Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. booker

booker Forum Resident

Wow. I just compared The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man from Stray Cats and DSD2003 UK Out Of Our Heads and noticed big difference in speed. Stay Cats version is 3:17 while UK DSD OOOH is 3:08. On Stray Cats there there is 'Single Version' added to the title but to me this is the same version only slower than on UK OOOH. But it is not a single version. Single version is 3:20 long same speed as on UK OOH and indeed has longer outro. I happen to have 4LP The Singles Collection - London Years [ABKCO Records ‎820 900-1] and there you have real SP version. Stray Cats version is shorter LP version but plays slower. I wonder why they did such thing. Why would they name it SP version put regular LP version only with altered slow speed for new release?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, this is the actual single version, albeit at a slower speed. The version with an extended fade is a modern remix.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

4. booker

booker Forum Resident

I just found on the net that the longer version with added lyrics at the end was on the early pressings of Out Of Our Heads and was also included on the 1985 compilation Rolling Stones Singles Collection - The London Years

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's from 1989, and as noted above, that's a modern remix, not the original 45 mix. The 45 fades at exactly the same point as the edited LP version.

6. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

It has been already discussed in this thread that the uncensored Under Assistant was released on US Satisfaction single and so far there has been no signs of it appearing on any version of OOOH. And the same goes for the 1989 remix with its longer running time, already discussed.

7. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Luke keep up all your good work.

Other than being a completist, Do we really need the 45 version?

8. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

What is the Hot Rocks secret remaster?

Where can I find more info on it?

Thanks!

TonyCzar likes this.
  9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

@lukpac kicks ass - if ya can keep up with him. Lol!

He's been my "go to" on all Stones content: mixes, tracks, etc, etc.....for many many years.

I've been listening to, then collecting all the music & various versions since about 1975. Years ago, when I read....err studied his now famous breakdown & comparison piece (there's a link around here somewhere, I printed the guide many moons ago) of prior cd versions vs the 2002 sacds, I started to learn about what the hell I was listening to & what was what. :righton:

A friggin scholar, the man is.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Hep Alien, peter, goodiesguy and 10 others like this.
  10. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

I think that is the only version needed. The song goes in basic 12 bar blues structure, and when those few lines are removed it breaks the 12 bar chord structure and it sounds really bad to me. Unfortunately the Stray Cats has the song running too slow. What I did was speed correcting the track and I inserted it to the OOOH playlist in the place of the edited one. I don't think I want to hear the edited version ever again.

11. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

I prefer the 1989 alternate, extended, uncensored mix.
    It has Brian´s harmonica and Mick´s vocals more prominent, which I think fits the track better.

Hep Alien and uncle AK like this.
  12. pernod

pernod Forum Resident

Me too, the mono mix without the edit on the mono box has added reverb, most noticeable during Brian's harmonica solo around 1:15. The alternate longer unedited mix sounds much nicer.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  13. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

Well, as long as it's the unedited one, I'm happy.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I prefer the longer fade of the 1989 mix, but there's something to be said about the original mix. *Personally*, I'd say the odd one out is the edited LP version; it just sounds like a hack job to me.

I don't have time to get into the details right now, but the first ABKCO Hot Rocks CD used the Regent version of TIOMS, while a later version was issued with the Chess version. I'm still doing comparisons, but it would appear that the first version was (mostly?) compiled from the other original ABKCO CDs, while the later version used new mastering from Singles Collection.

Hep Alien, TonyCzar and alchemy like this.
  15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have also listened to the US version of Out Of Our Heads and it was as good as the US Aftermath. I hope to play at least one more from the box set this weekend.

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They don't sound as good as the 1964 recordings as well.

17. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

Could somebody who did comparisons please tell me which version is the one to get (LPs, CDs or Hi-Res)
    concerning sound quality/authenticity?

Or is one better off looking for originals?

Thank you!

18. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I don't believe Luke does it for praise. It's a thankless job, and I don't have the time to go through the stuff with a fine tooth comb. He knows his stuff, and thanks to him, I always know what to listen for and what to expect. He's also pretty great and smart with his knowledge of The Who and Cream.

They might have been mixed at RCA, but don't quote me on that.

19. Years and years ago when I first came to this forum, it was lukpac's absolutely comprehensive knowledge of the Stones that got me to stick around.

20. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Okay, just to confirm.

The album version and the single version are in the mono box, but the single version runs slow.

The other addition is the remixed long version which was first released in the 1989 Singles Collection.

Correct?

Hep Alien and uncle AK like this.
  21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Yeah, Luke's knowledge was a big factor in hooking me too. all that stuff I have from the Stones started to make sense.

Tommyboy and uncle AK like this.
  22. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

huge Thank You to Luke!!!
    You might want to publish

23. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Yes.
    And the remix is only in the 1989 Singles Collection, nowhere else.

Hep Alien, lukpac and Adam9 like this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

25. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident