Rolling Stones-Exile On Main Street-Best Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shpongle, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Having been a little disappointed with the Sticky Fingers vinyl reissue, I decided, with the advice of people in various forums, to buy the Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP) Platinum SHM-CD from cdJapan. (My CD player will not play SACDs) I'm assuming the quality is pretty much the same?

I'm now looking to buy Exile On Main Street but once again, the vinyl reissue has been panned quite heavily here....I see that that is also available in Platinum SHM-CD so would I be right in assuming that once again, this is a fabulous version to get?

Ideally, I'd prefer vinyl but mint copies are hard to come by and as I say, these CDs get great reviews here.

Any help would be appreciated and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.....I did look but could not find a definitive answer.

Thanks

marcfeld69 and bhs00 like this.
  2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Whether or not you decide to get the vinyl, I urge you to grab the Platinum SHM-CD disc as well.

3. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many thanks......as I said....a great vinyl pressing would be ideal, but seems they are hard to come by and vary quite a lot.

Def seems the vinyl reissue of EOMS was poorly received, hence me looking at CDs for this release.

Once again, appreciate your advice. Gonna order that CD now!

Exile On My Street likes this.
  4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

By the way, the Platinum is the same exact mastering as the SACD. Enjoy!

Shvartze Shabbos and marcfeld69 like this.
  5. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Another vote for the platinum. I had the 1994 Virgin and the Deluxe remaster, but the Pt is far and away the best. Analog sounding with excellent range and image.

Nightfly68, stef1205, Sean and 3 others like this.
  6. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

Despite that ugly drop out on Sweet Virginia, I prefer the CBS cd

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

... And it is ugly!

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Artisan vinyl

Aleksander86, timnor, KipB and 21 others like this.
  9. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

Yeah, but there's something I don't like in all the virgin cd's...they sound weird to me...and I've never heard the LP's, unfortunately

TonyCzar and Dave like this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Absolutely.

11. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Original pressings always have their appeal, but Atlantic Records pressing plants (or the plants they used) churned-out a lot of crappy-sounding vinyl in the early-70's. I remember taking Sticky Fingers back to the shop a couple of times, but eventually gave up. More than 40-years later I still remember the frustration I experienced trying to get a somewhat clean pressing of King Crimson's Red... they were all pressed on recycled vinyl with chunks of paper labels embedded in the grooves.

Exile was probably better and the LP sides were relatively short, which helps, but I don't remember my original pressing sounding particularly good. Unfortunately it was stolen one night when I was deejaying (we all need our pee breaks). I regret the loss more for the jacket and postcards than the original grooves.

12. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Lots of people will lend their support for the Artisan mastered vinyl coming out of the Monarch pressing plant (MO), which seems to have had the best sounding/cleanest pressings in this period for the Atlantic catalog. There were also some labeled CSM (Santa Maria) as well (to be found after the catalog number). Earliest label variations have the DIST BY ATCO/B'WAY in bold along the rim of the label, but those seem tough to find as that was at the very beginning of the pressing run before they switched labels and addresses (I think). This is based on memory from an earlier thread that you may want to seek out.

Rega p6, Izozeles, marcfeld69 and 3 others like this.
  13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Got the Exile Bluray on Friday, and I have to say it sounds incredible. I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I read on a few forums that it's the same master as the SACD. I wouldn't be surprised as the sound is just so great. I highly recommend.

14. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Either the Canadian Kinney or a clean Artisan cut Monarch pressing will likely make you happy. Despite popular legend that Exile is a murky album, that will not be the case with either of these pressings. The trick is finding a quiet US pressing. I have literally a dozen copies of this and they sound fantastic, but none of them play dead quiet. On the other hand, the Canadian Kinney I have is super quiet and packs a major wallop. It's pretty well regarded here too.

marcfeld69, ndoheny, KeninDC and 2 others like this.
  15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The mastering used on the SHM SACD(SHM Platinum) is it!
    Better than any vinyl copy I've heard.

16. sami

sami Mono still rules

Another vote for the Artisan Monarch vinyl. Very tough to find a clean copy, but even with a bit of noise it's the best way to listen to this music IMO. This album was meant to be heard as four sides, not one continuous play like the digital versions.

17. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

SHM platinum for Exile all the way.

18. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

How about the non Platinum SHM-CD? Same mastering as well?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    fmfxray373 and marcfeld69 like this.
  19. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

20. bodine

bodine Senior Member

I go with the Virgin.

21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ditto on the 4x Artisan vinyl. even with some surface noise, i'll take it.

LitHum05, JFSebastion and Clanceman like this.
  22. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

Dennis Metz and Jerry Horne like this.
  23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

That Canadian Kinney 1st pressing is a killer.

24. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Vinyl - Canadian Kinney or Monarch artisan one are best according to the experts. I only have a US RSR and 2010 180g.

CD - SHM Platinum CD. The Virgins are good too but the SHM just sounds clearer and cleaner. Virgin sounds a tiny bit muffled by comparison. CBS is good too aside from weird sound issue on Sweet Virginia.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Lucky for me it's my least favorite song on the record. I posted elsewhere yesterday that I played it (I have the Japan 23DP) in my car that day and man oh man is that disc crankable!