Roman Polanski's "Repulsion" on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spillville, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spillville

spillville New Member Thread Starter

Anyone here familiar with the 2003 EPI (Entertainment Programs International) DVD release of this film? How would you rate the quality of the transfer?
    I bought it tonight (the price was right), but the more I look at the package...the more suspicious I become. I'm not that concerned about the lack of extras, but don't want to get stuck with this release if it's of seriously poor quality.
    Thanks in advance for your advice. I'll keep it sealed & hang on to my receipt 'til I hear from you!

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

Never seen a DVD release of this film - though I have to admit to not really looking for one. Nevertheless, it's one of my all-time favorite films and one that's not often shown.

Are there any other versions now available aside from the EPI?

3. spillville

Hi Ray,
    One of my favorites as well. It's one I almost always look for when dvd shopping.
    From what I could gather from my limited research on the web, it been issued on dvd twice in the U.S. The only comment I could find was something to the effect that both are "a fuzzy mess." But I hate to base my decision on only one person's opinion.
    The one I bought last night was only $10.99 with my Borders coupon. I like the poster-reproduction cover, but the rest of the cover text smacks of, well, BOOTLEG. (Not that this means it is automatically of terrible quality transfer-wise.) But there is no info on format & the text is a pretty cheesy read.
    There are a few European & Asian releases, with many bonus features, that are said to be of very good quality. If I remember correctly, there's a recent release in the UK on Anchor Bay that's supposed to be among the best available. But, of course, it won't play on U.S. dvd players.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Anyone else out there with an opinion on my purchase? If it's a dog, I'd like to return it today.
    Bob

4. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

My Dad has a copy...I don't know who put it out and I've never seen it but I do know the title is mispelled as "REPLUSION" on the case edge so if that's any indication of quality....

5. spillville

thanks, pdenny.
    as far as mine is concerned, there is no mis-spelled title anywhere on the case. you're right, though, that WOULD be a dead giveaway.
    the package & design is copyright 2003 and, again, it's epi 2119. company address is: 4872
    topanga canyon blvd in california.
    anyone else familiar with this release?
    bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.