Roon Labs Software

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by o0OBillO0o, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If you don't have an MQA enabled DAC, and don't have a software decoder, then your DAC will decode it like regular PCM. MQA (the company) claims it will be slightly better than CD quality because of their "deblurring algorithm," but my guess is that it will be slightly lower resolution than Redbook because of MQA's higher noise floor than standard 16/44.1 PCM.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification.

3. No problem. It's confusing. However, I read the Q&A on the Computer Audiophile site and it was pretty enlightening (unlike the fluff piece in the most recent TAS). I am satisfied that MQA does not include a DRM component and even though I remain skeptical of some of their claims, I am keeping an open mind until I actually hear it. I'm actually in the "supporter" camp now--all because the Q&A was pretty transparent, unlike their earlier marketing. I am still a little put off by the marketing blitz and TAS' coverage in particular. It is so full of hyperbole that I think it is actually damaging.

4. ServingTheMusic

I could NOT agree more.

5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I figured I would go here.....

Signed up for Roon a few weeks ago and I think it's the best audio purchase I've made. Already cancelled Deezer Elite and might pull the plug on Apple Music as well. The Roon integration with Tidal is just amazing. I still listen to my library for most stuff. But the ability to bounce to Tidal when necessary is really nice. I also own most of the hi-res players out there (Pure Music, Amara, Bitperfect, and others) and the Roon player is simpler, more stable, and sounds as good as any of them.

Now I'm trying to decide what cpu to put in the den for a player. A player app for the Oppo would be da bomb but not holding my breath for that. I've been using BlueSound and it's been fine, but I like the Roon interface so much better. Anyone tried it with one of the tiny stick computers? Screw it I'm going down to the MS store and getting one. I'll update later!

jonnyeric, Jaap74 and B-Mike like this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If they ever offered a version of this at a normal-ish software price instead of a subscription, I'd be in. It looks awesome. But I've already got Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Apple Music...i'm subscription'd out, especially since Roon (as far as I can tell) still doesn't support multichannel audio.

beowulf likes this.
  7. BayouTiger

I completely understand that! Add in Autodesk, Adobe, Microsoft, and others and it is shocking how much goes out automagically from my account every month. That said, I'm probably enjoying Roon more than nearly any of the others!

8. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Upgraded Audirvana the other day. With Tidal. No more drop outs. Works and sounds great. I tried Roon and it does have great features but it ran like crap. It was certainly frustrating.

9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I'm on day one of my trial, I downloaded and installed as soon as I heard they supported Squeezeboxes as players.

Easy install, plays flawlessly. The UI is like a dream. I'm a goner, I'm sure I will buy the lifetime subscription.

I'm completely blown away by this software... They did a great job.

B-Mike, Jaap74 and BayouTiger like this.
  10. ServingTheMusic

It's great if you have not spent endless hours carefully tagging your library. Otherwise...

11. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Even as a person who has spent ENDLESS hours tagging my library...and i have about 9 TB's of lossless music, i love Roon. It's my go to now.

BayouTiger likes this.
  12. ServingTheMusic

I just don't see how. It overlayed generic junk over all my data..I have carefully tagged Japanese imports, SHM cds, Platinum CDs, SHM SACDs, Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Prod, Audio Fidelity, Deluxe Editions etc etc.

All gone.

13. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Weird. I got none of that. You can go into the settings and change how you want the info displayed; folder title, album title, etc. This SW has been amazing for me. I have iTunes, Audirvana, and JRiver as well, and none come close to the layout that Roon gives me. I have to admit JRiver comes a close 2nd though. I go back and forth with both JRiver & Roon depending on my mood.

14. ServingTheMusic

Ok, folder title must be new, because a few months ago I posted numerous times about folder view and I was scoffed at, abused, and told there was no such feature.."and why would I want folder view" in the most condescending tones.

Thanks for letting me know that feature is there.

If this is the case, it warrants a second look.

EDIT: What about art? Can you have it point to the art embedded in the files?

15. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Here's a screenshot showing how you can change the settings of how you want your Artist/Album Title/Artwork/Song Titles..etc. displayed:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

billnunan and pscreed like this.
  16. ServingTheMusic

Thank you. This was DEF. not a feature during my trial. And it was a Deal Killer.

cgoodwin22 likes this.
  17. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Yeah I'm done. Purchased lifetime, I'll figure out the nuances later. I have almost 10k CDs ripped on the NAS. Running the brains on a spare Mac mini. This software leverages my investment in Squeezeboxes, supports hi res playback on the Touch, and pretty much pays me back for all the time I have spent on curating my digital collection over the years.

If my profile sounds anything like yours, especially if you have sunk $$$ into a Squeezebox ecosystem, I really recommend you take a look into this solution. It is amazing.

18. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

I started my trial in December and that has always been a feature, I love Roon !

19. BayouTiger

Ok, bought one of the little Lenovo sticks from the MS store (2 actually). First one I could not get to boot through the windows setup. I had it powered via USB and likely hosed the startup. Could likely get it going with a real keyboard, might try that before taking it back.

The second one I fired up, loaded Splashtop for remote access, added the DACMagic drivers, and Roon Bridge, and a couple minutes playing Roon on my office stereo. Had To point Roon to the ASIO driver and then great sounding hi-res goodness comes pouring out. Gonna connect the next one to the OPPO and see how it does on the big system.

20. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

How's this worked with your Oppo?
    I'm waiting for Oppo integration. AirPlay is dreadful through ATV to Oppo via HDMI, dropouts and no hirez.
    Forgive my ignorance but what Lenovo device are you using please?
    Thanks.

21. BayouTiger

It's the Lenovo Stick 300 computer. I just set it up to log on automatically and run the Roon Bridge and it plays via USB just like any computer.

Billy Budapest and robtodd like this.
  22. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Quick search on Amazon UK gives me this Lenovo Ideacentre Stick 300 Ultra Small PC (Black) - (Intel Atom Z3735F, 2Gb RAM, 32Gb eMMC, WLAN, BT, Windows 10 Home): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories » which looks to be what you are using. Did you hook yours up with the Oppo? Have you added anything else to the device? Any pointers you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

23. BayouTiger

Thats the one. I just connected it to a monitor and set up Windows not to sleep, and set up Roon to run automatically at startup. I connected it to the USB input on the Oppo. I suppose you could just plug out in to the HDMI input, but I did not try that.

I set it up with Splashtop so I can very simply remote desktop to it from my laptop or iPad.

The only real glitch I have encountered is that when you turn the Oppo off, it loses the connection and it can require a reboot to get it to recognize the Oppo again. I haven't really researched that yet. I'll likely just keep the Oppo on 24/7 as I don't think that will hurt it.

I only use the Stick when I want to use HiRes, since it is much simpler to just use the Airplay connection to my AppleTv or Airport Express in the audio cabinet.

24. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Thank you. I think you are right that AirPlay is simpler but I find it's frustrating with sporadic dropouts. Where is your music kept? On a NAS or similar?

25. BayouTiger

I keep everything on my Pegasus R6 attached to my Mac Pro. I actually have a very robust back end and the only time I've had dropouts with anything is on the new AppleTV which will keep every app you use running in the background. You need to close them periodically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.