Rolling Stones- Goats Head Soup SHM-SACD Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shawn, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

My mistake I forgot the Bigger Bang Box Set wasn't sacd.:)

2. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I just got mine yesterday. Listened to it three times...

:)

I am likely in the minority, this is one of my favorite Stones Albums. I think the recording is very good, I am also in the minority in that as well likely.

I won't go into detail but I think overall this is one of the better SHM-SCADs that I have gotten. I like the sound of it better than Sticky Fingers!

Suffice it to say that this disc is full of that "Magic". Huge bubble of sound coming from the speakers, it paints a picture across the front of the room. Goosebumps galore. Great imaging and dynamics, very transparent, I feel like I am listening to the mastertape.

10 thumbs up!

oopap likes this.
  3. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Have lived this for a week, this is another good SACD in my opinion, although hardly an audiophile recording. As has been mentioned (also in the Japanese liner notes) quite a bit more bass which I assumed was rolled off on the original CD (using the LP master?).

4. I received the SHM-SACD today, and have done some brief comparisons with the original CBS CD. I think the SHM-SACD sounds really nice. Some have commented with regards to bass on the SHM-SACD, but to me the bigger difference is in the upper frequencies (treble).

The original CD sounds a little bright in direct comparison, the SHM-SACD sounds more natural and smoother to me.

I can really recommend this SHM-SACD, sounds nice to me.

dee likes this.
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The SHM-SACD is the best-sounding version of GOATS HEAD SOUP there is. It's wonderful.

dee likes this.
  6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Nice to hear...

my copy is in my postbox..... must wait to my return from WA ;)

7. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Gettin this + Emotional Rescue this afternoon....can't wait to check it out tonight, I'll report back on both.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Got mine today. Really have to agree with all the positive reviews. Love my original vinyl and will continue to play it but there is something here that is another league all together. This series has been so great and for me worth the cost. Almost like hearing these classics for the first time.

dee likes this.
  9. Sander

Sander Senior Member

+1 :righton: So far I've got Sticky Fingers, It's Only Rock n' Roll, Love You Live and Tattoo You.

I've just ordered a copy of Goats Head Soup and will report back after I've had a chance to listen.

10. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Can't find my first CD edition of "Goats Head Soup", but this SHM-SACD outdone it by large.
    This transfer equals the transfer of Sticky Fingers = you hears deep, deep into the masters. :)

11. Agree with that statement :righton:

And the brass in Heartbreaker never sounded better, like the horn section was playing in my living room . . .

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have to say that Goats Head Soup is another winner SHM-SACD.

dee likes this.
  13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

I can beat that... "Angie" is my fave Stones song.
    EDweird?!?!
    1st (60's) was "Paint it Black, 2nd (early 70's) was "Bitch", 3rd (late 70's) was "Miss You", 4th (80's) was "Midnight Rider" (Hot Rocks), & (90's) "Angie".
    I was a fan of "GHS" from the get go!!!
    "Whiskey & Coke" (NOT: "Coca-Cola") sound was/is perfect for me.
    Even tho that's not my scene at all.
    "Star Star"?!?! Come on!!! How could a R&R not LUV that.

Yeah, some of those songs just sound CRUNCHY!!!
    I just pickED up CDCBS 450207 2 (German) cause I'm itching was waiting for the SA-CD.
    1st track ("Dw/Mr.D" was I've always LUV) was brittle; however, nothin like when I got too "SS" (which is is semi appropriate!!!).
    Luckily the 'soft' songs sound dreaming good ("CYSTM").

14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

15. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

Weighing up buying this sacd- any more recent reviews?

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Free Bird

Free Bird Member

I've ordered it about a week ago and it's on its way now, although I chose the cheapest shipping option. I'll write you a review when it gets here.

17. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

One of my fave ever Stones records. I hear it as a continuation of Exile transplanted to a studio - I think they recorded this in a studio in Jamaica, could be wrong (not that its a reggae alb). I have all the abkco SACDs, but this was the first of the SHM-SACD Stones I got. I only have a couple dozen of the SHM-SACDs so far, I would rate this as a real good one. It has depth. What a great record, anyway if you are on the fence it is very nice. My previous goto was the Virgin CD one in the big jewel case/slip thing, but this is better.

dee likes this.
  18. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Get it, along with the rest of the Stones SHM- SACD

rstamberg and Groggy like this.
  19. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

This arrived this morning and couldn't wait to open it. I think it's a great album and "Angie" is one of the best songs ever recorded. I have to say this blew me away. I've heard this album on cd in three or four different versions and, like the SHM- SACD of "Sticky Fingers" this takes the Rolling Stones to a whole new level. The vocals, the musicality... amazing. Buy this now.

20. Free Bird

Free Bird Member

My copy arrived yesterday and I've listened to it twice now, plus some individiual songs and fragments. I have to say that the album has a somewhat peculiar sound, but this is old news and well-known. I was actually pleasantly suprised by the sonics of some of the songs, especially Angie (which I don't really care for, to be honest) and Can You Hear the Music (which I do like). So, if you like the album, you'll probably like the SHM-SACD (this is becoming something of a recurring theme). Of course, it doesn't sound as good as some of their other albums and many of the mixes are kind of crappy, but all in all I'm pretty satisfied.

21. joethomas1

Added to my Stones SHM-SACD collection of SF, SG, TY, B&B, with this last week. It just arrived and I'm playing it now, will post when I have formed some impressions...

22. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

It is quite miraculous how much clearer this song is! I was coming here to post this exactly, when I saw your post. This may sound over used, but I'm going to say it.....It's like I'm hearing this song for the very first time!

23. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Buy it!

24. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Oops, I see now you already did.

25. joethomas1

Well. I don't think this is as good sounding as the other SHM SACD titles I have bought. The sound is not very clean. I realise that these are direct transfers from the original masters but, compared with the 94' Virgin CD, the sound is less clear, and muffled in places. Again I realise that the original recording isn't great. Seems like the high end has been boosted by some EQ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.