Rolling Stones Studio Albums 1971-2016 Vinyl Box Coming June 15th*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by aphexj, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, I am buying it, for a few reasons. The biggest reason is I’ve been a collector since I was a kid, and this is a really beautiful item. As a collector, there’s this mentality. The same reason I have picture sleeves of Beatles Capitol 45’s I’ll never play. As a collector, I also worry if it will go up in price later, making me envious later of those that bought it (that’s just the way collectors think). At $179.00 plus $17.95 shopped to Japan, I couldn’t resist.

Another reason is the use of the DSD files prepared by FX mastering is interesting, as I liked the way some of the titles sounded on SACD (can’t remember, but I think Undercover and Emotional Rescue sounded good to me, so I’m kind of curious. Also, while I have most of the titles, not all are in great condition. I can’t remember everything, but I know I don’t have the red cellophane on Dirty Work and my Bridges to Babylon is not in great shape.

Jam757, Musician95616 and vinylbeat like this.
  2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I didn't say it wasn’t possible. Just unlikely.

obi likes this.
  3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats non-fill.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Oh 179$...enough said!

MRamble and Terry like this.
  5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I've got all those in perfect condition, though.

My West German/GEMA GHS is just the KILL

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

It isn't $179 now.

7. telepicker97

****, no, it's not.

It's the price of bond for a possession charge in Missouri.

8. telepicker97

Yeah, I heard about that.

Too bad shrooms are still a felony in all 50 :disgust::cop:

9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

One time in high school the gang ate some shrooms at someone's parents house and we were going through their record collection. We pulled out Some Girls and people were DYING. A few people actually died from laughing. It was tragic. I felt proud since I owned the album and no one else had ever seen or heard of it. I wanted to play Shattered but no one could figure out how to make the record player work.

This thread got me excited for Some Girls so I went out and pretty easily found a mint original cover Monarch copy. Man it sounds awesome! Some Girls honestly has one of the funniest album covers ever made. I still laugh out loud sometimes and I have a VERY dark and dry sense of humor.

George Blair, aphexj and Jack like this.
  10. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

#3134 in the house ($179 Amazon price).

Needless to say, there is no download card but I’m covered by my ‘94 Virgin CDs for digital listening.

The only post-60s Stones that I’ve ever owned on vinyl were an original Sticky Fingers, “Miss You” 12-inch sungle, and Dirty Work so I feel like this is a great value for my money.

Goldy and jon9091 like this.
  11. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Rock 'n' Goal!

12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If Miles told the Stones to find another engineer, he would be putting his job on the line.

Flaming Torch and marcb like this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

While I respect your opinion, I tend to agree with @marcb. The tonality of the Artisan pressed version of Exile and the half speed master that uses the 2010 transfer are quite different.

14. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Just received my box that I ordered last Thursday from Music Direct. I got #87!! I'm pretty excited about the low number.

15. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Ok, but I said the 2010 reminded me more of my Artisan copies than the 2018 — on my system, in my room. Not sure how this discussion got so off the rails but hopefully this will clarify what I had said as mostly offhand comment regarding my first impression of the 2018 half speed.

marcb likes this.
  16. telepicker97

The only thing that even compares to my Artisan promo Exile is the Japanese SHM-SACD.

And I'm a "vinyl guy".

marcb, mick_sh and rollo5 like this.
  17. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

The Artisan was done the right way, succeeding in what a mastering process should achieve: to improve the sound of the master tapes fixing the intrinsic issues from the “unmastered” master tape. That’s why the flat transfer SHM-SACD sounds similar in tonality.

What happened later? I’m not sure but it’s really funny that a quite bright sounding recording became the epitome of “murky”.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Come again? If the Artisan fixed issues with the master tapes, why would a flat transfer of said master tapes sound similar?

19. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

In tonality I said.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My question remains.

21. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Then I don’t understand your question, unless you want to argue. I find quite difficult to believe that you think that a mastering always change tonalities.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If it doesn't, it isn't clear to me what was "fixed".

mpayan and rollo5 like this.
  23. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for posting those samples. The 2018 doesn't sound bad, not bad at all. Much better than I was expecting.

On initial listen I gave the nod to the UK. It just seemed a little more open and I could hear the crack of the snare (and the air around it) a little better. This is a little lost on the 2018 at the expense of the bass guitar now being slightly more prominent.

However, as I listened repeatedly back and forth between the samples, I actually liked how the 2018 sounded from about the 30 sec mark onward. I really felt enveloped by the instrumentation on the left and right of the stereo spectrum of the 2018 (it really felt like a build up). In comparison, the UK had a more homogeneous presentation from start to finish.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just different mastering presentations.

In terms of transparency (as in closer to the master tape), I couldn't detect much difference. If anything, I thought the 2018 sounded ever so slightly more transparent & closer to the master. Of course, this is all IMO as I have no idea what the actual master sounds like.

I know it's only one track, and things like this are very much equipment dependent, but I'm anxiously awaiting for my (full price) box to arrive :)

MRamble, Goldy and OldSoul like this.
  24. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Appears like Music Direct got one of the first batches. All the low numbers I’ve seen thus far have been ordered through MD.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

My theory for some time has been that the SHM-SACD is a flat transfer of a cutting master sent to the UK (aka the UK analogue master).

I agree with whoever it was above that said the Artisan LP and the SACD sound very similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.