus, duggan and 3 others like this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Join the party:
    The Rolling Stones- Goat's Head Soup song-by-song discussion!

7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

So did I! I loved it, everyone I played it for loved it, and some years later someone who came to one of my parties loved it so much they stole it.

Midnight Rambler is just phenomenal on that recording. Apparently Christian radio at the time thought they sounded possessed on that one -- a friend of mine told me a Christian radio show played a section of Midnight Rambler from Brussels Affair to demonstrate their theory.

I got the vinyl/CD/download package when it was released. To my mind, I had to. Had been waiting forever (since that King Biscuit show in '74) for an official release.

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I fixed a delicious adult beverage and brought out a little of Colorado's finest export then put LP #1 on the turntable and let the concert begin. Holy cow, what a treat. I had high, so to speak, expectations but this from the vault release is just amazing. I became a Stones fan the first time I heard Satisfaction on my AM radio back in 65 and have loved the Jones and Woody years but have always been partial to the Mick Taylor years and for me personally this concert is one that I will come back to often.

9. Zack

Zack Senior Member

This one was my prized possession during the 1980s. Two cuts were flown in from London. Heartbreaker was one I remember. Paid $25 in cash, no receipt (heh heh heh).

Fun fact: they played Brussels and not Paris on that tour because there was an outstanding arrest warrant for Keith in France.

[​IMG]

10. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

That show was unbelievable from start to finish, says my 16 year old self!

mdm08033, RogerB and John Fell like this.
  11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I grabbed that set when it came out, great performance obviously but the sound is not of the forum approved variety. It is a bit on the"loud" side. :D
    I ain't selling mine though even though I do have the excellent bootleg listed above.

melstapler, four sticks and John Fell like this.
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

FTFY

13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I prefer that mastering to the download one. Louder, but suits the performance just fine.

danielbravo likes this.
  14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Not possible.

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't heard this CD release but I think that the vinyl sound quality is really good.

16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Whilst I don't have a problem with 99.9 of his playing on Brussels, that counter riff he does on the "Honky Tonk Woman" really bugs me.
    It takes away all of the impact of the main intro riff. Other than that, play on Mr. Taylor!

ohnothimagen likes this.
  17. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Anybody else remember reading in Hot Wax where Jagger allegedly said that 'Bedspring Symphony' (which was from the KBFH broadcast) was his favorite unauthorized recording?

melstapler likes this.
  18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

This is essential reading for anyone who enjoys these shows:

Bedspring Symphony - Brussels 1973 - Brussels Affair

19. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

ohnothimagen and John Fell like this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Can you please elaborate on this for me? What are you talking about?

21. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

They were going to release a double LP live album from their 72 tour with a couple of tracks with Stevie Wonder who was the opening act. Cover art had been completed and the music magazines had announced that it would be coming. Apparently, Allen Klein owned some of the older songs and wanted a lot of money for them to appear on the album so the Stones shelved the project.

andrewskyDE and supermd like this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Wow. Interesting. Is there a tracklist floating around? I wonder if we'll eventually get a release of this. The Vault releases make anything possible.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This is an approximation of the set.

Brown Sugar - Philadelphia, July 20, 1972

Bitch - Philadelphia, July 20, 1972

Gimme Shelter - Philadelphia, July 20, 1972

Tumbling Dice - Philadelphia, July 20, 1972

Sweet Virginia - Philadelphia, July 21, 1972 1st Show

You Can't Always Get What You Want - Houston, June 25, 1972 1st Show

All Down The Line - Philadelphia, July 20, 1972

Bye Bye Johnny - Philadelphia, July 20, 1972

Rip This Joint - Philadelphia, July 20, 1972

Uptight-Satisfaction - Philadelphia, July 20, 1972

Some versions have added extra bonus tracks tracks. See below

[​IMG]

Since Allen Klein owned the rights to the earlier material, they could not re-record versions of the tracks for a period of 7 years per their agreement. The only tracks they would have been able to use were live versions of the tracks from Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street, so the project was scrapped.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  24. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

If a master exists, then there's no reason that it shouldn't be released now. Especially since RSR and ABKCO are now both owned by Universal.

25. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

It's disappointing that the only official live document of the 72 Tour is Ladies And Gentlemen because the audio never sounded that good. The shelved live album had better recordings mostly from Fort Worth and Philadelphia. Not quite in Brussels territory but close enough.

John Fell and OldSoul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.