Roxio Creator DE... taking forever to burn audio discs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by OliverB, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliverB

OliverB Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently got a brand new Dell laptop with all the bells and whistles and enough disk space to last ten lifetimes... the newest version of Roxio Creator that came with it however, is giving me all kinds of headaches.

As I type this, I am attempting to burn a compilation and it is taking much, much too long. It indicates the target max burn speed is 24.0x yet for the past 5 minutes has still been "calculating..." the Current burn speed.

It shows Estimated time remaining as 49 minutes... to burn a 17 track CD-R of two and half minute each rock'n'roll songs??

Something is obviously wrong... it's so far taken over 4 minutes just to burn the first track.

Earlier this summer I attempted to backup a DVD and suffice to say, I had to cancel the project early-on as it would've taken two weeks!

Can anyone please give me some advice on what could be going wrong and causing me problems here? My harddrive is practically empty and my computer is otherwise lightning fast. The program was installed brand new, but I'm now regretting having not just paid for the latest version of Nero instead...

Why is it taking so long to burn music when I have such a fast drive and a brand new pc. It's a Dell Studio 17 with CD/DVD/BD driver and I was so sure upon purchasing that backing up my music folders would be a cinch with this new laptop.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

2. OliverB

When the progress bar nears the end (you'd expect there to be seconds left) it instead lingers for like 20 minutes which leads me to think that there must be some sort of error in finalizing the projects amd authoring the discs?

3. jrice

jrice Senior Member

If it's brand new, have you tried phoning Dell? To me, it sounds like your burner could be defective. Have you tried a different brand of blank disc? Some burners don't like some brands.

4. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

it is likely just junk software, probably copying the files to a temporary directory and then doing a "simulation" and then running in some crazy mode. Try some other software, check out cdburnerxp.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have a new Inspiron right now and the same software. I burned a compilation ripped with EAC and once the tracks were added in Creator DE, burned it in 8 minutes with no issues. Just played the disc and no issues.

6. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

You might look to see if there are any software updates for your version of the Roxio software. It's very possible that software was installed long before you received the computer.

And definitely try a different brand of blank CD-R. I've had problems with Memorex disks...

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another vote for different brand of blank disk.

Don't think Roxio is the problem... A lot of people including myself use it.

8. OliverB

Ive tried several brand of CDRs and DVDRs and the mostridiculous part of the story... I posted this thread at about 8:30am this morning, returned home at 6pm -- and it's still not completed!

The reason why I would like to avoid calling Dell is because I received my laptop in July (maybe late June) and the screen was defective. They shipped me a brand new laptop under warranty and advised that upon receipt, the delivery man would pick up the defective on in exchange. But when I returned home one afternoon this summer, I found a large box marked DELL on it and a brand new laptop. They never even asked me to ship the original back, so now I have two computers! It's been 4 months now and I don't think they realize. I'm trying to wait another couple of months and then resell the original for a couple grand to cover the costs of the initial purchase. At that point if they say anything, I'll just insist that I mailed it back and that it's been six months and I hadn't heard from them so I assumed everything was kosher. hehe, okay so maybe not the most morally pure scheme, but it's not everyday that you receive a free laptop!

Anyways, back to my Roxio problem... apart from the software upgrade, any other suggestions? It otherwise seems like a good program and I'd like to be able to use it. Is cdburnerexp up there and can it handle DVD and BD as well?

Thanks for the suggestions!

9. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

its a different sort of program, it will do cd and dvd no problem but I don't believe bluray. I would just use it for testing out if its a software or hardware problem, no need to jump ship.

10. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

11. OliverB

Thanks!

I downloaded the program and it looks great but two of my projects were rejected possibly due to disc compatibility... I only had a few Sony 700MB CDRs from a couple of years ago on hand and each was cancelled after seconds with the same error message popping up. I really hope this isn't a fault of my driver. I'm going to pick up some more blank media this afternoon and bring my "other" laptop home from work to double check and verify that the discs work. Any suggestions for quality CDRs that should work with the newest CD/DVD/BD drives?

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

13. OliverB

Thanks Sam, I just checked and DMA is enabled in all my drivers... Also, I believe that I'm working with Windows Vista and not XP.

14. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

It really isn't a good idea to post on a public forum that you are trying to steal a laptop from Dell.

15. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Dell Head Office: "Release the hounds....."

16. OliverB

Well I picked up brand new Fujifilm 80min 700MB CDRs last night and attempted to burn a disc with CDBurnerXP. I received the following error message:

An error occured while burning the disc. Most likely the disc is not usable. Usually these errors happen if the inserted media is not compatible to the drive or of poor quality.

Details --

Internal SDK error: CStarBurn_ScsiTransportSPTI::ExecuteCDB():Command failed

Valid = yes, CDB Size = 10, Sense Size = 32
    CDB = 35 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Sense00: 71 00 04 00 00 00 00 0A 34 14 04 80 09 02 00 00
    Sense10: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 80 00 00 00 00
    Transport Status = 0, Target Status = 2, Host Adaptor Status = 0

What the hell?!?

17. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Personally I would say that your first Dell had a defective screen and your second has a defective burner.

18. OliverB

I guess the moral is: don't buy dell? :realmad:

19. OliverB

The driver:

HD-DL-ST DVDRWBD CA10N ATA Device

20. terra1

terra1 New Member

Another thing worth a try is burning at a slower speed like 8x.

I have a Pentium III PC 500 mhz 256 Ram Memorex CD/DVD burner, ACER CD-Rom
    My system requirements are not the optimum but it works.

Takes about 6 min to rip with EAC from the ACER (I think 44x?)
    ~6 min burn with Nero 6 on the Memorex at 8x. Sometimes I got errors or failures at faster speeds.
    (I also corrected for offsets between the two drives)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.