Rolling Stones- Goats Head Soup SHM-SACD Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Shawn, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

My Pleasure. Sometimes it works going a couple of pages into a google search! :goodie:
    Funny if other Hoffman Stones fans sells them out!
    Let us know how it goes.
    the beave

JRM likes this.
  2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

No go. Again.

"Thanks for ordering from Birdland. I'm affraid we are out of stock of 'Goats Head Soup' SHM SACD. We have it on re-order but it's out of print so we may not see it again unless they find a hidden box at the wharehouse. This is the case with all the SHM SACD's. They sadly disappear very quickly."

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Thought it was too good to be true!

4. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

See this is the kind of thread I get when I use the search to find out about The Stones SHM cds. Where is the review on sound?

5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The Virgin cds are the best for the 70's and 80's output.

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Not too many have the SHM-CD's. The SACD's are as good as or better than my first press UK vinyl. They will be rereleased in November (scheduled) at reduced prices, so try your favorite title and make your own decision.

John Grimes likes this.
  7. The Beave

Hey John.
    I had the SACD's of the 'Classic' Tongue catalog:
    Exile
    GHSoup
    IORR
    BB
    SG
    Tattoo You
    And now I have those all on Platinum Shm CD's.
    They all sound much better than most older issues and marginally better than the Bob Ludwig Remasters Which sound just a bit compressed and with a bit more treble on the top end. It's not night and day, but the extra dynamic range of the SHM transfers makes them that much closer to 'being there' in the studio listening to the tapes. And their very crank-able without listening fatigue.
    But don't expect Audiophile recording quality like Steely Dan or Dire Straits. But they do have more sonic 'mojo' than all other issues. But then again, there are those who find the old CBS issues better, so it's still a matter of personal preference.
    the beave

8. John Grimes

Thanks Beave.

9. The Beave

My Pleasure John.
    the beave

John Grimes likes this.
  10. John Grimes

I finally ordered the SHM Platinum cd of Goats Head Soup and I love it. It sounds very natural on the cymbals and I can hear background vocals and effects I've never heard previously. Wow, I'm impressed.

BIG ED likes this.
  11. old school

old school Senior Member

I have Sticky Fingers, Exile, Goats Head Soup and Some Girls on the Platinum SHM. They are the best sounding discs much more dynamic then the 1994 Virgins!
    I don't have the SHM SACD but the Platinum discs have the same mastering. Very pleased with my Platinums!

BIG ED, John Fell and John Grimes like this.
  12. John Grimes

I really like Black And Blue and Undercover. Should I get those on Platinum too? I like the CBS cds for Both titles as well as the Virgin cds. But I give the edge to CBS.

BIG ED likes this.
  13. The Beave

I don't have Undercover but BnB is probably the best sounding technically. Just flat out audiophile treat!
    Congrats John.
    the beave

BIG ED and John Grimes like this.
  14. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Undercover will pin you to the wall.
    Grab it!!

BIG ED and John Grimes like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

I missed the 2011 pressing of this SHM-SACD, so have ordered the recent reissue. However, according a to a guy on SACD.net, these reissues have been tweaked and now sound more trebly and digital.. Is this true? I just assumed that the re-releases were the same disc in a jewel case. Surely there's no need to fiddle with a 2011 master is there? Hopefully the guy was wrong, but does anyone have any comments on how the 2014 SACD of this (or any of the Stones titles) sound? Thanks.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The information from cdjapan says the re-releases have the same mastering as the first run.

17. Bobby Morrow

Yeah, that's what I thought. This bloke who reviewed them on SACD.net seemed to think they'd been altered. Perhaps it's just him!

18. jmacvols

jmacvols Forum Resident

"
    The guy goes by 'analogue' and in his review of Goats Head Soup he posted:

"I was extremely let down by this Shm Sacd reissue. I will get to the reason shortly. I was, like most fans of Shm Sacd;s extremely happy when a reissue program was announced of the first wave of these awesome discs. There were several titles I simply could not get at the time. I ordered five rock sacds and couldn't wait to hear them. That was until I hit play that is. Like most music buyers I was most chagrined that the out of print sacds were going for huge prices.......now I could get them at a bonus price. Some things are to good to be true....For reasons unknown the original Dsd transfers were tinkered with and basically ruined. Treble and compression are clearly evident on all five sacd's I ordered and I find this unacceptable and downright unfair. Its very difficult to sit through this disc from start to finish."
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/7423#10895

From what he posted above, he seems to indicate that he did NOT have the original issue of GHS. So how could he make a comparison between the original issue and the reissue?

But in another post, "analogue" says:

"I've listened to my 5 new shm sacds over and over again and I have no doubt Universal Japan screwed us. All I need do is listen to my first generation Shm Sacds and then put in my new sacds......the difference is startling. What the heck were they thinking?? That we wouldn't figure it out??? They should be ashamed of themselves for doing such a disservice to the loyal fans. And with regards to Shm Sacds I have koo koo for Coco puffs about therm."
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread.php?page=3

Now "analogue" seems to be saying he DOES have the original issue of GHS to compare to the reissue.

Now just recently "analogue" does a review of the shm-sacd reissue of Style Council's Café Bleu. "Analogue" posts:

"Musically I was not aware of this band and decided to take a chance...... This reissue has to be cranked rather loud with nary any of the aforementioned nasties present. But then I could detect a decrease in actual resolution.........as if the original transfer was redone but using pcm technology in the mix to down convert the higher bit rate.....THESE ARE NOT THE ORIGINAL DSD TRANFERS........THEY HAVE BEEN CHEAPENED AND TAMPERED WITH.
    Not recommended...buy the regular cd
    ."
    http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/6843#10897

It seems "analogue" says he does not have the original issue of Café Bleu but then how can he compare the reissue with the original which he does not have and claim changes were made?

I thought about buying a few more of these shm-sacd reissues but what this "analogue" guy has posted concerned me enough not to buy any more but now I am not sure this guy is correct is what he is posting.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Thanks for that. I would have thought had the recent batch of reissued SHM-SACDs been tampered with there'd have been a big outcry by now. Still, my copy of GHS arrived yesterday so I'll give it a listen soon.

Clanceman likes this.
  20. John Grimes

Is anyone talking about my platinum cd of Goats Head Soup? If so, I wanna know about it.

21. Groggy

Groggy Forum Resident

John, I have both the Platinum and the SACD of Goats Head Soup and whilst the Platinum is very clear, I do tend to agree with the other guys comment of being a bit too trebly and digital sounding. The sacd captures a bit more warmth in my opinion.....

BIG ED likes this.
  22. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Cd Japan stated these SHM sacd are reissues based on the 2011 remasters. I will be furious if they're not, I just ordered 4 titles!
    Goats Head Soup, IORR, Black and Blue and Tattoo You.
    I got Exile, Sticky Fingers and Some Girls in the first round and was so impressed I wanted to pick some others up.

SpudOz likes this.
  23. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Have you had a chance to listen yet? I'm keen to hear your report!

24. Bobby Morrow

I haven't yet. I'm not expecting a sonic marvel with the GHS SACD as I don't think it was recorded especially well to begin with. Plus, the only thing I have to compare it with is the 2009 SHM-CD. It's got to be better than that!

jumpinjulian likes this.
  25. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Similarly, I ordered the three titles between Sticky Fingers and Tattoo You that I didn't order the first time around: Goats Head Soup, IORR and Black & Blue. I too will be furious if they are not based on the 2011 remasters.

jumpinjulian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.