Rolling Yo La Tengo Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GuidedByJonO))), Dec 20, 2017.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I hope they never do, about the cover, or the sequencing, the music, or anything else. I like being able to take and accept(or not) it for whatever it is. I feel that way with all music. Leave it a mystery.
    Just my viewpoint, of course.

Oh, I adore this album. One of their very best, imo.

dustybooks and Guy E like this.
  2. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Agreed. The title speaks for itself... YLT's response might best be summed-up by their cover version of Our Little Corner of the World.

The back cover photo of the CD has Ira and Georgia out of focus with James pulling-up the rear, in-focus... I told Ira that I thought the photo was a visual expression of James' contributions to the album; editing and assembling the tracks, doing all the detailed tech work. Ira seemed rather startled by that interpretation. :laugh:

We music fans often overthink these things. YLT follow their muse. The album was recorded in their rehearsal studio... the end result may have surprised them more than it surprises us.

Oyster Boy, dustybooks and sberger like this.
  3. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

You’re quite right. But often I do find their thoughts illuminating when they feel up to delving in a bit.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well, well, well, when I interviewed them in 2006 they were extremely nice and eager to answer questions. It's a matter of asking.

I just don't know why anyone would ask about the new artwork.:biglaugh:

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

They're nice folks. But why they, or any artist, need to address what their intentions were when creating their art, or what it all means, is mystifying to me. For me it goes back to the 60's when the straight press needed so badly to understand what Dylan's lyrics meant, and the answers he would give them. Like asking Picasso or Pollock what does it all mean?

linclink likes this.
  6. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Right. Fans get much more out of their personal interpretations than they would if everything was explained by the artist. There's nothing coy about it, not to my thinking.

linclink likes this.
  7. ivor

ivor Senior Member

This is old news I guess, but the last night of the tour they skipped the two-set structure and let loose with some unique covers, wish I had been there! Setlist here: ylt, 2018

Also, they did Here You Are on Song Exploder... haven't listened yet, but it's in the queue now:
    Episode 138: Yo La Tengo

zakyfarms, linclink and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

9. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for posting this! I saw the announcement on Twitter earlier this week and meant to bump this thread for it, but I quickly forgot (or maybe my subconscious suppressed it since I'm jealous that I can't go!).

linclink likes this.
  10. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I saw Yo La Tengo at End Of The Road festival a few weeks ago. A great show. The setlist

• You Are Here
    • Stockholm Syndrome
    • Ashes
    • For You Too
    • Shades of Blue
    • False Alarm
    • I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Hank Williams cover)
    • I'll Be Around
    • From a Motel 6
    • Cherry Chapstick
    • Autumn Sweater
    • Ohm
    • Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind

I really enjoyed the show. So much so I'd like to buy some albums by them. If you could recommend just 3 what would they be ?
    Thanks

11. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Saw that Summer Sun was finally reissued of Vinyl. Glad I didn't buy a copy two weeks ago for $50!

elsanto and dustybooks like this.
  12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
    Painful
    I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass

timnor, uzn007, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  13. Stari Vrag

Stari Vrag Well-Known Member

Been enjoying these guys for years, they seem to defy time and fashion, always finding a great groove as well as being smart and fun, but this latest album 'There's a Riot Going On' is really subdued. Giving it some time and multiple listens....

linclink and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  14. dustybooks

Good catch! I didn’t see any kind of announcement for this at all. In fact my original copy is one of the records I put in a safe place when we evacuated for the hurricane last week! I wonder if Matador re-presses the first three albums next; President and New Wave Hot Dogs seem to be missing from their site altogether.

15. 1- "I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One"
    2- "Electr-O-Pura"
    3- "Painful"

**Cheating... this is a truly great comp!
    Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs: 1985–2003 - Wikipedia

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  16. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Okay YLT nerds...see if anyone knows this. The album Electr-O-Pura has these interesting subtitles for each song. Apparently, they were lifted from an obscure book about the band The Blues Project. Anyone know what book this was?

linclink likes this.
  17. GuidedByJonO)))

For those of you in NYC, it appears Bowery Ballroom has released a few tickets for the Hanukkah run! Do it! At least so I can live vicariously through you!

Bowery Ballroom on Twitter

Anybody heard anything about taping this year? I know last year they were surprisingly hard-nosed about no taping.

linclink and uzn007 like this.
  18. JoeRockhead

more tickets released. saturday just sold out again but tix avalaible for the other 7 nights

Bowery Ballroom

edit: whoops, didn't see it was already posted

19. dustybooks

Last night the Strangeloves reunited at YLT's show!

So far other guests have included the Blind Boys of Alabama, Graham Nash (!), Sun Ra's Arkestra and Jon Langford.

20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Dayum.

21. JoeRockhead

was at the show last night, Strangeloves were incredible! Figured something big was up for the encore as o one joined them for the main set. Also went Sunday night for the Graham Nash appearance!

Crispy Rob, ivor, linclink and 2 others like this.
  22. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

If anyone wants a link to audio of any of the 1st three nights, PM me.

23. JoeRockhead

La La Brooks of the Crystals one of the guests tonight (not there, friend just posted a pic).

linclink and ivor like this.
  24. dustybooks

25. GuidedByJonO)))

Oh man, someday I'll be in the area and able to go to one of these. Ira, Georgia and James should just be enshrined in the gol-durned Smithsonian at this point.

linclink, zakyfarms and ivor like this.