Roxy Music "Complete Studio Recordings" 10 CD Box (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 1, 2012.

1. He is the bogus man. Seriously, harsh? These are the furtherest thing from "harsh" I can imagine.

kyouki and ShallowMemory like this.
  2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

if you want to believe this guy, go ahead. alternatively, if you're a fan of Roxy Music, you might want to buy this very reasonably priced set while it's in print and decide for yourself.

3. No, it appears he heard the boxed set from all descriptions. I'm perplexed but you can't please everyone all the time.

4. MaximilianRG

MaximilianRG Forum Resident

I'm not going to believe anything like that easily. I was more hoping for arguments against what he actually said, rather than to be told to believe him.

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

You haven't seen any bad reviews in this thread (and Part 1) have you?

kyouki and karmaman like this.
  6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

ok, nobody agrees with him about it being harsh. his comments about the limitations of redbook CD would apply to all CDs, not just this set. so i think his comments can safely be ignored. you will never see a 100% consensus on any title, but this set has received an overwhelming percentage of positive reviews from those who have actually heard it. remaining on the fence won't help you. what's the worst that can happen... you prefer the earlier masters? at least you'll have formed your own opinion and you'll have a very well regarded box that you can get most if not all of your money back on via the used market.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So don't buy it if pretty much every review in this thread being positive doesn't mean anything to you. Problem solved.

8. As someone (like that reviewer) who has had the original vinyl, the original CD releases (EG titles all West German pressings), the US releases, the Thrill of It All boxed set, the Ludwig remasters, I can tell you this is the best, most natural sounding release these albums have had on Redbook CD. Are they perfect? No. There are a couple of minor drop outs on For Yoir Pleasure. Maybe he's unhappy with the sound of the master tapes, I dunno but I can attest that these are among the best reissues of 2012. Will they be to your taste in mastering? I haven't heard the master tapes but, having heard many variations over the years, I dont think these could have been beat unless they were mastered by Steve or another acclaimed mastering engineer. They sound exceptionally good.

They sound warm, exhibiting the analog texture of the original recordings. There isn't any noise reduction evident. They are detailed without sacrificing the dynamic range, there's no peak limiting.Nice sound stage, depth.

kyouki likes this.
  9. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

It's not hi rez. sounds fine to me but not hi rez. to me all this discussion about red book cd sound quality is blather, nothing more. i am disappointed and will likely never see 24/96 resolution which could have easily be done.

10. MaximilianRG

The shop in m neighborhood has a used copy for $60. I'm going to trade in my 1999 HDCD's towards it.

11. Well but it's not blather. They could have sounded like crap but don't. I agree though about the hi Rez issue though since they probably prepared them but when the plug was pulled for the deluxe version, it bit the dust.

12. I hope you like them. Either way they are a definite improvement over the Ludwig's. Note that the guy in that review never indicated which version HE preferred. He may have loved the Ludwig's.

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

If the review mentions anything about killing mosquitos or other insects and headaches you may get a reply here via conversation.

14. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

No. Not a ****ing clue. Rate the sound poorly? Compared to what?

kyouki likes this.
  15. MaximilianRG

Done, done & done. Listening now.

16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Any chance this will show up on HDTracks? I'm still on the fence and know that if I pick it up, a High-Rez version will become available.

17. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I''ve had the Black Triangle, early West German, US and Japanese remasters. The box is the best for overall sound.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Bogus Man? Excellent.

And, yes, he is.

For a non-Steve-axis mastered product, this box has received as close to unanimously positive reviews as I can recall on these forums.

19. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thanks guys. Ok, I'm in. Amazon reviews are almost never helpful when it comes to remasters. Although, I have, on rare occasion, read some posts in other threads here praising remasters that I can't stand.
    But you've convinced me. Will order this. Btw, I actually like the HDCD remasters, and the original W German Flesh And Blood is great as well. Are these remasters really that good if you already have earlier versions (I have multiples.)

20. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident

Yes they are.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

If you like the HDCD remasters, you might not be crazy about these. They don't sound very similar at all, to me. I have a few of the HDCD remasters, and they sound much more aggressive than the box set. I really like the box set and prefer it, but if you really like the HDCD remasters, you might find this box set too laid back sounding.

22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Does anyone know whether the individual discs in this set will be available separately at some point?

23. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Thanks. Yeah, I get that they are more "laid back" which can be a good thing - when you crank it up. This may be a stupid question, but I'm most interested in how smooth they sound compared to the original W German cd's, which I love as well (except for Avalon, which just sounds blah.)

24. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Big fan since 1972 and after reappraisal I would say that this box is great for up to and including "Siren", they truly have never sounded better than I have ever heard. After that however, I still prefer the original E.G./Polydor versions, and "Avalon" SACD still reigns supreme.

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  25. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

If in any doubt read Onlyconnect's and my reviews on UK Amazon and Wayne's at Amazon.com. as we bought, played, and reported on them. I hear nothing harsh in these remasters at all, quite the opposite actually.