Rolling Stones "Clearly Classic" vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlienRendel, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thevinylguy

thevinylguy Forum Resident

I'll use this thread to check something about the 12 X 5 1986 "Digitally
    Remastered" PS 402 vinyl reissue. Was that reissue a stereo or mono ?
    I have this sealed, but there's no mention of it on the cover....

2. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I don't have this, but from reading previous comments, it seems that the new 12x5 is a mono fold-down that sounds great.

3. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

I like the recreation of the "Big Hits Vol 2" original jacket, but it's approx 13" across both directions. Traditional PE replacement sleeves won't fit it. :cussing:
    I had to save the original PE wrap, which has a perforated tear-off, for storage.
    Unfortunately the fit isn't as snug as I would prefer, and doesn't cover the top portion of the jacket.

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It's been my understanding that the Chicago tracks were always folds. There never were dedicated mono mixes from the Chess Studios sessions.

All of the other tracks were mono-only to start with... am I right?

5. thevinylguy

I'm not talking about the new clear vinyl reissue. I'm talking about the 1986 vinyl
    reissue. catalog number: 01877174021, "PS 402" "Digitally Remastered From Original Master Recording. 100% Virgin Vinyl".

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Folddown mono. The only place I'm aware of where the stereo tracks were in true stereo before the 2003 SACD is an 80s (?) UK reissue of the 5x5 EP (which doesn't mention stereo).

7. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Cannot recall at the moment but were the true stereo Chess tracks ever issued on LP or CD?

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

See the post above yours.

9. thevinylguy

OK, got it, thanX man. So, with the new clear vinyl arriving at my way with
    what I'm sure will be a better Digital to Analog transfer to vinyl, I guess there's
    no reason not to sell that 86 vinyl reissue...Lucky I still have it sealed....

10. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

"It's All Over Now" popped up in true stereo in a few places. I have it on a Decca UK reissue 45, and on a UK K-tel comp called The Story Of The Stones. I think it was on the West German More Hot Rocks CD too, but I'm not sure.

11. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yes.

12. James_S888

French reissue of the Decca catalogue from 1978. On vinyl.
    The only place. The guy who did the reissue series was a former Decca Paris executive who someone got access to the actual original tapes.
    Easy to find the Chess stuff in stereo on CD. Lotsa Bootlegs about.

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FWIW unfortunately that 86 reissue isn't uncommon. I'd say at least 1 or 2 a week show up on ebay. Most probably aren't sealed though.

14. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

After playing the current clear 12X5 and finding it's mono (which sounds great) I searched and found a vinyl of the 2002-3 issue. It's exactly the same mono version, I thought it might have the stereos like the SACD. Nope ...:shake:

15. MikeyP

MikeyP Forum Resident

Do you know the catalog number of this release? I don't see a release in Discogs that coordinates with this date/country.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There was a 2002-2003 issue? My memory is that they skipped this one with the initial DSD mastered vinyl releases and that's why there were high hopes and expectations for this new one.

And FWIW they were released in 2004.

17. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Missed that one, thanks.
    I need more coffee/sleep.

18. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yup ... It was issued with all the others which I have slowly been collecting. I also have the 78 French version which sounds fabulous.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No worries. I probably posted it while you were writing yours. I wasn't trying to be a wisea$$; I was just in a hurry and typing on my phone.

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  21. James_S888

Do you mean the 1978 French version of "Around and Around"? Or Rolling Stones No. 2?

22. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Let my search begin......

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If you're looking for the UK reissue EP, you need to know the matrix numbers. IIRC, there is no other identifier. I'm not home right now so I can't provide them. But if you do a search, you'll probably find them. However, when I was trying to track one down, I seem to recall that the vast, vast majority of the reissue EP's did NOT have the stereo matrices.

24. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Would the SACD of 12x5 contain the true stereo Chess tracks or did I misunderstand?

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yes it does.

celticbob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.