Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" 2015 Polydor vinyl record edition: sound reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Jun 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

Yes, we already have another thread about that, but it's totally derailed to other topics and it is very difficult to get an idea about the sound quality.

So: some considerations about sound quality? who mastered this reissue? where it was pressed?
    Thanks

john lennonist and conjotter like this.
  2. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Pressed in the Czech Republic, so I would guess at GZ Media
    Can anyone confirm?
    Do they use the laser etched runout numbering that is on SF?

Whistlerskibum likes this.
  3. Stefano G.

I think that this reissue has the same 2009 re-mastering: therefore either Stephen Marcussen or Bob Ludwig mastered this vinyl version.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The copies I saw locally (single LP version) all had a "Made in France" sticker, so not GZ.

Stefano G. likes this.
  5. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I have the 2LP edition, haven't listened to it yet, but as the unfortunate owner of the 2013(?) 1971-2005 vinyl box I can confirm that the new Sticky Fingers is not the same pressing. It's not "gz.vinyl.com", it has different matrices, etc.

I hate doing sound comparisons, but I went ahead and played the opening to Brown Sugar on both. The version from the box sounds exactly like what it is: the 2009 CD pressed to vinyl. When the song kicks in after the opening riff everything is compressed and pushed to the front.

The new version is quieter, and I don't hear the compression like I do on the box set version. So something is definitely different, which I don't get at all since it's supposed to be the 2009 remaster. Maybe I'm fooling myself but after that quick A/B I'd say the new vinyl is a big improvement.

Rickchick and Stefano G. like this.
  6. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

S
    Damn- I just bought the 1971-2005 lp box set. What do you see as the issue with these- all compressed and just copies of the cd?

Thinking about buying the 2lp Sticky Fingers so looking forward to more reviews.

7. botley

botley Forum Resident

The Deluxe CD is a clone of the 2009 remaster, the iTunes and vinyl versions are apparently from the same source but with less compression applied.

8. Randu

Randu Senior Member

So they split up the work - 2-lp @ GZ Czcch; and single lp in France... probably MPO?

9. Stefano G.

Currently operating in France are the following pressing plants:

MAGNETIC MASTERING - Aix-en-Provence

MPO GROUP - Averton

OFFICIAL.FM VINYL - Septfontaines

10. Randu

Randu Senior Member

A/B ing the new 2-CD with the 2-lp right now - So very different

The CD is much louder to begin with... have to turn up the vinyl 10db to match it
    CD is brighter & harsher than the vinyl, especially noticeable in Micks vocals, so much warmer and real sounding on the vinyl... makes the CD sound like it's coming of of an old car radio by comparison (BTW, it's playing in an OPPO BDP -83 and they are both going thru the same Yamaha RX-V673)
    Guitar stabs out of the CD while laying in the mix on vinyl.

These are in no way cc's of the same mastering

Vinyl is on a modded AT-120 with 440MLa cart & Schiit Mani preamp

11. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

I agree. The 2 disc vinyl version is a much different and better listening experience than the CD. Not compressed at all but still nice stereo separation and clean sound. Not sure if it's AAA but it sounds very near that. At least if it's not AAA then it sounds pretty darn good for a digital mastering. Though I like some of the newer vinyl mastered from digital if it's done well.

Simon A and Stefano G. like this.
  12. Randu

Randu Senior Member

These two are too small for this kind of run

13. Randu

Randu Senior Member

BTW, these comments are regarding Disc 1 vs Disc 1
    Just getting on to Disc 2 A/B now...

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

My 1 lp made in France copy got nothing but numbers and an a or b in the runout. Are the french known for quality work?

15. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

They're good with grapes. :whistle:

16. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

It all depends on your stereo and your hearing. I also had the box. But, for example Sticky Fingers, it wasn't even a minute into the song and listening on headphones I had to take it off the turntable, the 'brick walled' distorted sound literally made it unlistenable, even on vinyl.
    Now others might like the effect that that kind of compression has. But it's a muddy recording to begin with, add a lot of compression and it-to my ears-just made it sound like loud distortion. Same thing on Goats head Soup, on 100 years ago, when Billy Preston comes on towards the end the same thing happened, just distorted mush. So after that I was able to turn the box over for $375, and that $ in turn went to buy the Japanese SACD's and Platinum issues. I'd love to find an extraordinary vinyl issue because I much prefer spinning the vinyl, but I've got a UK first pressing, a Japanese Toshiba first pressing, a CBS regular weight pressing-yes with the massive 10db level drop in 'Sweet Virginia', and and and, well that's it.
    What I find very interesting though about Exile On Main Street is that there are at least TWO engineers (greg calbi being one) who claimed to have heard the ORIGINAL TWO TRACK MIXDOWN MASTER TAPES, and said the fidelity was lousy and all over the place. SO........a mystery here wrapped up in a enigma, From it's release, Exile has 'it's' sound and has never drastically changed over the decades of releases. The Japanese SACD/Platinums were taken from the UK mastertapes in a 'flat transfer', yet Exile's signature sound is the exact same as it's always been, which leads me to ask........'where is the real Master Tape' to Exile?????? If they've been using an 'equalized' final production master tape to make all the worldwide Exiles over the past 40 years, then the 'lousy' sounding 'REAL' master tape has never surfaced. Either that or, Calbi and the other person's recollections are wrong. But we know from the Japanese 'Flat Transfers' that those, pretty certain, DO come from 'Master Tapes'. The Japanese SACD/Platinum issue of Sticky Fingers is the only issues in the world
    that do NOT have the 'tape dropout' in the left channel at the 2:19 time mark of 'You Gotta Move' . Every other issue of SF that I've heard has had this drop out, which means that the SF we've all heard whether it's on cassette, LP, cd, reel to reel, have be from a higher generation 'production' or safety copy. Even the Mobile Fidelity 1/2 speed vinyl comes from this 'other' tape. So that in essence makes the Japanese 'Flat Transfer' cd/sacd's even more valuable to us collectors as we'll probably never see this kind of pressing again.
    the beave

SinnerSaint, 2141, vonwegen and 5 others like this.
  17. botley

botley Forum Resident

Very informative, but not much to do with the 2015 reissue...

I am interested to know if the 2015 vinyl gives the Platinum/SHM-SACD a run for its money. The drop-out beave mentioned is still there I presume.

18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

With so many copies of SF's made back in the heyday of analog, why in the world would you shell out for a cd pressed to vinyl? With the advent of Ebay and Discogs it's not terribly difficult to get at the very least a decent, all analog, copy for not much.

ThomasL, Linto, mooseman and 2 others like this.
  19. The Beave

Well I'm waiting on the Target single disc so that will be awhile for me. But it's still interesting that we're here on the Hoffman forum and we have such little concrete information on the pedigree of this vinyl pressing. Like who mastered it?????? That would be nice to find out, or is it some 'nobody' somewhere in the world and they handed him the tape and said, 'your mastering the new edition of Sticky Fingers for the world, have fun'. :wtf:
    In this age of 'information' we have very little and that bothers me quite frankly.
    And frankly, don't call me shirley.
    the beave
    Listening to the Plat of SF as I type this and guess what songs playing.........
    You Gotta Move....
    well, alright sugarplum.......

Rochdale3 and Dave Hoos like this.
  20. Stefano G.

Indeed, it seems that this 2015 reissue has many mysterious sides; I'm ready to bet that this edition was mastered by Marcussen but how can we be sure about that?

21. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

In a word. No.

22. The Beave

Don't know. And also how about all the Eagle Rock 'From The Vault' vinyl. Their all incredible sounding heavy weight pressings but there is NO information on them whatsoever. The LA Forum vinyl is wonderful to listen to, so is the Muddy/Checkerboard lounge lp's. I'd advise any Stones vinyl collector to snag these before they dry up. Amazon USA already has run out of the LA Forum 3LP set and it's up to $68 and last week it was $99 from 3rd party sellers.
    the beave

George Blair likes this.
  23. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Thanks "The Beave". I sent my LP back & ordered the Japanese SACD on folks recommendation on the Sticky Fingers pages. Reading this post gives me peace of mind, that I did the right thing.

ODShowtime and Shpongle like this.
  24. Because most of those old copies are very well played and worn.

DeRosa and Simon A like this.
  25. Stefano G.

It's true; but vinyl records pressed by MPO can be identified by the hand etched "MPO" etching in the runouts. This 2015 reissue doesn't have that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.