Ronnie James Dio in Black Sabbath

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Because I wish to. It's not always a compliment.

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Rated very well by actual Sabbath fans. Not rated well by Osbourne fans or those wrapped up in nostalgia.

3. SpaceshipEarth

SpaceshipEarth Forum Resident

I rate it every bit as high as Ozzy-era Sabbath. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules blows the doors off of Technical Ecstacy and Never Say Die and Live Evil remains my favorite live Sabbath album to this very day. The cover art for Live Evil ranks with the very best,

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Dehumanizer was is much different than H&H and Mob Rules, but it fit the times. Still a great album. It was wonderful they resurrected the lineup in 2007, they still had something to offer. I love all the iterations of Sabbath and Dio's tenure is right up there.

DrStroganoff and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  5. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

Dio freaking RULED and the sad thing is at first glance I didnt really like Dio Sabbath becuase I was so used to Ozzy that it took me while to like it Then Mob Rules oh Mob Rules what a fine Album with a Killer cover to fit it not one that shall be missed. same with heaven and hell and for awhile I liked heaven and hell and Dehumanizer and The Devil you Know. Then Sadly Dio Passed and looking back at it now I wish I could have seen Dio sabbath Live. and it was all thanks to Mob Rules.
    [​IMG]

6. JosephRose

JosephRose Forum Resident

Dio is the ****ing man, and Dehumanizer may be the best Black Sabbath album.

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I just listened to H&H for the first time in ages, and it has held up extremely well, but there's something about that synthesizer towards the end of "Lonely Is The Word" that sounds very, very familiar. I wonder if Jimmy Page is aware.

Am I hearing things?

John Bliss likes this.
  8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Ronnie was a really amazing guy. Straight shooter, very demanding and didn't like the downhill spout Sabbath fans had for him, and yes the nostalgic ones with Ozzy- HH AND MR cannot be dismissed. They're as important as any Rainbow or Maiden experience.

Sabbath with Ronnie is it's own category.

Opeth likes this.
  9. SpaceshipEarth

SpaceshipEarth Forum Resident

Personally, I was disappointed with Dehumanizer when it came out. I grew to like it more over the years but I still think it is a pretty steep comedown from H&H and MR.

I actually prefer an album like Seventh Star over it.

Purple likes this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

While I certainly favor the Ozzy Years, the Dio Years kicked ass. Seriously, you have Heaven and Hell, an absolute classic, you have Mob Rules, a solid follow up, and even Dehumanizer is pretty good.

11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Mob Rules is where I started with Sabbath top three LP for me saw them on the Dehumanizer tour in DC what an experience 11th row great times

12. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Heaven And Hell is just an awesome album. Perfect, to me. Mob is really cool too. Dehumanizer has some super cool songs. Particularly the lyrics are real cool on this one. I didn't like the whole thing but the stuff i like i listen to A Lot.

Dio had such a strong point of view it overshadows the rest. I have a bunch of songs i dig from him all in a row from all of his endevors and his thing just comes through. Perfection from him, to me, was Heaven and Hell and that first Dio album, just awesome. I just got Dream Evil and it's got some cool songs on it. I remember when Sacred Heart came out, he just lost me, i thought it was phony. I've gone back and chose a few from that i like. And Vivian Cambell is so good on those first Dio albums.

Dehumaniser is a sleeper lots of cool songs hidden in there.

John Bliss and tinnox like this.
  13. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

This is why you should do a thread on the DIO years bud

SpaceshipEarth and Zoot Marimba like this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I will in due time

BluesOvertookMe, 16s and tinnox like this.
  15. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Ronnie James Dio. One of metal's greatest frontmen, along with Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson...my top 3 favorite metal frontmen of all time.

Heaven and Hell is incredible...not every single track is stellar, but those that are top of the line are just epic.

Mob Rules. I love that album too. Some great stuff.

Dehumanizer has some good moments, and Heaven and Hell just sounds like they were tired, but that may just be the product on it. Sounds a lot heavier than the other 3.

I don't really care for any Dio-less Rainbow...I "cut my drinking teeth" with Dio of the '80s, so he's naturally ingrained in my metal heart (I love Accept too btw).

16. 16s

16s Forum Resident

totally agree. they are awesome but they sound a lot like the DIO solo albums to come than Sabbath.

17. Anarseo

Anarseo Forum Resident

everywhere he went, he left his mark: he had a titanic personality
    I always thought that in the song "I" he was talking about himself

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This has been done in the Black Sabbath album by album thread. Not every song was looked at in full detail, but every song was covered.

The Black Sabbath album by album thread (1970-2013) - part2

Heaven and Hell starts here and it goes on from there.

tinnox likes this.
  19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Ozzy personally rates Heaven and Hell highly, though he doesn't consider it "Sabbath".

Evil Strawberry and Zoot Marimba like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

What’s it reminding you of? I’m not getting it.

21. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Sabbath + Dio are like Reese's Peanut Butter cups = two great tatstes that taste great together

22. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

I liked RJD a lot, but . . . put as gently as I can, a little Dio goes a long way for me? :hide:

Consequently, I'm a huge fan of Heaven & Hell, but never really had the urge to explore further. Maybe its time to dig deeper.

23. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Stairway To Heaven-the melody during the guitar solo before "as we wind on down the road". It never struck me before, but this time it jumped right out at me.

I asked before if I was hearing things; maybe I was. YMMV?

GodShifter likes this.
  24. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I wonder if there’s an agenda behind that.:idea:

25. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

It ain't Sabbath but it's ok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.