Rolling Stones Flat Transfers incorrect Tempo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ripthisjoint, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

So, everything's lower in pitch? Maybe that's why they're calling it a flat transfer?
    ;)

2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I don't see any difference on my 2014 SHM-SACD versions of Sticky thru Dirty.

3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I'm not technically adept, but that looks like a 1.1 second difference over a track that runs 5:15, or about 1/5 of a second per minute. And the Virgin and the Universal aren't in sync either. Someone should compare it to an original vinyl. Of course, lots of original vinyl runs too fast/slow.

I'm going to wait for you guys to figure this out, as I need to listen to The Joshua Tree box and a few other items.
    But I'm interested in the results.

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yeah, the difference on the flat transfer is not more than a few cents... nowhere near a semitone (or even a quartertone?) short of concert pitch. For those of us without the ability/curse to hear with perfect pitch it only becomes apparent when comparing side by side in a DAW... except where there is tape drag/warble on those few introductions that have it.

5. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I gotta say that I'm currently listening to the Tattoo You SACD and it just sounds so smooooooth that I don't think I can really get upset about this. In principal I find it bothersome but listening to it, it's a great sounding disc.

mbrownp1, Dave Hoos and RogerB like this.
  6. Ripthisjoint

Ripthisjoint Active Member Thread Starter

It's probably true that many people do not notice it if they don't do a direct comparison - and that's maybe why I haven't seen it mentioned here before.
    But if you do notice it, it is simply annoing. Exile On My Street wrote earlier in this thread: "I think I've noticed the difference prior but simply felt that the flat transfer possibly 'sounded' like it was at a slightly slower tempo than the Virgins"
    And I think you feel it if you listened to that record a lot, even if you don't have the absolute pitch. Somehow the feeling of the high-frequency transients is different, somehow a bit smoother in a way that doesn't just sound like a different EQ.

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Maybe I missed it but... are we just assuming that the SACD is not running at true speed? It's entirely possible that all the other versions are incorrect or otherwise messed with somehow right! Beggars Banquet is a prime example...

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Well the OP claims to have perfect pitch, so I assume he is not assuming anything :) (Edit: unless you mean artistic intent, rather than what a C should sound like.)

9. I would be most curious to hear how this compares to the First edition of this on CD as well as the Ludwig. I would imagine if there was tape drag on it or it was played back at the wrong speed Ludwig would have caught it and corrected it.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    jackinbox and vudicus like this.
  10. Ripthisjoint

The original CBS CD has no such tape drags, also the Virgin remastered by Ludwig and the Universal have a constant correct pitch/tempo

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Every transfer of an analog tape is at a slightly different speed. This seems like a non-event to me.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

"Rocks Off" is a great track so why complain if it goes on a little longer? :p

13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

14. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

as someone who has compared numerous masters over the last few years (in my case Bowie, but of course the artist doesn't affect the results), i don't think i've found a single instance where different masters run in sync. in some cases the difference is significantly bigger that the Exile one being discussed. not saying it doesn't matter, just that it's prevalent and thus not "fair" to single out this particular set of issues. for those of us without perfect pitch it won't be a problem and shouldn't spark a backlash against these otherwise stellar releases.

nb: "happy" to admit i don't hear the pitch difference in the samples. it would have to be a lot more significant than that for me.

15. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Ripthisjoint likes this.
  16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Not me. Don't trust the "golden ears" on this forum. I've seen them make fools of themselves too many times.

On the other hand, perhaps your ears are hearing slow.

17. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

It might help if you add your system to your profile so people can understand what you are listening to.

18. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Great find and thanks for your insight about the flat transfer cd's . I'm shocked that it took this long for this to be discovered given so many forum members raving about these flat transfer cd's. I was considering purchasing a few of these cd's but I will stick with my virgin cd's.

Ripthisjoint likes this.
  19. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

What difference does it make?

The OP posted samples.

Can you hear a difference?

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I recently bought the 2011 SHM-SACD release of Exile On Main St. I rate it right up there with my Artisan vinyl.

Dave Hoos and marcb like this.
  21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

At least it wasn't a sharp transfer. :cool:

Dave Hoos, goodiesguy and dee like this.
  22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Yeah are we sure they didn't in substance goose the old version up to concert pitch and leave this one with more velvety sound?

hutlock likes this.
  23. Ripthisjoint

Yeah, first on is the Virgin. I prefer the sound of the Flat Transfer, but the with the wrong pitch it's not fun for me to listen to it.

24. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Because you are supposed to. You should to. Especially when talking about sound quality.

25. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

So can you hear a difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.