Rolling Stones - Recommended CD versions as of 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tripecac, May 17, 2017.

1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Steve did not comment on Exile, I don't think he likes the album. He did say that the Sticky Fingers would be his preferred digital version with some added eq, as he believed it was an accurate representation of the master tape.

2. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Can someone post waveforms of the Exile SACD alongside the other versions (Virgin and CBS). Thanks.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I could, but 1) I'm not home and 2) even if I was, I'm not inclined to take the time to convert the DSD file to PCM.

But the DRs are in line with other non-compressed versions. And as I said, it sounds very, very similar to the original vinyl.

4. Propinquity

No one said you have to be the one to do the conversion or that it needs to be done right away. What non-compressed versions have your been comparing?

My ears aren't telling me the same story as yours. I think either of the older CD versions are preferable to the SACD with regards to dynamics and crankability. And I can't say for sure that the Virgin isn't compressed, only that it sounds less compressed than the SACD.

5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The SACD isn't compressed. It is a flat transfer.

6. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Exactly. It sounds crap because of a lack of mastering. It's good if you're planning on cranking the s**t out of it, or making your own remaster. For general listening, I always reach for the Virgins.

7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The Virgins are a good alternative in most cases. I prefer the Virgin Some Girls, for example. I disagree that Exile sounds like crap on the SACD.

8. Propinquity

Doesn't the term "flat transfer" have more to do with EQ moves than it does with compression or limiting? I agree that the EQ on the SACD sounds more or less unfutzed with.

Does everyone here agree that the SACD breathes? Maybe my copy is defective...

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don't know this for a fact but IMO it's not a flat transfer of the master tape. It's my belief it's a flat transfer of a UK cutting master. I've explained my reasons why in another thread somewhere.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think you may be confusing EQ differences with dynamics.

11. Propinquity

No confusion there whatsoever. The SACD has no headroom. Doesn't breathe. It comes on strong and doesn't go anywhere.

12. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

so, my Blu-ray PA 2012/13 Promotone B.V. Universal sucks compared to <insert>?

13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If you don't like it, fine. But you're confused about something if you think it's compressed. As I wrote, the DR numbers are in line with virtually every non-compressed digital release. And DR of 11 isn't super dynamic, but it's fairly dynamic.

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't think you understand what a flat transfer is.

stef1205 likes this.
  15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I remember that thread. Regardless, I would not call it compressed, or say that it lacks headroom.

John Grimes and TonyCzar like this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I have that release, but have not listened to it in some time. I believe it uses the same mastering as the SHM SACD. It does NOT use the 2009 Universal mastering.

17. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

My wacky way to enjoy exile is a playlist played as files or burned to CD. Every track except for Sweet Virginia is from the common CBS American CD. I used the Sweet Virginia from my 1994 remaster to avoid the wack levels. This soulutiin should cost you less than $20.

18. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

The SACD is not digitally compressed, but you could say the EQ (or lack thereof) makes it sound less dynamic.

19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I have the Japanese No.2 but was always worried it was a counterfeit. I have checked it and it does appear genuine. Why was it only issued in Japan? I also have the first cd of the debut album made in Germany I think. I now keep all the Stones stuff I buy save a couple of the 2009s which I have in their respective boxes (SF, Exlie, SGs).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

There is a vinyl box I have from only a few years back that has all the post Sticky Fingers albums on vinyl up to A Bigger Bang. There is also a box around the same time with the Abkco albums on vinyl. No 3D cover for Satanic though.

Christopher B likes this.
  21. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I think you need to check before you post....

Not everyone here lives in America, you know.

All those SACDs have shipping to the UK that is actually more than the price of the disc itself, making each disc almost £30 each.

So my point stands - the SACDs are now too expensive.

22. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

ABKCO has done a couple of things that did not make sense, but No. 2 was early on in the cd age omitted.
    It didn't appear in the European 'London Records' campaign, which featured both UK and US releases, nor did it appear in the two reissue campaigns by ABKCO in 1986 and 2002. No reason was ever given anywhere. However, as you said, the Japanese arm of London Records, released both No. 2 and the european editions of Big Hits, all in 1987. None of them are sonic wonders, though. Thankfully, it appears ABKCO has reconsidered it all, as all UK and US albums and compilations have now been re-released in some kind of form, during the last seven years.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Unfortunately, the Sticky through A Bigger Bang vinyl box, was using the 2009 remasters.
    It was a good deal better with the ABKCO vinyl box (going for BIG money today), as it featured all original UK albums, the two UK Big Hits compilations, the 2 original UK studio EP's, plus Metamorphosis. Unfortunately, some of the cover art was quite badly reproduced.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  24. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Same rules still apply.

danielbravo likes this.
  25. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

They're off-pitch and mastered at the wrong speed. Don't believe the hype. I have them all through Undercover. What a waste of $$.

hi_watt likes this.