Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Incorrect, Bill's Snoring DOES appear on the single, just not on every single issued.
    I am betting that it was originally included until somebody changed their mind and it quickly got the chop.
    Any takers on other theories?
    Perhaps Tim can ell us for how many years this single was kept in print or reissued?

2. All Down The Line

I heard that the reason was that it was the closest thing on the record to a ballad.
    I am not 100% sure but I also seem to recall that uncle Allen favoured it too!

3. All Down The Line

I have this and I know it is a keyboard in the background but I must also think it is an odd ho hum sleeve as whenever I glance at it I think it is (of all things) an ironing board!

4. All Down The Line

Aka Rock City too i believe.
    If you like these clips also huntdown the film: Popcorn an audio visual thing by Peter Clifton.
    He later directed the Zep film, The Song Remains The Same and in 1966 filmed the Stones in Australia and in 1967 the Easy Beats (including Glyn Johns at Olympic studios) in London.

5. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

It's All Over Now: I think someone in this thread mentioned there was a London 2:28 edited version out there. Not true. It's a misprint. The label says 2:28 (which is the running time of the flip side, Good Times Bad Times), but the A-side runs at 3:20, as it should.
    The Rolling Stones - It's All Over Now

All Down The Line and lukpac like this.
  6. All Down The Line

Allen Klein thought it the closest thing on the lp to a ballad.

7. All Down The Line

Nice story and great to hear you have lots of Stones releases. Little St Albans with the Big church eh, my cousin emigrated there years ago from WA.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Source?

9. All Down The Line

Are you sure of the order of release of these SMR singles, I am not sure the release dates in Bill's Rolling With The Stones are correct.
    Also is Rainbow's cat n.o. one lower or have i gotten this back to front?

10. All Down The Line

In one of the 100+ Stones books i have that i have read. Do you want me to guesstimate which one?

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'd like more information, because I can't find anything to suggest that Klein was picking singles.

Mosthaf likes this.
  12. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got the release dates for this thread from a combination of Wikipedia and 45cat. I didn't source beyond that, just did my best. As for catalog numbers, sorry I have no idea. I just love the music. I don't collect the singles. :)

13. All Down The Line

Would have liked to send you all those picks from my collection Parachute Woman but i am technologically if not vinyl(y) challenged.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

Leave it with me though i cannot provide a time frame to go through all those books with an infant and disabled child in tow.

15. All Down The Line

Tim pointed this out too but suggests Bill's single was rushed out as an afterthought first. If so massively unusual to see s latter catalogue number release come out before an earlier number. That's what always did my head in as i have never heard of such an occurrence.

16. All Down The Line

John you picked the Cream as they are the best 6 late 67' Stones cuts hands down!
    But.......i absolutely need the rest too!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    John Fell likes this.
  17. All Down The Line

Yes a sensational picture sleeve along with the similar Mexican ep and Promo Jukebox US ep though all releases are different trackwise.
    'Rainbow (JJF & Waiting on a friend) were my late mother's favorite Stones songs and i echo many posters here about Nicky Hopkins' stunning contribution & note the dark and sinister touches surrounding the baroque beauty and flowery cheer of the song.
    2,000 light years from home has always been a major favorite of mine. I was about 14 when i got into it and found it very visual even before i discovered the video a couple of years later in Rock City aka Superstars in concert on VHS running back to back with JJF just as they did later in the 25 x 5 Doco.
    It was genuinely creepy with a great feeling of space's absolute isolation as you move further out and must wonder if you can ever make it back home.

lightbulb and Manapua like this.
  18. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

With all due respect to Billboard as a leading trade magazine: they are not immune to mistakes, and what they write is not official.
    The Rolling Stones 45x45s box set has Too Tough as the A-side, with this comment in the booklet: " 'Too Tough' was also a single from the album [Undercover], with 'Miss You' as the reverse." This may be open to dispute, but it is official.

19. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

It may be "official," but it's wrong.

No source is perfect, but when in doubt, I try to look at what was happening at the time. In addition to the Billboard review I quoted, the fact that the promo 45s consist of "Miss You" on both sides is a very strong indicator that it was the intended A-side. No promo copies of "Too Tough" exist.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  20. nickde

nickde Forum Resident

Quote from Bill German's Beggars Banquet Vol.2 #3.

"...Rolling Stones prexy in New York, Art Collins finally decided on a release of Miss You backed with 1983's Too Tough."

Sean and All Down The Line like this.
  21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Sooo... Jumpin’ Jack Flash now??

Love to read this. What happened?

22. All Down The Line

I thought there were 1984 singles of Miss You/Too Tough and if you found one it was likely to be a promo as a stock copy would be even rarer.

23. Mosthaf

Mosthaf Forum Resident

tim_neely is right: the promo has only Miss You on it (both sides), so if you want Too Tough, it would have to be a stock copy (never seen one, anywhere). With the official release virtually non existent, the discussion what the A-side was is somehow academic.

Sean, All Down The Line and Aftermath like this.
  24. All Down The Line

Can anyone confirm the existence promo or stock?

25. All Down The Line

Yes i remember that in BB and have chased one for 34 years.......cat number then cancelled?
    If this was a Rewind promotional tool we still had Brown sugar /Bitch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.