Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Amazon says Thursday but DHL say Friday

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It doesn't take 24 hours to copy files off of a hard drive.

3. obi

obi Forum Resident

Why are you telling me this?

apple-richard likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's like the old man who goes to confession and says "Father, last night I met three 18 year old girls and I went to bed with all of them". And the priest says "Hey, you're not a very good Catholic". The old man says "I'm not a Catholic", and the priest says "Why are you telling me this?" "I'M TELLIN' EVERYONE!"

5. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Don't you know that Pot is like......Legal in a lot of States now???????
    beave

6. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Well, I've made it through the first four rekkids so far. Very pleased with the sound and the presentation until Goats Head Soup. The last three songs on Side 1 have terrible non-fill. Sad part about that is I love Heartbreaker and Angie. Why couldn't it have been on Side 2, which is flawless by the way. I'm ready to go back to the days when records were 120-140 grams. The heck with this heavyweight crap.

Micke Lindahl and robtodd like this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Listening to Exile (comparing to 1841 Monarch). This really isn’t close. The Monarch just kills it. The dynamics have been overly tamed. Additionally, the EQ choices are real headscratchers. Torn and Frayed, for example, Charlie’s bass drum is literally non-existent compared to the original. Actually, nearly all the bass is gone from that track. What was once a very live, dynamic sounding track, now sounds completely neutered.
    I really don’t like the way this came out at all. Sorry...I’m really not hearing any benefit to the 1/2 speed mastering.

8. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

What does non-fill sound like?

superstar19 likes this.
  9. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

A big disappointment is the exclusion of Jamming with Edward for the sole purpose of protecting Exile from the Sticky Fingers zipper.

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I just turned SF the other way around and that seemed to do the trick.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s not a question of system and room. The 1/2 speed (which - as a matter of fact - was sourced from the 2010 digital production master) took an entirely different approach to both the EQ and dynamic compression than the original Artisan approach.

I’m not making a value judgement in this statement (although I do have one). But if one doesn’t hear these differences, they are not very discerning and/or their system is quite unresolving.

JP Christian and Tommyboy like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I was going to purchase this latest box set; however, I played my Artisan, and that was that. More than happy with my originals.

Myke likes this.
  13. For those who received the download card, is the alternate mix of 'Mixed Emotions' on the download too? I assume it is, but it would be nice to know definitively.

And for those keeping score, my box arrived (Amazon US) and no download card included either. No surprise there.

14. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Thanks. Think I might do that!

15. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

You’re the expert! This matter is solved forevermore.

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why would you assume it is the alternate mix? Aren’t the downloads just the existing digital masterings?

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It has nothing to do with expertise. Those are the facts. There was nothing to “solve”.

mpayan likes this.
  18. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Ok, your facts are duly noted. For those who do think ears, room and system are mitigating factors in perceiving the sonic complexion of a given recording, I think we can leave just the shadow of doubt that your facts are sometimes also called opinions. On a personal note, I really get disappointed every time these discussions devolve into absolute “right” and “wrong.”

OptimisticGoat and btltez like this.
  19. I have no idea, which is why I’m asking. I haven’t seen it mentioned that Steel Wheels is an existing mastering digitally.

lukpac likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It’s not a nuanced difference. Honestly, for better or worse, they are about as far apart tonally and dynamically as any two masterings of that recording.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Anybody want to post samples of the new and the/some previous mastering(s) of Sticky Fingers?

22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Which songs are different mixes ? Sorry if it’s been answered already.

23. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Again, your opinion is duly noted. I do believe this is what you hear on your system and I respect that. I just don’t agree everyone hears what you hear. Also, I’m not sure if you read my original comment: I think the earlier half speed sounds more like my two Artisan pressings than the current half speed. I did not say they were identical in sound however.

24. People are reporting mix differences in Mixed Emotions and Rock and a Hard Place on the new box set's Steel Wheels LP.

Carl80 likes this.
  25. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

If anybody has already slogged thought the whole box, has any title(s) struck you as exceedingly good or poor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.